Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Self-made "vintage" ties

Frog_808

New in Town
There is a huge selection of vintage ties, with thousands of patterns, colours and shapes.
There should be something for every taste. But what if you have two favourite ties that you would like to combine into one?
That's the question I asked myself and I'm thinking about making my own tie in the style of the 1940s.
Has anyone had any experience with this?

I have found that there are two main types of sewing patterns:

A symmetrical pattern, as one would intuitively expect. Unfortunately I have only found this for a 3.5" wide tie, but would like to make a 4.5" tie.
I have therefore taken apart an old tie with a large white paint stain and hope to be able to use this as a pattern.

And then there are these asymmetrical, curved patterns (mostly from McCall). I never thought you could cut a tie out of it until I printed it out on a piece of paper and made a tie out of it with scissors and glue. It works and I have a few ties made from such a pattern, but I don't understand why you would use such a crooked, curved pattern when you can make it easier.
Does anyone know about this?

Furthermore, I have to decide in which printing method I want to use. The company I already have my eye on prints digitally. The advantage is that all colour combinations can be created, but does it look as nice as the colours of the old ties? I would use viscose/acetate as the fabric; preferably with a woven structure, but this is only offered by this supplier for large order quantities.

For me, as someone who tinkers with vintage electronics at home, designing the pattern (I will probably use Adobe illustrator) will be the biggest challenge.
Time will tell if I will eventually complete it, or if it will remain one of my many unfinished projects.

Best regards!

Attachments

• MC518.png
    MC518.png
    298.1 KB · Views: 33
  • S4816.png
    S4816.png
    250.2 KB · Views: 33

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member