Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Softening a hard face / severe physique

Lear

One of the Regulars
Cross-posted: Style Forum

I've noticed how many (not all) 6'2" square jawed types, tend to gild the lily rather than softening their appearance. They'll go for the more extreme silhouettes etc, while ignoring anything that calls into question their macho status.

I'm now of the opinion that these types are most suited to the pink pocket square approach. That adding a few 'delicate' touches is what'll bring them back down to earth; making them less threatening, more approachable and ultimately more stylish.

Of course, none of this applies to me. I'm more Woody Allen than Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The only problem... who's going to tell them?

Lear (no double pomp here)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I've known a lot of big, imposing men, who seem to know it, and rock the pink, or mint green accessories. Sometimes it looks really good, even if I don't tend to think "oh, rose" when thinking of colors that I like on men.

I wondered if this was pure confidence, or also affected by complexion. It tends to be well-built (or at least large) black men I see in their "church clothes" carrying this off most effectively.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Viola said:
I wondered if this was pure confidence, or also affected by complexion. It tends to be well-built (or at least large) black men I see in their "church clothes" carrying this off most effectively.

Oh yes! I saw a very handsome black man recently in a serious pinstripe suit and lavender shirt, pocket square and tie. A guy with a different complexion would not have been able to carry that off and still look utterly masculine.

Lear

One of the Regulars
Mario said:
Hmmm...do you have someone particular in mind? Someone whose apperace tipped you over the edge and made you actually write this here?

Just an overall feeling of inferiority and inadequacy. I appear to surrounded by people in suits, looking more like bouncers than dapper chaps.

Lear

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I wear pink!!

There, "said it" and feel better for it...;)

Yes...Paddy wears pink shirts and pink ties and don't feel any less masculine for it, and no-one ever comes up to me and has an issue with it (just try it..!!).

TM Lewin shirtmakers in the UK and Thomas Pink (ironically!) make lovely cut mens' shirts in shades of pink. Goes nicely as a foil to a dark suit or a dark tie!! try it, you may just be surprised the compliments you generate ;)

Peacoat

Bartender
I am 6' 185, all muscle, well mostly muscle, and I wear pink ties and pink ball caps (but not at the same time!). Real men can wear pink. I wasn't going to admit it until Paddy coughed it up.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Peacoat said:
I am 6' 185, all muscle, well mostly muscle, and I wear pink ties and pink ball caps (but not at the same time!). Real men can wear pink. I wasn't going to admit it until Paddy coughed it up.

I don't wear pink, as it tends to look bad with my complexion, and I don't particularly need softening as I am very slim and have fine features as opposed to chiseled ones. My brother on the other hand, who is 6'8" and 225 with an Atlas drop from his chest to waist, as well as more rectangular face shape and a lighter complexion pulls of the pink look rather regularly. I think boutonnières would help with this also.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll wear any pastel, so long as it coordinates well with my suit and tie. [huh]

In fact, I tend to prefer pastels and whites over hard colors like red and blue.

btw, I'm 6'3" and built. Maybe that's why no one has said anything? lol

Mav

A-List Customer
Viola said:
My black buddies can pull off clothing I could never wear. Suit colors, especially in lighter brown tones. While discussing this over several drinks one night, one told me, "yeah, but you guys can wear bow ties. They make me look like a bouncer for the Black Muslim Bakery."

Pink works. I'm not particularly physically large (5' 11", about 180), but I've got a fairly severe- looking face, and a somewhat darker complexion than the usual Irish- blooded guy. Pastel, and pink in particular, tends to take the edge off of the crags, lines, and bone definition, and makes me look less like an ex- convict.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
My uber-masculine father wears flowered shirts. And he'd look great in pink or lavendar; he just seems to prefer blue or white.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe