Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Royal De Luxe Stetson

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Actually won this one today on OFAS.:eek: :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stetson-Vintage-Mens-Bowler-Derby-Hat-Royal-De-Luxe_W0QQitemZ260110568951QQihZ016QQcategoryZ14065QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
It appear to be in pretty darn good shape. They advertised it as a 'Stetson Vintage Mens Bowler Derby Hat'. It just was an open crown. I'm very surprised that there weren't more bids on this and that I actually won it. Surprised indeed. I thought I'd get sniped for sure. Anyway, this should be a nice light weight hat. I love the thin ribbon on this one. It reminds me of an Open Road or a Stratoliner.:rolleyes:

Cheers!

Dan

D00R

One of the Regulars
sweet hat but damn can never find one on the bay that fits me :(

going to the hat store finally thursday:eek:

Razzman

One Too Many
DJ, that's great looking hat. Looks like it's in great shape too. I was watching it, but 7 1/8 would be too small for me. Nice pick-up. :eusa_clap

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Great score, Dan. And the price was right! I have a Royal Stetson that is a dead ringer for an Open Road, but the "Open Road" designation is nowhere to be found on it. Looks like the same thing with your Royal DeLuxe. I've always wondered what the reason for this was, or whether there was some marketing explanation. In any event, great lid!

Cheers,
JtL

mingoslim

Practically Family
Not to give away any trade secrets, but . . .

DanielJones said:
Actually won this one today on OFAS.:eek: :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stetson-Vintage-Mens-Bowler-Derby-Hat-Royal-De-Luxe_W0QQitemZ260110568951QQihZ016QQcategoryZ14065QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
They advertised it as a 'Stetson Vintage Mens Bowler Derby Hat'. It just was an open crown.

When I am eBaying, I often search "derby" and "bowler" . . . because so many folks list great fedoras (Soveriegns, Borsos, Strats) as bowlers if they still have an open crown . . . and usually, if they still have an open crown they are in great condition.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks gang!:) I'm hedging my bets that this 7 1/8 will fit. It's weird, the hats that I've gotten from OFAS range from 7 1/8 to 7 3/8 and they all fit about the same. Some of the smaller ones take a bit of a stretching, but once done they're fitting well. That & a short haircut seems to help.;) Is it the manufacturers sizing standards that vary from company to company or were they just measured differently back in the day so a 7 1/8 actually fit like a 7 1/4. I just figured everyone used the formula of the Circumference X PI to get the hat size.
Thanks again for your kind comments folks. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.:)

Cheers!

Dan

Feraud

Bartender
The differences in fit from labeled hat sizes can result from stretching or shrinking. Keep in mind we are dealing with hats that can range from 0-60 years old!
I have hats that are labeled my size but are too loose and others tight.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Daniel, I have a couple Royal Deluxe stetsons, the felt seems to be a finer and denser felt than on my 3X stetson. That one should be a nice one.

Stetson has had Open Roads in production longer than any other hat they sell. Over the years they carried the same style of hat but just used a different name. For example there are Stetson Soverigns that look just like a traditional Open Road. But if you are a buyer and stetson comes out with a hat that is just like the one you already have there is no motivation to buy it. But if it has a different name, then one assumes there is something special or unique about it and then it becomes desirable and sales go up. I have always labeled these as an "Open Road Style". I've seen just about all of the major hat companies, knox, dobbs, cavanagh, borsalino, pennys, adam etc. make them.

fedoralover

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well folks it came in yesterday! Boy howdy! This hat is in excellent shape. I don't think it was worn more than a half a dozen time in its life time, no sweat stains or warping of the sweatband. It has a fairly wide brim & tall crown. And when I said that this would make a nice light weight hat, I under stated that. This thing is light & soft. It feels as light as my Panama Optimo, just not as thin. On top of it, it is very clean inside & out. The brim & crown haven't been trained into any real shape other than what it got while sitting in it's box. I think that it may take a little time & training to get the hat to hod the shape I put into it.
The price/ size tag is still intact, it was a $12.50 hat in it's day. The tag is the tan paper with black ink instead of the usual gold tag one sees. Under the Sweatband is the purple stamping of the Stetson beaver logo and the tags inside have the reorder number of 694440.
Under the supple & thin sweatband is a thin sweat barrier material. I have taken a few photos of the hat and will post them onece I get them up-loaded to Photobucket.
From the images that were on the e-bay auction & these descriptions could anybody surmise what the era of this hat may be? My guess would be around 1944-47, but that's just a guess mind you.
Anyway, I think I got a very nice out of the box hat that doesn't require any repair or cleaning of any kind. I couldn't be happier with this one.

Cheers!

Dan

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sounds like a winner DJ. Don't you just love when a hat excedes expectation.

Jerekson

One Too Many
I love seeing all these wonderful hats going for my size, during the one time that I don't have any money to spend.

Congratulations. That looks like a very sharp hat; are you sure it isn't an Open Road?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thank you folks. I now have a few photos to share with you. Sorry about the quality of the photos, but we had a bit of a laundry accident with my good camera and now I have to use the old HP that seems to lie focusing on the background instead of the foreground. Oh well, still better than a sharp stick in the eye any day.

IM000021.jpg

IM000029.jpg

IM000028.jpg

And yes I'm quite positive this isn't an Open Road or a Stratoliner. Not a single logo to be had eluding to either one. It was a pleasure to wear today, even in the warmer weather we've been experiencing in our neck of the woods. But even without the logos it is fast becoming one of my favorites next to my Whippet.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally