Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scandal! Vintage clothing ads that wouldn't fly today

MisterGrey

Practically Family
pub_vintage_042.jpg

pub_vintage_058.jpg

pub_vintage_046.jpg

pub_vintage_054.jpg

pub_vintage_022.jpg

pub_vintage_005.jpg

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, some of those really tip the scales.

How about that first one: "Indoors, women are useful - even pleasant. On a mountain they are something of a drag." :eusa_doh:

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Oh my goodness those are awful other than the last one. But I have to say I really hated the hiking one and the tie one, those were awful.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Oh my goodness those are awful other than the last one. But I have to say I really hated the hiking one and the tie one, those were awful.

Grant I will second that as well as the little bit of cringing. YIKES with the exception of the second and the last one, notice all those adds focused on keeping women down (litterally).

repeatclicks

Practically Family
What do you mean, this sort of thing doesn't happen in other peoples homes??? Man, I really am stuck in the 50s...... ;) Only kidding!

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Agreed, but what is hypocritical of much of advertising and our society now is the trend to downgrade men in advertisements, particularly on television...

Great point! I've had beef with this issue recently as well. Let me insert a little conjecture here, but it seems like after The Simpsons really took hold of American popular culture, it was suddenly "good advertising" to portray men as these goofy, stupid, subservient train wrecks with no chance of figuring anything out. In most cases, the clever (albeit tight lipped) female cohort fixes everything with a simple solution that any imbecile could have gathered. I call it the "dumb guy syndrome", and it's really asinine.

I realize text book marketing tries to create a problem which their product solves, and moreover, they want people to "relate" to these fake problems (i.e. being an equally as dumb guy with no answers), but do they really need to rely on this infantile humor to sell their product? Whatever happened to "ALCOA - A name you can trust in Aluminum Materials"? Straight, to the point and no one is being insulted. Could you imagine a modern ALCOA commercial with some dumb farmer standing in his field staring at a grain bin and scratching his head? Oh! Here comes the honey from the kitchen with an idea - stop buying those useless steel grain bins that rust; just call ALCOA dummy! [huh]

NancyLouise

One of the Regulars
Haha, not appropriate at all and would be a different case were it not for looking back on these versus living with them, but, it's now, and I have to say I laughed really loud a few times.

Jan

One of the Regulars
I made a little blog posting about this, as I thought it was HILARIOUS.

Thanks to MisterGrey for brightening up the day a bit. Found out my lady had to leave her cat of 13 years at the Humane Society. (UNLESS SOMEONE HERE IN THE BAY AREA, CALIFORNIA CAN TAKE HER!)

Anyways. Read my little punch lines for these ads. Hopefully you all think I'm as funny as I think I am.
http://therebelrouser.wordpress.com/2010/12/06/hilarious-sears-ads/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun