Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 538 fit

jlc_art77

New in Town
Hey guys I recently bought a new schott 538 mechanic jacket in large and went by the sites sizing but I’m not entirely sure if I should have gone down a size. Needing help with the fit if indeed this jacket is a bit larger or unflattering I would be willing to trade for a medium schott 538. I am 5’ 9” 187 lbs and was told these jackets are true to size so large would’ve been a 42-44. The sleeves are a bit long but my concern is with the bodice being possibly too baggy. All input is greatly appreciated
IMG_5227.jpeg
IMG_5228.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I would not size down, keep the size Large, but maybe consider shortening the sleeve by about an inch or so.

These square slim long silhouette truckers comes with really long sleeves, for size Large, it's like 26.75" long. I am shortening my Johnson one down to 25.5" sleeve length.
IMG_2657.JPG

jlc_art77

New in Town
I would not size down, keep the size Large, but maybe consider shortening the sleeve by about an inch or so.

These square slim long silhouette truckers comes with really long sleeves, for size Large, it's like 26.75" long. I am shortening my Johnson one down to 25.5" sleeve length.
View attachment 637822
Ok cool I’m not crazy, I thought the sleeves were ridiculously long. I dnt ride motorcycles so it’s more of a fashion piece for me.. I think the sleeves being 25.5” would be a good length. A couple years back I had a Schott CAF1 in horsehide and I was swimming in the large so I got ride of it. This jacket however I really like and would like to keep but in something that fits nice and not make me look like a dork I appreciate your input thank you

It looks good. You got the right size. The sleeves are too long, though and they bunch up unflatteringly. I'm not sure how well they would settle in and basic jackets of this sort rely mostly on a silhouette so I'd maybe look into something else as altering the sleeves is pricey, risky and rarely worth the fuss but overall, it's not bad at all.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Ok cool I’m not crazy, I thought the sleeves were ridiculously long. I dnt ride motorcycles so it’s more of a fashion piece for me.. I think the sleeves being 25.5” would be a good length. A couple years back I had a Schott CAF1 in horsehide and I was swimming in the large so I got ride of it. This jacket however I really like and would like to keep but in something that fits nice and not make me look like a dork I appreciate your input thank you
That's how most are doing this type of fit now a days, Levis also has long sleeves that covers half the hand. The slimmer torso fit looks great but I always end up using the buttons to shorten my sleeve up. After one year I decided to permanently shorten my sleeves down an inch or so. Live with yours for a while and see how you like it on a daily basis. With the buttons closed to the second snap it works, but I just have to keep doing it and undoing every time.

jlc_art77

New in Town
It looks good. You got the right size. The sleeves are too long, though and they bunch up unflatteringly. I'm not sure how well they would settle in and basic jackets of this sort rely mostly on a silhouette so I'd maybe look into something else as altering the sleeves is pricey, risky and rarely worth the fuss but overall, it's not bad at all.
Thank you sir., i appreciate your input since I’ve watched FL for a number of years an you seem to really know your stuff much appreciated

Last edited:

jlc_art77

New in Town
That's how most are doing this type of fit now a days, Levis also has long sleeves that covers half the hand. The slimmer torso fit looks great but I always end up using the buttons to shorten my sleeve up. After one year I decided to permanently shorten my sleeves down an inch or so. Live with yours for a while and see how you like it on a daily basis. With the buttons closed to the second snap it works, but I just have to keep doing it and undoing every time.
Good point (living with it for a while) the sleeves come down to my knuckles ‍ I really like this jacket and would love to see it get a nice patina and sleeves wrinkle up nicely.

Last edited:
Thank sir., i appreciate your input since I’ve watched FL for a number of years an you seem to really know your stuff much appreciated

Thank you. I'm happy to help.
If it is at all feasible for you, return this jacket and get the Aero Highwayman, preferably in any of the Italian leathers. It would fit you fantastically.
2-3" off the sleeves and 1-1.5" body length.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1