Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

SteveAS

Practically Family
Slightly Oscar Tango but yesterday morning my smoke detector went off. And it wasn't just the intermittent beeps when the battery is low, it went off like crazy as if there was a fire. The strangest part is that I couldn't find anything that could have set it off . . .

Even stranger, I had exactly this happen in the middle of the night a few days ago. Really!

My wife was pretty excited to find the set. She's been looking for quite some time and had very little luck finding a complete set. Gotta love those thrift stores! ...

Just stumbled across this set on etsy ...

http://www.etsy.com/listing/7041335...ga_search_query=pyrex&ga_order=most_relevant&

Kinda makes me think that whatever (undoubtedly much lower) amounts were paid for our sets was money well spent. I remind myself, though, that just because someone asks that kind of money (ninety-five f#@*%in' dollars!) doesn't mean she'll get it. I know that I wouldn't pay anything at all close to that much.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I snatched this for thirty dollars today. It's a gold-filled Conway Stewart fountain pen. According to an engraving on the barrel, it's from December, 1942 and was a Christmas present to a Mr. R. Jemmeson.

This is the box that came with the pen...
IMG_0310.jpg

The pen itself. As you can see, it's shorter than the slot in the box. I suspect box & pen aren't original to each other.
IMG_0311.jpg

Nib + Clip with the 'CS' diamond monogram:
IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

The back of the pen. The gold end-piece on the back of the barrel broke and was rattling around inside the barrel. With a pair of tweezers, I've pushed it back to the end of the cap where it should be.

Maybe a bit blurry, but...

IMG_0314.jpg

'R Jemmeson. Xmas 1942'

A bit of digging reveals...

Obituary for Mr. William Robert Jemmeson (1878-March 28th, 1954). Gippsland Times, Monday, March 29th, 1954

I wonder if it was his pen? If so, it hasn't travelled very far. From Gippsland to Melbourne. There's also his son, John Robert Jemmeson (Born 1907)...

Last edited:
I was out pounding the pavement today, as I do every Saturday and Sunday. I hope tomorrow is as good to me as today was!

Old Magnavox Stereo Console, came with the extra speakers. Everything works like brand new.

GEDC0002.jpg

GEDC0003.jpg

I came up with a variety of old Irons, too. General Electric, Regal, and Hotpoint.
I'm also a fan of these vintage-scene pictures, so I picked those up, too.

GEDC0004.jpg

I had one of these glasses, and really liked it. It broke about a month ago, and now I came across a set.

GEDC0002-1.jpg

I lived in Portage from my Freshman to Senior years, but didn't graduate in 1978! (Although my father graduated that year)

GEDC0010.jpg

Last edited:

Alex

Practically Family
Here's some things I've acquired:
IMG_0929.JPG

IMG_0933.JPG

Both are pretty nice. The Husky doesn't oscillate but it's supposed to.
The Emerson works great with a slight rattle but it oscillates well.

Just the things for outdoor entertaining, and they're both in keeping with that '60s vibe we got happening around here, although I doubt the glass jug dates from then.

Got the glass one for a coupla bucks (as I recall) a few weeks ago, and the metal Thermos picnic jug for $3.99 plus tax at the Value Village this afternoon.

GEDC0430.jpg

TackCollector

Familiar Face
I'm glad I'm not the only one who drags home old stuff, lol.

Lamp base from thrift store, $4, topped with vintage hand painted shade from eBay for only $32. Awesome, if I do say so myself. The house it's in was built in 1906 or so.
DSCN4766.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who drags home old stuff, lol. ...

Dragging home old stuff is a way of life for lots of us. Me, I try not to buy much of anything new that can be had secondhand (or third or fourth or ... ), and really, most of my home furnishings and much of my clothing are the sorts of things that just can't be bought new anyway.

Nice scores, by the way. Whaddya suppose the original owner of that sofa and chair set paid for it?

Last edited:
Thank you! I was thrilled about the console, it's just dripping in 50's cool!

AtomicEraTom,

You did very well!

Love, love the console and it's in stereo and you have the thingie to play 45's!!

Thanks! I see you made quite a haul, too!

Tom you have a lot of awesome stuff!!

Every time I see something vintage at a thrift shop, I can't leave it there. They're like lost puppy dogs to me. Really like this with the GWTW lamp shade on it!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who drags home old stuff, lol.

Lamp base from thrift store, $4, topped with vintage hand painted shade from eBay for only $32. Awesome, if I do say so myself. The house it's in was built in 1906 or so.

Just the things for outdoor entertaining, and they're both in keeping with that '60s vibe we got happening around here, although I doubt the glass jug dates from then.

Got the glass one for a coupla bucks (as I recall) a few weeks ago, and the metal Thermos picnic jug for $3.99 plus tax at the Value Village this afternoon.

GEDC0430.jpg

That thermos jug brings back fond memories of family picnics. Though our's was red.

Last edited:
Slim picks for this weekend. I picked up a 1961 Sinatra record, a few bonsai posts, a Lane Cedar chest miniature give away thing and a glass kerosene lamp. Not bad I guess. One estate sale was loaded with paintings and prints. Too bad I have no idea what that stuff is worth. :p
The Thermos reminds me of me scrubbing the heck out of my old coleman cooler for a party this weekend. I suppose I shouldn't store it in my faux wishing well outside again. :p

The Thermos reminds me of me scrubbing the heck out of my old coleman cooler for a party this weekend. I suppose I shouldn't store it in my faux wishing well outside again. :p

Loaned one my coolers (one I bought new at regular retail a couple of years ago, which pained me deeply, but desperate circumstances sometimes demand drastic measures) and some blocks of Blue Ice to a friend on Friday. Better go ask after it.

I routinely clean these sorts of things with a weak bleach solution before I put 'em to use. The spigots especially are prone to harboring germs, or so I've been told. A couple of gallons of water (I think that's what it holds) and a cup or so of bleach, let it sit for, oh, 10 minutes, and then let it all drain through the tap. Rinse it out and let it dry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe