Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Size question

Faux59

Familiar Face
Hello Fedora!

I'm hoping the good members here can assist me understand how this would fit. I have it in my head to get an old jacket and I'm eyeing this one from Aero's website. I also have it in my head to be pro made in Canada and "likely of Canadian origin" has me intrigued! lol

I'm 5'8", 39" chest and I only wear T shirts. My 42" Premier 30s Highwayman fits well. It's not loose or tight. Like Goldilocks. It's just right. This vintage jacket is 42" too but with a pit to pit nearly 4" wider. Would this extra width make it wear baggy or too loose?

My Premier
Pit to Pit: 22.5"
Back Measurements: 24.25"
Shoulder Measurements: 18.25"
Hem - At Widest: 21.0"

Unknown maker
Pit to Pit: 26.25"
Back: 25"
Shoulder: 20.25"

https://www.aeroleatherclothing.com...maker----brown-horsehide--42----cb-006/cb-006

Eagledog

New in Town
It will be huge with a 52.5" chest and 40.5" at the shoulder.
Shoulders will ride on your biceps and sleeves will cover your hands

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
This is how it would fit:
potato_sack.PNG

Eagledog

New in Town
Post a few pictures wearing your perfect highwayman with you tee shirt tucked in so we can see what look you are going for.

bigmanbigtruck

A-List Customer
39" chest with your 42 highwayman would give you about 6" chest ease, which could probably work but just a tad into the baggier side.

The Canadian sports jacket will be way too big for you. Nearly 1 foot of chest ease.
It could be a mistake on the website or something, maybe you could email and confirm if that is indeed the right measurement.
For a sports jacket tagged 42, it seems to be too large on the chest measurement. Usually, you'd expect to see something like 22.5-23.5".

bigmanbigtruck

A-List Customer
Looks like it fits well.
And yeah, the measurements are a better gauge than tag size in general.
One mfg's 42 might be another mfg's 38.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
The Primo HWM fits you very well! This is not easy to size, so wear it in good health!

Aero‘s premier line fits about one size up from their normal sizing, so you would be a „true“ size 40 (38 in Aero‘s boxy 1950s patterns).

A P2P of above 26“ is nowhere near your size. While a 25“ back gets away as appropriate for size 42 (as in „a guy of average height with an average length torso), the chest is more like a size 46 or 48 in western sizing.

Faux59

Familiar Face
Thanks again! I'll look elsewhere.

The Primo HWM fits you very well! This is not easy to size, so wear it in good health!

Aero‘s premier line fits about one size up from their normal sizing, so you would be a „true“ size 40 (38 in Aero‘s boxy 1950s patterns).
Thanks and you're right. I have a 50s Bootlegger STF that's 40" and I sent Aero pictures of me wearing it to finalize the Highwayman. I originally chose 40" for the Highwayman but they suggested 42".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1