Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

storing fedoras

Well, Doc, I prefer boxes. They protect the hat from dust and light (yes, felt fades, if it is exposed to light for prolonged periods). I'd still like to find a glass-fronted antique case that I could mount againt a wall that gets no direct daylight. I could store my lids in it, where I could see them out of their boxes, and feel comfortable that I was taking good care of them.
What you really gotta watch out for is moths (in some locales) and mildew. It's a good idea to keep those lids in rotation, if for no other reason than it gives you a chance to take a look at 'em every now and then, just to make sure the bugs and/or spores ain't gettin' to 'em. The box probably won't protect against either.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
If you want to build a glass front case, contact your glass supplier and order "Museum Glass," which is made to filter out most of the UV light.

Museum Glass is used to frame valuable items for display.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
I struggle with that, too...

The only real drawback to hat collecting -- once you get past a few -- is the space they take up. You can hang or display 'em, but boxes of some sort are standard, though long-term storage may hurt the hat. I have several vintage lids that are faded or bleached where the cardboard form sat against the crown for years. It's the acid in the cardboard. Here's my blue Dobbs Jolly Rounder:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jtban1/album/576460762329105823/photo/294928803404086519/3
You can see the fading extending almost 3 inches up the crown, as well as the curving line on the brim where the bent form touched it.

In addition to the moth threat are silverfish. You can prevent both by using a cedar or lavendar chachet or simply cedar shavings in a sock or mesh bag. Over time you can revitalize the shavings by spraying a little cedar oil on them. Don't let them touch the hat.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I store about half my hats in boxes, as I only have boxes for about half my hats. The problem I find with doing this is accessing them. It becomes difficult to get to hats when they are halfway down a stack of hat boxes.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome to the Lounge Doc

If you have a hatter near go in and ask for "pliofilm" protectors. They are very thin hood shaped plastic covers ( think saran wrap thin) that will let you put the hat into the box retainer ring and not have it touch the cardboad directly. The cachets are a good idea in addition. If you don't have a hatter near, then Capas Headwear in NY will sell them to you. Since they deal alot with the trade there might be a minimum purchase but at least it's a source. I know they have a website but don't have the link.

Thanks for the tip, Absinthe.
And man, Snrbfshn, that's a serious drag. Can't say that I've ever seen that before, yet you've had it happen to several. Was there a period when hat box manufacturers used paper that contained more acid?
I wonder if anything can be done to save those lids. If the effects of the acid aren't very deep into the felt, perhaps the damage could be sanded out? Beats me.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Capas

Art Fawcett said:
If you have a hatter near go in and ask for "pliofilm" protectors. They are very thin hood shaped plastic covers ( think saran wrap thin) that will let you put the hat into the box retainer ring and not have it touch the cardboad directly. The cachets are a good idea in addition. If you don't have a hatter near, then Capas Headwear in NY will sell them to you. Since they deal alot with the trade there might be a minimum purchase but at least it's a source. I know they have a website but don't have the link.

Here you go...

www.capasheadwear.com

1-800-932-0257

Cellophane hat protectors 100 per package cost $15.00

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Good info...

Sharpetoys/Art - bingo on the pliofilm protectors. I have one that came with a newer Stetson, but had no clue where to find them.

Tonyb - I've wondered the same. I'll just have to send it off to one of our vendors who can assess the damage and possible fix. I have thought about replacing the ribbon on the Dobbs with a 2" dark blue one to hide most of the damage.

Barry

Practically Family
I live in a smallish condo I decided to get a wardrobe for extra storage. I was using the shelves and then decided to remove the shevles store some of my hats in this wardrobe. It's probably overkill, but so far I like it. I need to buy some more hooks :).

wardrobe.gif

Barry

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
IMG_2720.jpg

Then I've got twelve in boxes in the top of my closet, and another ten or so loose ones hanging around my room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley