Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shell Cordovan Florsheim Saddle shoes...or are they?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I picked these up for less than $30 off of that popular action site. They fit like gloves and they're of the same quality as my '30s Florsheims(art deco two-tone gray pair I've posted before). I'd put their date of manufacture in the '70s to the early '80s.

What I'm wondering is if they're actually shell cordovan. They were listed as such, but having never come in contact with such a beast, I'm wondering what to look for. I know shell cordovan doesn't wrinkle like regular leather, so I posted a shot of the 'ball' of the foot area, where shoes wrinkle the most.

cordovan_florsheims_01.jpg

cordovan_florsheims_02.jpg

Barry

Practically Family
I am not sure if these are shell cordovan. I think they might be calfskin. For $30 though they look awesome. A little edge dressing and they'll look great.

I have two pairs of shell cordovan shoes. The leather has a waxy appearance - I can practically run a horsehair brush or a cloth over them and they look like new. I rarely polish them. My shoes are not as old as those but there are absolutely no wrinkles in the leather. They are completely smooth.

Teacher

Familiar Face
Orgetorix is right. In addition, the crease areas will be lighter than the surrounding leather on shell cordovan. But hey, for thirty bucks, you just couldn't go wrong!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley