Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Stuff

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
The Book of Philadelphia; 1894 by John B. Stetson Co.

Not mine (Ebay Photos)

Here are photos of The Book of Philadelphia; 1894 by John B. Stetson Co.

I do not believe this book was an actual hatters book, just a publication about Philadelphia which was sponsored by Stetson. Because it was sponsored by Stetson, there is of course a few Stetson adds. I thought it was interesting to see that Stetson made MILLER hats. I wonder when they stopped, if they ever did. I have seen the Miller name used into the 30's/40's with different addresses and logo scripts.

TheBookofPhiladelphia1894byJohnBStetsonCo1.jpg

TheBookofPhiladelphia1894byJohnBStetsonCo2.jpg

TheBookofPhiladelphia1894byJohnBStetsonCo3.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Josh, saw that book too. Too bad its not full of hat stuff. Seems that Miller was a "house brand" and Stetson made them for a while. Then Schoble made them. Don't recall what year that changed. You may find it in the ads I posted in the Schoble thread.

B

John Galt

Vendor
Re: Belgium Belly or Belgian Belly Hat Color

What do the colors "Belgain Belly" and "Beaver Belly" look like?

I was nearly going blind reading the old Stetson advertisments posted earlier in this thread and came across some colors that I wondered about.

If you look back in this thread at post # 69 down in the right corner you will see a nutria hat that comes in the color "Belgian Belly."

If you look at post #76 you will see a 3X beaver hat called the Pony Express that comes in "Buckskin or Beaver Belly" colors.

I recently won an old western Stetson that came in its original box, the hat is a light tan, or sahara color, on the outside of the box is a paper label, half of the label was torn off, but on the half that remains it says "belly."

Since the hat is not "silver belly" I am wondering if it might be "Belgian" or "Beaver" belly or some other "belly." How many bellies did Stetson have? Any guesses, or actual knowledge, will be apprciated. Thanks.

I didn't see an answer to this and was just doing that research myself. Belgian belly or "Belgium belly" appearently refers to the brownish mustardy yellowish color of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police hats. If you search for "Belgian Belly" you will find a RCMP web page that explains this, and also notes that "belly" is an abbreviation for Belgian Belly. For the use of the term in context, you can see a hat ad here http://americanhat.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_66&products_id=225 for a "Belgium Belly" colored cowboy hat. If you check out the Stetson Nutria Quality string, you can see a few examples, although I do not believe that they are noted as such.

I am lucky enough to have recently purchased a vintage Nutria Quality rancher style cowboy hat in this color, which is why I was researching this topic.

John

buler

I'll Lock Up
Stetson Letter 1907

Here is a Stetson letter signed by Albert T. Freeman from 1907. They are demanding their 90 cents from one of their customers. Also received the return letter. I've included some items on Freeman who rose thru the Stetson company quickly and then passed away.

B

stetson_letter_1.jpg

stetson_letter_2.jpg

stetson_letter_3.jpg

stetson_50th_anniversary_officers.JPG

stetson_50th_anniversary_1916.JPG

stetson_albert_freeman_obit.JPG

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Here is a Stetson letter signed by Albert T. Freeman from 1907. They are demanding their 90 cents from one of their customers. Also received the return letter. I've included some items on Freeman who rose thru the Stetson company quickly and then passed away.

B

stetson_letter_1.jpg

stetson_letter_2.jpg

stetson_letter_3.jpg

stetson_50th_anniversary_officers.JPG

stetson_50th_anniversary_1916.JPG

stetson_albert_freeman_obit.JPG

Very fascinating, thanks for sharing Buler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82