Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RMC & Harley Davidson 1940s Cycle Champ D-pocket - need fit pics

greenc

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone,

Hope you're well and looking at a great weekend.

I'm hoping someone can help me with a few fit pics of the limited edition RMC HD 1940s Cycle Champ D-pocket collaboration from a while back. I think there must have been a version before the most recent Jason Momoa piece, however, I could be mistaken. I've tried to research this jacket and can't seem to find much information about it.

I know that there's a thread on the Momoa version here, https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...jason-momoa-horse-hide-d-pocket-1940s.112572/, however, the one I'm thinking of has a red, white, and black lining, and is missing the studs on the belt loops.

I've attached photos of both the Momoa jacket and the one that I'm referring to.

What I've yet to see are photos of people wearing either jacket (with the exception of Momoa), and that's what I'm the most interested in. It looks to be a proper, short jacket emulating the 1940s style but I don't have any understanding on how big the arms are, or the taper from armpit to waist. If anyone out there has a fit pic, and/or measurements on a size 36 or 38 I'd appreciate the information.

Thanks very much everyone, hope to hear from you all soon. Take care and enjoy the weekend.

Chris

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-08-17 at 12.54.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-08-17 at 12.54.24 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2024-08-17 at 12.55.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-08-17 at 12.55.06 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 57

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Hi everyone,

Hope you're well and looking at a great weekend.

I'm hoping someone can help me with a few fit pics of the limited edition RMC HD 1940s Cycle Champ D-pocket collaboration from a while back. I think there must have been a version before the most recent Jason Momoa piece, however, I could be mistaken. I've tried to research this jacket and can't seem to find much information about it.

I know that there's a thread on the Momoa version here, https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...jason-momoa-horse-hide-d-pocket-1940s.112572/, however, the one I'm thinking of has a red, white, and black lining, and is missing the studs on the belt loops.

I've attached photos of both the Momoa jacket and the one that I'm referring to.

What I've yet to see are photos of people wearing either jacket (with the exception of Momoa), and that's what I'm the most interested in. It looks to be a proper, short jacket emulating the 1940s style but I don't have any understanding on how big the arms are, or the taper from armpit to waist. If anyone out there has a fit pic, and/or measurements on a size 36 or 38 I'd appreciate the information.

Thanks very much everyone, hope to hear from you all soon. Take care and enjoy the weekend.

Chris
There is a fine member who has posted here his Momoa collaboration cycle champ. I believe he is a size 38? The HD museum and the RMC do look very similar. I am a big fan of all the RMC HD repros. I believe they are top of the line. Having said that, I have never seen any original vintage HD advertising demonstrating the dual front square pocket jacket under the name cycle champ. I did in the past seen a 1947 HD advertisement for the dual square pocket jacket under the name cycle king. In other 1947 advertisement, the HD dual pocket goes as the king of leather jackets. Later in the early 2000s, HD advertised the dual pocket jacket as a cycle king.

More than 20 years ago, I purchased two cycle king from the HD museum shop when I visited it with my daughter. She loved hers, mine was nice, but will never take the place of my Cal leathers jackets. Two or three years ago, I purchased two cycle king from the HD website. I believe it has been the best reproduction of the original. Is not a top of the line jacket due to the leather used in their latest production. The first production, in my view, is crafted with a superior leather than the second production. Furthermore, I have read very good first production reviews by some very knowledgeable members here. I own two cycle king originals from their last 1950s production (Burgundy nylon lining) and a 1940s later production with no lining. Both jackets are different in looks and construction.

My oldest HD was built with a thinner horsehide than my mid 50s HD Jackets. The steer hide on the cycle champ is my second best out of my HD originals. The steer hide is super thick and very supple.

My three original cycle champs were made by different makers, I believe. Personally have seen 6 different "D" cycle champs and 1 none "D" pocket cycle champ. The none D pocket cycle champ was also produced in the very late 50s. My favorite cycle champ is the "Elvis" model. I have seen three different 3 "Elvis" models. I was lucky to get one from a friend of ours several years ago. The jacket I own is the very same model that Elvis wore in the famous May 1956 enthusiast magazine. The other Elvis looks so very different on the flesh. The more notable is the D pocket. But the construction methods are different and clearly were made by different companies.

Last edited:

jeo

One Too Many
@Bfd70 had one and got rid of it after the zipper broke.

jeo

One Too Many
Oh yeah that’s right I forgot about that.

greenc

One of the Regulars
There is a fine member who has posted here his Momoa collaboration cycle champ. I believe he is a size 38? The HD museum and the RMC do look very similar. I am a big fan of all the RMC HD repros. I believe they are top of the line. Having said that, I have never seen any original vintage HD advertising demonstrating the dual front square pocket jacket under the name cycle champ. I did in the past seen a 1947 HD advertisement for the dual square pocket jacket under the name cycle king. In other 1947 advertisement, the HD dual pocket goes as the king of leather jackets. Later in the early 2000's HD advertised the dual pocket jacket as a cycle king.

I purchased two cycle king from the HD museum shop when I visited it with my daughter. She loved hers, mine was nice, but will never take the place of my Cal leathers jackets. Two or three years ago, I purchased two cycle king from the HD website. I believe it has been the best reproduction of the original. Is not a top of the line jacket due to the leather used in their latest production. The first production, in my view, is crafted with a superior leather than the second production. Furthermore, I have read very good first production reviews by some very knowledgeable members here. I own two cycle king originals from their last 1950s production (Burgundy nylon lining) and a 1940s later production with no lining. Both jackets are different in looks and construction.

My oldest HD was built with a thinner horsehide than my mid 50's HD Jackets. The steer hide on the cycle champ is my second best out of my HD originals. The steer hide is super thick and very supple.

My three original cycle champs were made by different makers, I believe. Personally have seen 6 different "D" cycle champs and 1 none "D" pocket cycle champ. The none D pocket cycle champ was also produced in the very late 50s. My favorite cycle champ is the "Elvis" model. I have seen three different 3 "Elvis" models. I was lucky to get one from a friend of ours several years ago. The jacket I own is the very same model that Elvis wore in the famous May 1956 enthusiast magazine. The other Elvis look so very different on the flesh. The more notable is the D pocket. But the construction methods are different and clearly were made by different companies.
Photo2u, thank you so much for such a thoughtful and well constructed response, I really appreciate you taking the time to do that, truly.

I'm a fan of shorter jackets, and all the better if they fit a little close to the body. I don't know if this reproduction is fitted or a bit more boxy but I really like the look of it - the pocket and epaulet studs are cool, in my opinion. I own a RMC J100 that I picked up through a Japanese proxy service and I love it - the fit is really nice on my in the shoulders, the sleeve length worked in my favour, and the body is close when zipped. It feels like a suit of armour, which is what I was hoping for.

I wasn't aware that you could purchase jackets through the HD museum, I'll have to look into that. HD is such an American institution that I'd love to own a little piece of that history. The challenge is that at some point HD began to make jackets of inferior quality, which I think has given me pause. If I could find an American-made version from the 1960s or '70s at a reasonable price I'd likely have a go at it.

I own a vintage Taubers Double Rider that I believe is from that same time period and it's also a really nice fit, however different than anything modern. Thank you again for the thoughts, I'm now on the hunt.

Enjoy the weekend and please send a photo or two of your HD pieces if you can - would love to see them.

CG

greenc

One of the Regulars
Yep 2 for 2 main zipper failures on rmc

@Motocann has one as well.
Bfd70, I'm sorry to hear that the zippers failed you - did RMC provide a possible explanation? I guess when manufacturers use the smallish, period correct zippers they're just perhaps not as robust as the large gauge.

That said, a lot of people in the 1950s and '60s wore their jackets hard and those zippers at the time would have to have been solid enough to accommodate that.

Where did they fail? Was it the slider or the teeth?

CG

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Photo2u, thank you so much for such a thoughtful and well constructed response, I really appreciate you taking the time to do that, truly.

I'm a fan of shorter jackets, and all the better if they fit a little close to the body. I don't know if this reproduction is fitted or a bit more boxy but I really like the look of it - the pocket and epaulet studs are cool, in my opinion. I own a RMC J100 that I picked up through a Japanese proxy service and I love it - the fit is really nice on my in the shoulders, the sleeve length worked in my favour, and the body is close when zipped. It feels like a suit of armour, which is what I was hoping for.

I wasn't aware that you could purchase jackets through the HD museum, I'll have to look into that. HD is such an American institution that I'd love to own a little piece of that history. The challenge is that at some point HD began to make jackets of inferior quality, which I think has given me pause. If I could find an American-made version from the 1960s or '70s at a reasonable price I'd likely have a go at it.

I own a vintage Taubers Double Rider that I believe is from that same time period and it's also a really nice fit, however different than anything modern. Thank you again for the thoughts, I'm now on the hunt.

Enjoy the weekend and please send a photo or two of your HD pieces if you can - would love to see them.

CG

Friend, There has much debate about HD original makers and periods of production. Two jackets I own can be seen at the forum. I got directly from jmax and another from a member who I think also got it from him as well. I also have other images of my mid 50s cycle king and cycle champ next to each other. The fit on those jackets are not as trim as the RMC. My "Elvis" jacket fits the trimmest, with a thick hide that does allow nice range of motion for riding. I do have some images that if I can find, I will post. The jacket fit on me was described by a premier jacket maker as "military". He is a well respected member of this forum, and he understands how jackets are put together.

The quality of the HD jackets after the mid 60s did go a little south. In the early 80s their main production was coming from Korea. Personally, I like the Korean production. For the price, the jackets are solid. Their ykk zips are top-notch, and the hide is thick. You can sometimes pick them up for about $125 out the door. However, they are a little boxy. I believe that is not what you prefer.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Bfd70, I'm sorry to hear that the zippers failed you - did RMC provide a possible explanation? I guess when manufacturers use the smallish, period correct zippers they're just perhaps not as robust as the large gauge.

That said, a lot of people in the 1950s and '60s wore their jackets hard and those zippers at the time would have to have been solid enough to accommodate that.

CG

Just my personal views about modern vs NOS and used vintage zippers. The old zippers are strong enough for most jacket. They were made with different materials. Sadly, some new production zippers are not suited for use with some leather jackets. I own several LW midweight horsehide jackets with #5 talons. They have been functioning with no problems for more than 20 years. One of my favorite A-2 has one. It takes the beating well when flying or just going to the hardware store. It is not the zipper size is the quality of the zipper that is the main determining factor in functionality. Personally, I own one prototype Cal leather CR with a superb conmar #10 zipper. Cal later went with #5 zippers in their later CR production. Both work great. However, I do love the look of the #10 zippers in most vintage originals. Jacket makers were aware of the advantages of bigger zippers. However, those zippers were mainly used for military garments, and perhaps overpriced for the garment industries? Towards the end of the Korean War, I know of one company who took advantage of military surplus zippers and used them because they were ahead of the game in safety and quality. In the late 50s, HD started using the Aluminum #10 talons in their jackets. Based on experience, I would take a good condition 40-60 zipper over a #5 new zipper. The new #10 zippers are strong and will last. YKK makes a beast of a zipper for a great price. Riri hand down makes the best modern zippers in #5 and #10-12.

Last edited:

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up

CG
Teeth. I don’t have any idea how I’d be in touch with rmc. One failed after 6 months. Great jacket otherwise. I just put on weight and sold it. Other failed after about 6 weeks. Purchased from HD. They quickly issued a refund. My conversation with customer service led me to believe I wasn’t the first person with this issue. Too bad. I really like their leathers but $3k and lousy zippers, I’ll never buy another.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Teeth. I don’t have any idea how I’d be in touch with rmc. One failed after 6 months. Great jacket otherwise. I just put on weight and sold it. Other failed after about 6 weeks. Purchased from HD. They quickly issued a refund. My conversation with customer service led me to believe I wasn’t the first person with this issue. Too bad. I really like their leathers but $3k and lousy zippers, I’ll never buy another.

It is sad that RMC got it wrong with the zippers. The 40s to early mid 50s HD actually used nickle plated Conmars. The Pulls and sliders of those originals were very small if you would compare to later production military conmars which are a beast of a zipper. Those Mil specs conmars are much stronger than same size Talons. My Buco original mid 50's Buco uses those conmars as well. They are still strong as nails after 70 years of service.

greenc

One of the Regulars
Friend, There has much debate about HD original makers and periods of production. Two jackets I own can be seen at the forum. I got directly from jmax and another from a member who I think also got it from him as well. I also have other images of my mid 50s cycle king and cycle champ next to each other. The fit on those jackets are not as trim as the RMC. My "Elvis" jacket fits the trimmest, with a thick hide that does allow nice range of motion for riding. I do have some images that if I can find, I will post. The jacket fit on me was described by a premier jacket maker as "military". He is a well respected member of this forum, and he understands how jackets are put together.

The quality of the HD jackets after the mid 60s did go a little south. In the early 80s their main production was coming from Korea. Personally, I like the Korean production. For the price, the jackets are solid. Their ykk zips are top-notch, and the hide is thick. You can sometimes pick them up for about $125 out the door. However, they are a little boxy. I believe that is not what you prefer.
Photo2u, apologies for the delayed response, was running around with the kids all day yesterday and got to cleaning the car this morning, which turned into a five-hour ordeal - scrubbed inside and outside. I'm tired but the car's looking good - now if I can just convince my kids to keep it clean we'll be in good shape.

I'm going to have to do a google search for the "Elvis" jacket you mention, I'm interested to know what you're referring to. You're correct in your thought that I like a bit more of a fitted jacket, but maybe for the right piece I should expand my thinking a bit. My Y2 HR-55 is quite trim, however, if I had sized up to a 38 it would have been too large in the shoulders, and the sleeves would likely have been a bit long - I prefer a bit too short than a bit too long.

My RMC J100 is also quite trim, but the construction of those jackets has more squared shoulders so even though it's a size 36, the shoulders look a bit more piqued. The shoulder seam lands in almost the same spot as the Y2 but the look is very different.

Again, I like the idea of a HD jacket, and I'm especially drawn to jackets that have been personalized by patches. I'll keep my eye out for one, thanks for the thoughts on them, I appreciate that. Enjoy the week, speak soon.

CG

greenc

One of the Regulars
Bfd70, it really is a shame that the zippers failed, and that's especially true at that price point - $3k is a significant amount to spend on a single jacket. The J-24 on RMC's website is $5k, and they're sold out. The pieces I own were all purchased from either other forum members or from a Japanese proxy at very modest prices, which I feel quite fortunate about. I don't know that I'd get any more enjoyment out of a $5k RMC J-24 than I do from a $300 vintage Taubers. That said, I can positively appreciate the craftsmanship of the J-24 - the hides are beautiful and from what I've seen the overall construction is solid. As an element of design I think it's gorgeous and I do love it.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
The J-24 on RMC's website is $5k
I'm not sure which website you're looking at but on the Japanese website they're listed for ¥330k which is about $2.2k. Anything above that is middleman fees import fees stockist markup etc.

IMG_3694.jpeg

greenc

One of the Regulars

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-08-19 at 2.06.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-08-19 at 2.06.41 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 47

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1