Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

RBH

Bartender
My wife picked this 1929 Philco radio up at a yard sale a few weeks ago for $25.
It still works. I plan to try and repair the panel that is missing the bottom.
I have a friend in Covington that is a woodworker that thinks he can fix it
without too much of a problem.
I like the rough look of the cabinet, but would really like the panel fixed.
I have also found a site for a new grille cloth, the original had a scroll work grill over the cloth.
There were two models in '29, one with a scroll work grill and one with just a grille cloth.

001avrt.jpg

DNO

One Too Many
No pics, but yesterday I found an Akubra Pastoralist in excellent condition at a Goodwill store while today my wife found a complete set of Pyrex "primary colours" mixing bowls dating from the '40's at yet another local thrift store. Good hunting this week.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I saw a rabbit-fur felt trilby at a local charity shop today. $30. Chocolate brown.

Might've bought it, but it was too small. And that's saying something. My head ain't that big.

DNO

One Too Many
Very nice. The Akubra fit just fine but I have to admit I quite dislike the Pastoralist bash (it looked like someone cut the top of my hat off!)...so I rebashed it with a higher crown, a teardrop crease and a nice front pinch. Much better. I wore it all day today. It proved to be a very comfortable hat. I was pretty excited to find it...and it only cost $5. (It's the hat I'm wearing in my new avatar)

No pics, ... my wife found a complete set of Pyrex "primary colours" mixing bowls ...

A buddy procured a set of those for me something like 15 years ago (I asked him to be on the lookout, as his business has him hitting a dozen or more yard/garage sales on a typical Saturday). They get used pretty much constantly and are little the worse for the wear. Quality stuff, for sure, considering they were "vintage" when they came my way.

DNO

One Too Many
A buddy procured a set of those for me something like 15 years ago (I asked him to be on the lookout, as his business has him hitting a dozen or more yard/garage sales on a typical Saturday). They get used pretty much constantly and are little the worse for the wear. Quality stuff, for sure, considering they were "vintage" when they came my way.

My wife was pretty excited to find the set. She's been looking for quite some time and had very little luck finding a complete set. Gotta love those thrift stores! Today I found a 3x Beaver Stetson western hat...all beat up and in a sorry state, but I really just want to hone my hat cleaning and shaping skills. It was exactly what I was looking for.

Happy Jack

A-List Customer
My wife was pretty excited to find the set. She's been looking for quite some time and had very little luck finding a complete set. Gotta love those thrift stores! Today I found a 3x Beaver Stetson western hat...all beat up and in a sorry state, but I really just want to hone my hat cleaning and shaping skills. It was exactly what I was looking for.

Love the Goodwill & Value Village

I like the Hat your wearing

DNO

One Too Many
Love the Goodwill & Value Village

I like the Hat your wearing

Thanks! That's the Akubra I found a Goodwill this week...very comfy. Wore it out in the rain yesterday and it came through like a trooper. Nice hat. I've also found hats from Stetson, Dobbs and Bates of London at local Goodwills and Value Villages. My wife and I used to attend a lot of rural auctions around Toronto. When I retired last year we started making daily trips to different Goodwills and Value Villages...they blow the auctions out of the water! Great fun and great hunting. We're lucky that we have quite a few of the stores within a half-an-hour drive from us.

Last edited:

wahine

Practically Family
happy or sad - sometimes just a wink of an eye

sometimes, you can go from happy to sad in just a moment (don't you hate when that happens?)

the day before yesterday, I got a very cute radiogram at a household clearance, for a reasonable price. It worked fine, I took it home, played some records. At the fourth record or so, the turntable slowed down, down, down, and stopped altogether. Well, that was it, so far. :(

Too bad about the bum phonograph in that unit, wahine, but I'd be tickled just to have the cabinet. It looks '50s vintage, right? Radio works okay? Judging from the pictures, the cabinet is in good condition. That thing could fetch quite a bit around here.

It's a shame about the turntable, but it is a beautiful piece of equipment!

sometimes, you can go from happy to sad in just a moment (don't you hate when that happens?)

the day before yesterday, I got a very cute radiogram at a household clearance, for a reasonable price. It worked fine, I took it home, played some records. At the fourth record or so, the turntable slowed down, down, down, and stopped altogether. Well, that was it, so far. :(

Picked these up last weekend.

This one's my favorite pick of the weekend. The US flag has 49 Stars, from the period between admission of Alaska and Hawaii to the Union.

GEDC1037-1.jpg

GEDC1038-1.jpg

I love just about anything with the 48 star flag on it.

GEDC1039-1.jpg

This design was popular for Schlitz advertising around 1957.

GEDC1036-1.jpg

Not too old, but certainly of a dying breed. The turntable doesn't seem to work at all, couldn't get it to spin. The radio and 8-track do work, though. Listened to 1957 Country Gold on it today. The speakers, I already had.

GEDC1040-1.jpg

wahine

Practically Family
Too bad about the bum phonograph in that unit, wahine, but I'd be tickled just to have the cabinet. It looks '50s vintage, right? Radio works okay? Judging from the pictures, the cabinet is in good condition. That thing could fetch quite a bit around here.

I'd say besides the record player problem it's in okay condition over all. The outside (wood, doors etc) is pretty good. The record player has some wear-offs (sorry if I use the wrong words, my head doesn't work quite right today). The radio does work but with the built-in antenna, it doesn't receive more than two stations (short wave, medium wave and VHF). I was being told I could attach a separate antenna and would get a much better reception by that.

I'll try to find someone to have a look at the record player. I kinda fell in love with that thing and want to keep and use it. My records want to be played! ;)

wahine

Practically Family
I hope it can be fixed. Unfortunately, I have no experience with repairing technical devices. I have a "service manual" with instructions how to work on what, but I don't understand all the technical vocabulary. I'm not so sure if it's a good idea to work on it without really knowing what I do - I could damage it even further, don't you think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe