Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeking Advice: Reshaping a Jacket

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars
In 2019 I bought a new Schott P613S in color 8 CXL steerhide. I put this jacket through the ringer and it became everything I wanted it to be, checking off all the desirable boxes we talk about here. The leather broke in, developing creases, patina and character galore. But most importantly, it shaped to my body with perfection. The jacket is mine, through and through.

Last fall I was caught in a heavy downpour while traveling on the bike and after several hours in the rain, the jacket was soaked through. I eventually rode out of the rain, into a clear, sunny sky, for another two hours before arriving home, so the jacket had time to thoroughly dry while wearing it in the riding position.

Because I was layered up more than usual with a thick hoodie underneath, it reshaped to my size and position with the extra layers. This resulted in it stretching significantly wider, especially the pit-to-pit, but also losing over an inch in body length. Since then, I’ve only worn it a few times, because it’s just not comfortable anymore. Appearance wise, it’s not very noticeable, but I FEEL the difference. The high-cut armholes used to be perfectly tucked in my armpits, where I want them, but now it’s too wide. The belt used to synch down just under my meager stomach roll, holding the jacket in place. Now the belt tightens an inch or so higher, above my beltline, which is uncomfortable and makes the jacket rise up with movement in a way it didn’t before. I also have to fasten it another notch tighter than before, due to the stretching.

Additionally, the extra space in the torso makes it inflate like a balloon while riding, which just sucks. It does fit nicely with that same hoodie underneath, but there are very limited times when I’d choose to ride with that particular layering combination.

Needless to say, this is very frustrating and more than a little disappointing. Since I have other jackets, I find myself avoiding this one because it’s not as comfortable. But I love this jacket. It’s my only CXL jacket, only burgundy jacket, and I’ve worked so hard to bring the leather to its current state of characterful appeal. It also has sentimental value, as it’s been my jacket of choice to travel with. I’ve had so many experiences and made so many memories in this jacket.

I attempted to stretch the body length back out by hanging it, wet, with weights tied around the bottom hem with rope. To no avail.

Have any of you had similar experiences with jackets stretching wider and also shorter?

Have you found a solution?

Should I just continue to wear it and hope it reshapes to me again? Just accept it as is? Sell it and move on with my life?

Is there hope for it shrinking down again after stretching? I don’t want to attempt a shrink in the torso that might lead to it becoming even shorter.

I’m open to any advice, suggestions, or commiseration. If nothing else, it will help me to share the experience with this group who can relate.

Thanks for reading.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
That is a tough one. It is so much easier to stretch a jacket (when wet), than to shrink it. On top of that, your jacket has stretched and shrank dimensionally (stretched equatorially and shrank axially). That is just brutal, because if you even try to shrink it back (not advisable) by wetting it and heat-drying, it will shrink axially even more. If it bothers you as-is, sell it.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I would suggest to soak the jacket again, in room temperature water, not cold not hot, just luke warm enough for the waxes to be semi malleable, and then pull the length to where you want it to be, and then let it dry on a rack. Keep checking on it periodically and keep stretching the length if needed. In theory, the pull to new (old) length will take leather from wherever it can, that is the wild card, but you can only focus on one thing at a time, and the length seems to be the one to be dealt with first. Good luck. If the leather is thick, you might end up with new (old) length and baggy armpits still with thinner spots along the torso somewhere, this would be the worst case scenario.

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars
I would suggest to soak the jacket again, in room temperature water, not cold not hot, just luke warm enough for the waxes to be semi malleable, and then pull the length to where you want it to be, and then let it dry on a rack. Keep checking on it periodically and keep stretching the length if needed. In theory, the pull to new (old) length will take leather from wherever it can, that is the wild card, but you can only focus on one thing at a time, and the length seems to be the one to be dealt with first. Good luck. If the leather is thick, you might end up with new (old) length and baggy armpits still with thinner spots along the torso somewhere, this would be the worst case scenario.
Thanks for your suggestion. It sounds reasonable enough. The leather is indeed very thick, which will make stretching a chore, but it's worth a shot. More length, even with the wider chest is at least one problem solved.

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars
That is a tough one. It is so much easier to stretch a jacket (when wet), than to shrink it. On top of that, your jacket has stretched and shrank dimensionally (stretched equatorially and shrank axially). That is just brutal, because if you even try to shrink it back (not advisable) by wetting it and heat-drying, it will shrink axially even more. If it bothers you as-is, sell it.
I was thinking the same thing. If shrinking axially is its tendency, it's likely to happen more if I attempt a shrink. If I can at least stretch the length a bit, I can reserve it for colder days when I want to layer comfortably.

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars
Soak the jacket then ride in the sun till it dries… no layers. Also :
Get a rain suit….
Might be this simple, eh?
I dress for the rain when I know it's coming. Unfortunately, the weather changed completely from what was forecasted, and I only had one way home.

@LordOfLeather - I'm sorry to hear that but sadly, there isn't anything you can do to return the jacket to its previous size, shape and form.

Tanning process (drying part of the process, to be precise) will always shrink leather to an extent. The more it shrinks, the more it can stretch and the only way to stretch a leather jacket to get it soaked - Which is what you inadvertently did.

Subjecting it either to hot water or dry-heat will further shrink or worse yet, warp the already shrunken parts & while parts that have been left stretched might shrink back, they won't ever return their initial state.

Also, forget about soaking & pulling on individual parts of the jacket. That doesn't work. Leather isn't clay.

Anyhow, if you don't care what happens to the jacket, @TREEMAN's advice is the best - Soak it in a bathtub filled with warm water, put it on while it's wet, zip it up & go for a long ride during a warm, sunny day. The hot soak just might drop it down a size so that you could reshape it to your body again.

This of course won't fix the length issue (and it might further accentuate it) & it will warp your jacket, though. Considerably at that, knowing CXL.

Or... There's a (much) better but tougher way, one that requires time and patience.
Wear this jacket and this jacket alone for an entire year, whatever the conditions outside. Let the elements mold & form it you by shrinking it back and forth until it completely sets into place again. That's all it takes if you're willing to commit to it but since you have a lot of leather jackets & enjoy wearing them all... I know this isn't something I could do.

Honestly, though... I'd just sell it and move on.

And whatever else you get as a replacement, avoid CXL. CXL is not a good leather to be worn and it is a horrible leather to be worn on a motorcycle. It's not supposed to get wet and it's not supposed to get dirty. Since it's oily af, anything other than water will permanently discolor it & merely touching it leaves marks. It's BS.

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars
@LordOfLeather - I'm sorry to hear that but sadly, there isn't anything you can do to return the jacket to its previous size, shape and form.

Tanning process (drying part of the process, to be precise) will always shrink leather to an extent. The more it shrinks, the more it can stretch and the only way to stretch a leather jacket to get it soaked - Which is what you inadvertently did.

Subjecting it either to hot water or dry-heat will further shrink or worse yet, warp the already shrunken parts & while parts that have been left stretched might shrink back, they won't ever return their initial state.

Also, forget about soaking & pulling on individual parts of the jacket. That doesn't work. Leather isn't clay.

Anyhow, if you don't care what happens to the jacket, @TREEMAN's advice is the best - Soak it in a bathtub filled with warm water, put it on while it's wet, zip it up & go for a long ride during a warm, sunny day. The hot soak just might drop it down a size so that you could reshape it to your body again.

This of course won't fix the length issue (and it might further accentuate it) & it will warp your jacket, though. Considerably at that, knowing CXL.

Or... There's a (much) better but tougher way, one that requires time and patience.
Wear this jacket and this jacket alone for an entire year, whatever the conditions outside. Let the elements mold & form it you by shrinking it back and forth until it completely sets into place again. That's all it takes if you're willing to commit to it but since you have a lot of leather jackets & enjoy wearing them all... I know this isn't something I could do.

And whatever else you get as a replacement, avoid CXL. CXL is not a good leather to be worn and it is a horrible leather to be worn on a motorcycle. It's not supposed to get wet and it's not supposed to get dirty. Since it's oily af, anything other than water will permanently discolor it & merely touching it leaves marks. It's BS.
I like this plan in theory, but you’re absolutely right that I own too many jackets and enjoy wearing them all. Hard to wear one jacket for all occasions when I have a jacket that fits each one.

I share your sentiment about CXL. I like it in some ways but it is not a practical leather for jackets. This was the hardest jacket I’ve ever broken in. It really felt like something I had to conquer, which is partially why I don’t want to let it go. Even broken in and well-fitting, it’s the least comfortable leather in my collection. I won’t be buying another CXL jacket.

I appreciate your input. I have come contemplating to do.

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars

I will say that, aside from long exposure to heavy rain, it has repelled water very well (thanks to all those oils). It’s usually a jacket I prefer if light rain is forecast because it keeps me dry. But too much of anything is a problem.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I'm saddened to hear this story, and rightly so as it does indeed take a lot of work to break in CXL leather.
Did you have any photos of the jacket to share - as-is?

I think what most have said here - sell & move on, is the most effective choice. Hard to do as there's lot of sentimental value, but efforts to re-adjust what has already been adjusted, may not lead to positive results.

And - yes, I've hiked in "upper" Michigan when no rain was called for, but came anyway, and hours later it finally ended. Just happens in a state with so much lakeshore.

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars
I'm saddened to hear this story, and rightly so as it does indeed take a lot of work to break in CXL leather.
Did you have any photos of the jacket to share - as-is?

I think what most have said here - sell & move on, is the most effective choice. Hard to do as there's lot of sentimental value, but efforts to re-adjust what has already been adjusted, may not lead to positive results.

And - yes, I've hiked in "upper" Michigan when no rain was called for, but came anyway, and hours later it finally ended. Just happens in a state with so much lakeshore.
Thanks for commiserating. I’m not sure if you want pictures of it on me or just the jacket, so here are some of both I just took now.
IMG_2880.jpeg

View attachment IMG_2894.jpeg
The “lake effect” is definitely a real thing in Michigan, and this was indeed a scenario as you described in the northern part of the state. Weather called for full sun all weekend, but I’ve lived here long enough to know better.

Attachments

• IMG_2891.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 35

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars
I’d like to thank you all for sharing your input. I’ve worn the jacket the past four days, and have developed a new acceptance and appreciation for it.

If I stop thinking of the jacket relative to what it was, and just consider it for what it is, I’ve decided it’s not that bad. Hearing that it’s unlikely to reshape it or restore it with much success, I’m assessing it as is and realizing it’s still a great jacket that does fit me well enough. I’m not sure if the last four days of wear has caused it to settle into my shape, or just reshaped my comfort level in the jacket’s new shape, but either way I’m feeling much better about it.

It doesn’t look bad on me, so as long as I’m comfortable enough in it, I will continue to keep it around for now. While it might not get as much wear as it did before the stretch/shrink, it is a nice option for layering that many of my other jackets don’t accommodate well.

Thanks again for all your replies. It helped a lot.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
That's still a really beautiful jacket! If anything you have given it character, and helped move it into a "well pre-loved territory.

I am glad to know you are re-welcoming it into your wardrobe. It certainly looks good on you and no-one external of yourself would ever place a "does not fit perfectly" label on it. This is providing me inspiration for this fall and my Cordovan Aero Ridley, still not broken in, and very much in need of it.

javajakamama

Familiar Face
looks bad???? i think it looks great. in that pic.

better a lil short than a lil long imo..

i think you might be able to get some added stretch length out of it. a 1/2 inch isn't much.

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars
That's still a really beautiful jacket! If anything you have given it character, and helped move it into a "well pre-loved territory.

I am glad to know you are re-welcoming it into your wardrobe. It certainly looks good on you and no-one external of yourself would ever place a "does not fit perfectly" label on it. This is providing me inspiration for this fall and my Cordovan Aero Ridley, still not broken in, and very much in need of it.
Thank you. I do think it still looks good on me, so it's nice to hear others also approve of the fit. It was just a feeling/comfort issue. But I'm really coming around to accepting its changes and appreciating it as it is.

I hope you break in your Ridley! That's a killer jacket in cordovan, and deserves a good breaking in. Enjoy the process.

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars
looks bad???? i think it looks great. in that pic.

better a lil short than a lil long imo..

i think you might be able to get some added stretch length out of it. a 1/2 inch isn't much.
Thank you. Strangely enough, the loosening wasn't really visible, just something I could feel while wearing it. I agree it still looks good on me, and the more I wear it, the more it's coming around to comfortable again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1