Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson "Nostalgia"? (now with pics)

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
Blackthorn said:
How have they held up over the last year or two? Do they fall apart/shrink/colors run, or has Stetson solved that problem and now they are dependable?

Blackthorn,

I have a Stetson Nostalgia in Caribou (gray) due in today at home. Won't be able to touch it until I get back on Sunday. I'll post some noggin shots before I send it off to Optimo for a silver blue brim binding.

On another related note in this thread, I just packed up my Mink Chatham and shipped to Optimo for a 9 ligne light brown binding and change out the ribbon to a 16 Ligne Dark Olive. The Chatham was the special one from Bencrafthats.com that had a 2 3/4" brim.

Merrill

carldelo

One Too Many
marvelgoose said:
Blackthorn,

I have a Stetson Nostalgia in Caribou (gray) due in today at home. Won't be able to touch it until I get back on Sunday. I'll post some noggin shots before I send it off to Optimo for a silver blue brim binding.

On another related note in this thread, I just packed up my Mink Chatham and shipped to Optimo for a 9 ligne light brown binding and change out the ribbon to a 16 Ligne Dark Olive. The Chatham was the special one from Bencrafthats.com that had a 2 3/4" brim.

Merrill

This will be interesting to see - please consider posting a new thread when your babies are back from the factory. I've considered adding a brim binding to my sage green Chatham to help arrest a minor rippling problem....

The edge that binds...

I really like how my Pinnacle turned out with a bound edge. I swapped out for a thinner ribbon, 12 ligne, & matched it with a 6 ligne edge binding in olive..
pin1.jpg

pin2.jpg

carldelo

One Too Many
gtdean48 said:
I really like how my Pinnacle turned out with a bound edge. I swapped out for a thinner ribbon, 12 ligne, & matched it with a 6 ligne edge binding in olive..

Nicely done - is that an Optimo refurb? I'm considering Worth & Worth as it's close by in NYC.

matei

One Too Many
So... what is the general consensus on the Nostalgia? The pics I saw of MK and Paddy modeling the hat look good.

I'm interested in this model, as it looks a bit more "Bogart-esque" than my higher-crowned/wider-brimmed '40s fedoras.

Any more pics out there?

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
matei said:
So... what is the general consensus on the Nostalgia? The pics I saw of MK and Paddy modeling the hat look good.

I'm interested in this model, as it looks a bit more "Bogart-esque" than my higher-crowned/wider-brimmed '40s fedoras.

Any more pics out there?
I ordered one a few hours ago, an early Christmas present. I don't know how long it'll take to get here, but I'll post pics when it does. I'm curious about how well it will last, too, given all that has been said here about it. Time will tell.

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
Nostalgia Noggin Shots

As promised to Blackthorn, a few quickie shots of the nostalgia before it goes to Optimo for the binding.

This is really a large, straight sided crown. First thing I did was put an Indy Bash in it and it was very close to some of the Feds. It is very pliable, thick, and fun to work with dry. In short order I did a diamond, a center crease, and a tear drop. I even attempted (for the very first time) a telescope. All of these shots are with a simple diamond. As you can see, I pushed the peak way up. Hey, I bought a tall crown, so I figure I'll use it. I'm 6'5" and a tall crown just makes me 6'9" or so. lol

First shot with a white phone so I could color balance it later.

100_0252.JPG

and a side shot

100_0253.JPG

a hand shot

100_0257.JPG

and the overhead

100_0256.JPG

CRH

Call Me a Cab
marvelgoose said:
.... Hey, I bought a tall crown, so I figure I'll use it. I'm 6'5" and a tall crown just makes me 6'9" or so. lol

Hey MG, you can look down on my lid any day :D.

Very fun crease you have.

100_0253.JPG

It fits you well.

:eusa_clap

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
Nostalgia Due

Optimo called back on Friday and the Nostalgia is being shipped so I should have it in a week and post shots.

Interesting note: I had noticed that the hat was snug and they said it measured right in at 23" and suggested that I have them resize it 1/2 size. What the heck, it's only money, and I really did not want them to ship it back so I could ship it back to Stirling Leather so they could reorder a new hat and wait another 6 weeks. Time= Money.

Soo I had Optimo rebuild a completely new hat. HATCO this icon is for you! :rage:

marvelgoose said:
Optimo called back on Friday and the Nostalgia is being shipped so I should have it in a week and post shots.

Interesting note: I had noticed that the hat was snug and they said it measured right in at 23" and suggested that I have them resize it 1/2 size. What the heck, it's only money, and I really did not want them to ship it back so I could ship it back to Stirling Leather so they could reorder a new hat and wait another 6 weeks. Time= Money.

Soo I had Optimo rebuild a completely new hat. HATCO this icon is for you! :rage:

Did you receive a hat marked 7 1/2? So it was not true to the marked size? :eusa_doh:

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
marvelgoose said:
Blackthorn,

Merrill

I'll be curious to hear how the Chatham is with the brim binding. I finally gave up on the new one I bought in February, and just use it as a rain hat - it's mainly the brim edge that's given me fits.

carldelo

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
What is wrong with the brim edge? Is the ribbon not tight to the edge?

The Chatham has a raw edge. It sounds like the same problem I'm having with mine - it's developed some ripples around the edge, and the snap is not so snappy anymore. I have worn mine in the rain quite a bit, and I was not very careful about storage afterwards. I'm debating whether to sell mine, try pressing it back into shape or having Worth & Worth add a brim binding.

carldelo said:
The Chatham has a raw edge. It sounds like the same problem I'm having with mine - it's developed some ripples around the edge, and the snap is not so snappy anymore. I have worn mine in the rain quite a bit, and I was not very careful about storage afterwards. I'm debating whether to sell mine, try pressing it back into shape or having Worth & Worth add a brim binding.

I wouldn't add a brim binding as the edge problem could be made worse with a rippled covering over it. :eusa_doh:
I guess you could have it cleaned and reblocked to get rid of the problems though. It might be cheaper just to sell that one and buy a new one though.
Ah, the good old days where hats were meant to be worn int he rain and were advertised as such. Stetson used to be Aquanized. [huh]

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
carldelo said:

Exactly. I might try ironing the brim. The hat has really nice lines.

Mark - the ribbon has always been an issue - it keeps riding up the crown. I only have two modern felt hats, and my Akubra Fed Deluxe blows the Chatham away.

ScottF said:

Mark - the ribbon has always been an issue - it keeps riding up the crown. I only have two modern felt hats, and my Akubra Fed Deluxe blows the Chatham away.

If the ribbon keeps riding up the crown then it is likely not sewn on well enough in enough places.
The rippling brim seems to be a common problem. Sounds like a blocking problem at the factory.

carldelo

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
I wouldn't add a brim binding as the edge problem could be made worse with a rippled covering over it. :eusa_doh:
I guess you could have it cleaned and reblocked to get rid of the problems though. It might be cheaper just to sell that one and buy a new one though.
Ah, the good old days where hats were meant to be worn int he rain and were advertised as such. Stetson used to be Aquanized. [huh]

Well, presumable a competent hatter will iron the brim prior to adding the binding, so that should take care of the ripples. The binding should significantly reduce the tendency to ripple. This slight rippling is the only drawback to my Chatham, and my pair of Ashlands with welted brims have exhibited no problems. I see no reason to once again lament 'the demise of Stetson' over a minor issue.

ScottF said:

I've had two Akubra (Sydney and Stylemaster), and the felt on the Chatham (Sovereign) and Ashland (Royal) is nicer in my opinion. I haven't seen a Fed Deluxe in person, but I do hear the felt is better than the others. The sweatbands in Akubra hats are far superior, also. I think one of the reasons Akubra hold their shape well is the prevalence of brim binding - most of them have it. I'm to the point where I really don't care for a raw edge - give me a welt or ribbon, or better yet, a Cav-edge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe