Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your lamps!

The real Henry

Practically Family
We're going to built lamps in school, which we can design however we want!
So I decided to make a 1930's looking one. My problem is, that I've nothing I liked by now, so could you post pics of your favourite table lamp from the golden era?

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Henry -- My suggestion is that you might be able to acquire a Sears catalog from that era that displays the table lamps they sold. There might also be books out there, perhaps some FL members will know. Or perhaps there are vintage lamps or catalogs posted on Ebay that would give you some ideas.

I asked my mother about it. Her family was rather poor. She does not recall table lamps, rather the houses her family lived in had a lot of overhead light --sometimes two in a room. If you were poor, you might have a bare bulb and a light cord hanging down to turn it on; if you had some money, you might have chandeliers of varying sizes and prices. Mother does recall a kersone lamp, which was used for the dining room table.

What you didn't have was as many light sockets as we do now. You had a radio, maybe a lamp, an electric fan in hot weather. I recall my grandmother had to stand on a chair to plug in a toaster up by the overhead light because there were no sockets to plug it in. Same with the iron once she got an iron. (Before that, of course, she had several irons she kept hot on a wood burning stove.)

Anyway, hope there are some folks out there who can give you some pictures of table lamps.

karol

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
I saw the thread title and thought i was going to get a grand sight.

oh well ...

bk
Not what you were thinking of....but hey...its a major prize sort of lamp ;)

8138.jpg

shamus

Suspended
Here's a little gem I picked up the other day. You don't find many like this one. And the base is really heavy. Original everything. Check out that speckled paint!

lamp11.jpg

lamp2.jpg

decodoll

Practically Family
hmm...I have a couple of boudoir lamps from the 30's, but they're glass and kinda pink and girly. I'm guessing not really what you're looking for...

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
decodoll said:
hmm...I have a couple of boudoir lamps from the 30's, but they're glass and kinda pink and girly. I'm guessing not really what you're looking for...

Post 'em decodoll!

--------------------------

Here's one of a matched pair - my grandfather's, from the 1920's, reminds me of their family room - isn't that something how you never get over missing your grandparents

temp_lamp01.jpg
temp_lamp02.jpg
temp_lamp03.jpg

decodoll

Practically Family
Okay...here ya go... :) The shades are more recent, I'm sure.

BoudoirLampCollage.jpg

(I made it all fancy :D )

and this one, which I just remembered. I'm guessing it's from the 30's. I am not an expert on lamps by any means...

decolamp.jpg

Mycroft

One Too Many
Great topic, man. I do not have any digital photos,but my family used to own a lamp company(ies) one in 1930's-40's, I think and then another that from the 1950's to about the 1970's they are called Laurel Lamps out of NJ and the other one from the 30's I do not remeber on hand. Look for real 60ish lamps with mushroom shapes and they may be Laurel Lamps, if you post yours I may be able to ID them as Laurel's or not.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
lamp.jpg

My new (old) lamp I got this weekend with Queenie. Don't know much about it, but I sure love it! My mom and I traded stuff this weekend. I gave her furniture, and she bought me a lamp :)

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
The real Henry said:
We're going to built lamps in school, which we can design however we want!
So I decided to make a 1930's looking one. My problem is, that I've nothing I liked by now, so could you post pics of your favourite table lamp from the golden era?

Henry,

These are all from a 1942 book so there's nothing after 42; they're probably in fact mostly from the 1930's.

This should generate some ideas so you can come up with something original & unique or your own, but with a distinctive 1930s - early 40s dignity:

tmp_lamp01.jpg
tmp_lamp02.jpg
tmp_lamp03.jpg
tmp_lamp50.jpg
tmp_lamp51.jpg
tmp_lamp52.jpg
tmp_lamp53.jpg
tmp_lamp54.jpg
tmp_lamp55.jpg
tmp_lamp56.jpg

(continued...)

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
tmp_lamp77.jpg
tmp_lamp78.jpg
tmp_lamp79.jpg
tmp_lamp80.jpg
tmp_lamp81.jpg
tmp_lamp82.jpg
tmp_lamp83.jpg
tmp_lamp84.jpg
tmp_lamp85.jpg
tmp_lamp86.jpg

If anyones interested the book is "House & Garden's Complete Guide to Interior Decoration", really good, includes floor furniture layouts (which I mainly got the book for), scale & proportion, everything, 1942.

(sometimes you have to go "by the book" to get away from a "tacky flea market brick-a-brack" look and more of an "authentic 30s-40s" look... guess that's what happens when you hang out at flea markets too long...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe