Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 641XX Review

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I tend to prefer the look of cafe racer patterns because of the simplicity. This one reminded me of the great vintage patterns like the Buco J100 and the Brooks. No side entry pockets.

IMG_1581.jpg

I got if from Japan for around $600.00.

I'm 6 ft 2 and 185 pounds. The jacket is 25.5 inches at back and 25.5 inches sleeve. The shoulders are 19 inches. It has lovely red lining and an inside pocket.

The steer-hide leather is gratifying to the touch, it feels firm and has a nice luster. Jacket weighs 4 pounds. The hide has a flat finish that I really like but won't appeal to some. It is starting to crease up nicely after 5 days.

The workmanship is as good as any of the better jackets (Aero, Johnson Leathers, Alexanders) I have owned. Stitching is perfect, pattern is confidently cut and the whole thing is put together with great aplomb. I feel like I've bought new old stock from the 1960's.

It fits me fine. I'm happy with the shorter length on me (i normally get a 26.5 inch back) and it doesn't feel heavy. Since I don't ride it's really just a knocking around town jacket and because of the price I don't have to worry too much about its welfare. I ordered it from Japan and it came 3 days later.

Here are some appalling photos to give you a fit idea. If you had a long torso or long arms it would probably be too short.

IMG_1590.JPG

IMG_1591.JPG

Last edited:

the loco

One of the Regulars
Schott leather jackets are constructed with great quality, but what sets apart the other manufacturers is the leather quality.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Schott leather jackets are constructed with great quality, but what sets apart the other manufacturers is the leather quality.

I'm not sure i agree with that! Having owned or handled Schott, Lewis, Eastman and Alexander and Aero, they are definitely the roughest of the bunch!
The stitching and finishing is very rough, and the leather is ok but nothing special...
I think they were a decent deal for what hey used to sell a couple years ago, but since their last price increase they aren't really worth it anymore i think...

Saying that, your jacket looks great! Was it a japan only model? It seems very hard to come by...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I'm also 6'2" and 185 pounds. Your jacket at 25.5 inches at the back would be OK with my somewhat short torso in relation to my height. However 25.5" sleeves would be close to 2" too short for my long arms. A number of parameters to consider when looking for a proper fit for anything, maybe with the exception of socks. That being said, the jacket appears to fit you extremely well.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice jacket and the fit looks perfect. Is the 641xx only available in Japan? The American website only shows the 641 and 641hh.

Love it, love it, love it!! Top picture is breathtaking and the fit seems to be as perfect as it gets. No excess gut space on this one, eh. Sleeve lenght's top for motorcycling, SebLucas, shame you don't ride.

Trobicalbob, yep, 641XX is Japan exclusive. Which doesn't make much sense at all because this jacket is actually a 100% accurate remake of a very early Schott CR design that in turn inspired other makers like Brooks, Fidelity, etc. It is so much better looking jacket than current Schott CR line (141/641, CAF1) or any other CR on the market for that matter, if I am to be asked.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks everyone for your comments.

HD I don't know my shirt sleeve size - I'm the kind of guy who buys shirts at size large and knows no more.

This jacket is exceptionally well made and finished - I wonder if this is to meet the persnickety standards of the Japanese market.

This is a size 44 - the largest size I could find. If you were a larger gent you would need to buy a Schott CAF1 to find a good fit.

I'm very surprised that Schott don't offer this pattern more widely.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
is it imported as finished products by Japan, or somewhat assembled in Japan with US material? how come they are not available anywhere else.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Do you usually wear a size 44? or did you size up?
Just wondering if it sizes small, being for the japanese market...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Do you usually wear a size 44? or did you size up?
Just wondering if it sizes small, being for the japanese market...

I usually wear a 42 or a 44. This is simply a vintage pattern size wise. To illustrate - my 1970 Brooks cafe racer size 46 has the same measurements as this 44. As a thin person of standard dimensions these Schotts are a perfect fit. If I were a groovy, fashionable 25 year old I'd probably fit into a 42 for that form-fitting Power Ranger look (as Edward describes it).

This Schott (and the Brooks) are my favourite cafe racer patterns.

641xx_brown.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tex rider