Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Robin Hood, Men in Tights...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Yea! It has finally been released on DVD! I just ordered ot from Amazon and it should be here soon.:)

B000G6BLW4.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64476466_.jpg

It's one of my all time Mel Brooks favorites. My favorite character is Blinkin the blind servant. There are some great one liners & quotes in this one. "Unlike other Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent."

Cheers!

Dan

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Wasn't there also a Mel Brooks produced tv show called When Things Were Rotten or something? And didn't it star some gameshow host or something as Robin Hood? Or am I confusing an episode of Don Adams' Screen Test with Men in Tights?

(Rememebrs more: "There comes a time in every man's life when he must face his duty, shake it by the hand and say, 'Howdy duty.'"

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
"We're men...we're men in tight-TIGHT-tights..."
I grew up watching this movie- classic. They were just using this movie on Mythbusters the other day. They were trying to split an arrow right down the middle like at the end of the movie. Turns out tht it's impossible with a real arrow so they made one of out bamboo...so that's probably how they did it in the movie. Tell me if I have shattered your childhoods, anybody...

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Let's get out of this ladies clothing and get into our tights!

Can't wait to get me hands on this one.
Now, correct me if I'm wrong but, wasn't the split arrow stunt done for real in The Adventures Of Robin Hood? I haven't seen the movie, and I can't remember where I picked that up that tip.

Steve

Practically Family
CharlieH. said:
Let's get out of this ladies clothing and get into our tights!

Can't wait to get me hands on this one.
Now, correct me if I'm wrong but, wasn't the split arrow stunt done for real in The Adventures Of Robin Hood? I haven't seen the movie, and I can't remember where I picked that up that tip.
It was, and no one has figured out how they did it ever since.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I always assumed it was a physical trick, like: The outer arrow was a breakway arrow glued back together, the inner arrow was hollow and on an invisible-to-the-camera fishline that stretched from the bullseye through the glued-back-together arrow - the inner arrow was "fired" with a powerful air-ram or something and thus appeared to split the outer (breakaway) arrow.

Does anybody have the latest Adventures of Robin Hood DVD? Explaining this effect sounds like something that should be there in one of the commentaries or features...

D

drafttek

Splitting the arrow

The splitting of the arrow in The Adventures of Robin Hood was done by Howard Hill who played the captain of the archers whom Robin defeated in the movie. He did it in one take. Howard Hill was THE greatest archer ever to string a bow. His ability at trick shots and accuracy are legendary. I have seen some videos of him using an arrow like a trick shot pool player uses a cue ball. In one he banks the arrow off two sheets of plywood and hits a bulleye on the target. If anyone could ever split a wooden arrow like that it would be him.

I'm going to have to take another look at Men In Tights. I saw it when it first came out and thought it was Mel Brooks' worst movie.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
I'm so glad I found this thread, hah! :) Have to pipe in and say this is one of my favorite comedies, it has so many priceless moments, both physically and verbally hilarious. The Men In Tights dance never fails to leaves me in stitches, and I also get a kick out of the Latrine scenes. Oh!, also when the Sherrif of Rottingham is attempting to marry Marian, and the bishop and gathered crowd laugh about "MERVIN?! Your name is Mervin?!" lol What a great movie! :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally