Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scenting the house, questions

memphislawyer

Practically Family
1) reed diffusers vs. candles. pros and cons? Once candles seem to get down to half used, the wicks go wierd and more is on the sides of the jar than anything. I am thinking Trapp or Root.

2) anything I should know about reed diffusers? I can get a deal on a trapp scent i like for half price but I have to buy the diffuser somewhere else. do i need to worry about how much % of oils in them or what?

3) Light rings, I have used, but they dont project as well

0ther comments?

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Candles are my main source of scent, as they're the easiest to turn on and off. I enjoyed some of the reed diffusers I've received as gifts (a few had obnoxious scents), but it's messy to remove the sticks and cap the bottle, if you don't want the scent all the time.
For candles, all you need is one of those little warming plates, available for 5 bucks or less in many places. Once the wick is not serviceable, the warmer will melt the rest of the wax, releasing the scent. It's also a nice way to enjoy candles in situations where open flame is not allowed (some offices and shops, places where people use O2 tanks, etc.).

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I keep a reed diffuser in our guest bathroom. I find that they don't put out much scent and I worry about it getting knocked over and spilling oil everywhere. The nice things about reed diffusers are no smoke, and they are essentially maintenance free - no lighting, snuffing out, etc. - you just put the sticks in and leave it for a month or so.

I do burn candles in my kitchen and living area sometimes, but I try to avoid them in smaller areas such as a bathroom. A few years ago in our old apartment my husband got on this kick of burning a scented candle in the bathroom. When we moved out, I discovered that the tiles that should have been white were actually grey with soot! Took forever to clean it off. It tends to cake up, just like smoking inside the house.

My personal favorite is an electric tart warmer. It is easy to turn on and off, doesn't produce candle smoke, and puts out a nice amount of scent. I also have a plug-in Scentsy warmer (same concept - melts scented wax) and that is nice also. My favorite are the Yankee tarts for variety and scent quality.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well here's our story. We went to Walgreen's Drug Store. In their liquor department is a round fish bowl on the counter. In the fishbowl are ten different types of incense matches - all different scents. All priced at .99 cents.

So, when necessary, we just light an incense match and let it glow for the few moments of it's life, and viola!...scenting the house!

-dixon cannon

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I only use two things.

Japanese incense. Please note that Japanese incense is very very different then the other kinds, and not at all hippy patchouli smelling stuff. http://www.shoyeido.com/ is the company i generally buy from. very delicate and subtle.

Essential oils. I put lavender or rose in a spray bottle with water for misting large areas, or use oils on a burner floating in water.

I am allergic to anything fake, so most sprays or other things make me sick.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Ooooh, I forgot about incense!

Most of the cheaper incenses tend to smell like smoky patchouli even if they claim to be another scent. I really like patchouli, but not if the scent is intended to be cinnamon or peppermint! L'Occitane incense is divine (esp the vanilla, which sadly is no longer made) and IMHO worth the price, as it puts out a fantastic scent. Pottery Barn & Pier 1 both make decent incense that isn't terribly expensive, but smell very nice.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I use a potpourri set, with a tea light candle for the heat and Cinnamon oil in water in the pot for the scent.

For a real kick, I'll put a couple of drops of the cinnamon oil on my tongue...

Brad

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I have a box of incense from World Market (India) that makes the house smell like a head shop. :(
I go through candles pretty fast.

I really, really, really like a pleasantly scented house. This thread is great - now then:
What are reed diffusers??? :(

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
If you've never seen a reed-based air freshner at a home store or boutique, the premise is straight forward. A handful of reeds is placed into a bottle of carrier oil with a scent oil added to it. The capillary action of the reeds pulls the oils up through the reed and the oil is slowly diffused into the air.

http://tipnut.com/reed-diffusers/

has both pictures and how-tos...but you can also find them at many different price points...from target to exclusive boutiques...

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
" I use a tea light/Ceramic burner, A young lass at a local market mixes her own potions, one of which smell very similar to Guerlain's Shalimar", which I like most awfully, another alternative and "Quick" solution is to light a "Nag Champa" incense stick which think is rather similar to "Jean-Paul Gaultier

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Essential oils in a candle diffuser work well in my massage room; the rest of the house is too open and drafty for the scent to have any noticeable effect.

I do use a few quality incenses now and then, but most often burn them in the enclosed front porch. Just enough smoke seeps into the house to freshen it, but not cause that overkill you can get with incense. One of my favorites is the twisted rope incense made in Nepal.

Another technique I use when the house needs a serious smudging, is dried herbs on a lighted charcoal block. Though I have an assortment of herbs, and some incense powders, my most favorite thing to burn is dried lavender buds. They make a beautifully crisp, cleanish smoke, that is still recognizable as lavender.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe