Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rita...not Hayworth

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I guess it's my turn. I will not be evacuating, I live about 90 miles north of Galveston. The major Hwys are bumper to bumper for miles and miles. My family may go to San Antonio...maybe. It looks like it may even be a Cat 5. My cell phone dosen't work and all the land lines are busy. We won't have the flood that Houston will but I'm sure we will have plenty of rain and wind.

Christians put me in your prayers please.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
This ain't my first rodeo. Linda and the kids are leaving early Fri. morn to Seguin, outside San Antonio. Predictions are that my area will get 75 to 100 mph winds, with possible tornadic activity. Power out for at least the weekend maybe more. Coastal areas around Houston will have over 145 mph winds with 20 to 40 ft storm swell.

I gotta stay with the business and the dogs, I have some boarded with me for over the weekend.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Bob,

Melissa and I will have you in our thoughts and prayers. Keep your head down, safe travels to your family and keep us posted through the storm as conditions permit.

- John

android

One of the Regulars
I hope you have trolley cords on all your hats, Bob!

Be careful and don't go out and play in the storm. I know the weather reporters make it look fun on TV, but they are trained professionals. (and not too bright either, so it would seem....)

varga49

One of the Regulars
We've got about , give or take a few 15 people coming from Houston and other places on the Gulf Coast...Got room for 1 or 2 more maybe...hmmm may have to get a good bottle of scotch! hang in there!!!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Bob -- My prayers are with you. I would be staying with the dogs, too. Bless you for doing that.

I was relieved to find today that my dear friend, Victoria, who is severely handicapped with MS, has evacuated with her sister and family from Houston to San Antonio. She wasn't so much worried about the water (she is not in a low-lying area), but if the power were lost, it would affect her severely. People with MS do not do so well in high heat -- and, more than likely, Houston would lose power.

Victoria was terrified and disgusted when she discovered out how many residents in nursing homes were left behind and perished during Hurricane Katrina. When you are handicapped and totally dependent on others, it certainly gives you a different perspective on the world.

karol

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Going to spend most of the day today securing things and packing up vauables and important paperwork. My daughters's youth Pastor is going to New Braunfels to be with family, and my family is going to follow, New Braunfels is just north of Seguin where my in laws live.

There is another member her. Absininth, that lives closer to the epicenter than me, he probably got out ealier.

Thanks, Brothers and Sisters...

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Everything is battened down, plenty of water and food. Linda and the kids are staying. Traffic on all roads is bumper to bumper for miles. The major N to S Freeway through Houston is Hwy45 and there is a 100 mile back up from Houston north. If you didn't get out there's no way now. Folks are running out of gas and blocking traffic lanes. There is no gas at any area stations and no way for tankers to get in. The good thing is people are in good spirits and there has been no incidents of violence at all.

The good news for us is that the storm may be making a wobble eastward taking it more over Beaumont, That means that we wont be on the dirty side of the storm.

Michaelson

One Too Many
My youngest daughter and son-in-law live in Houston, and are hunkering down as well. Total gridlock there, and last night William had to drive 8 miles from a friends house to get back home. It took him from 2 a.m. until 7 a.m. to make the drive! So, they're not EVEN thinking of trying to make a drive, though they do have a backup plan should push come to shove. Guess they're as ready as they can be for what's coming in.

Last I heard, Rita has turned more North than thought, and is now heading toward Pt. Arthur, so the direct hit is not a factor.

Regards Michaelson

Trickeration

Practically Family
I also have a cousin, his wife, his 4 kids and his numerous grandkids in that area, as well as a few friends from my husband's Navy days.

Bob- We'll keep you and your family in prayer, as well as Absinith.

Michaelson- Also your daughter and her family.

Karol- I'm so glad your friend is safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rand S