Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ribbon replacements & other haberslasheries

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I went and did it...

Most of the regulars here may know my gray Canadian Brooks. You may also know that I really love wider brims. Most of my hats are at least 2 1/2" or 2 3/4" while two actually have a 2 7/8" brim. And I like a tall crown. Tall crows, wide brims. It's all about proportions. On that Brooks I alway thought that the crown was just a tad too low for the 2 3/4" brim. Now because there was nothing I could about the crown height I decided to look at it the other way round: the crown is not too low but the brim is simply too wide... Now there suddenly WAS something I could do... ;)

And so I did. I did the Gene - and trimmed that brim!!! :eek: :D

Thanks to the fact that it started life as a bound brim I had a perfect guide for my scissors and so I just cut tightly along the inner circumference of the binding. A little sanding on the now raw edge and that was it. I think the proportions look much better now (and I also have another raw edge lid, one of only three in my collection so far). The brim is now 2 1/4" wide.

Ok. Here it is before and after the surgery:

Brooks-Gray-Old-New.jpg

I know what some of you are thinking now: Those skinny guys! They bring a knife to a gun fight and actually get away with it while their opponents hat ends up sliced and diced! :p :D ;)

Now that I was in a haberslahing frenzy anyway I also had a go at my Pilgrim. The sweatband on this one was pretty stiff and rumpled, it always felt strange on my head. There was also a very thick sewn-in plastic protector between the sweat and the felt which made the whole hat a little too snug to feel comfortable, so in the end I decided to do away with it and put in a new one. Along the way I also swapped the old, faded ribbon for a new one (which I took off a defunct Dobbs 20). The bow one this one is a lot nicer than the original. Last not least I removed the plastic protector from the liner as it was just as stiff and rumbled as the sweatband. While I was at it I also gave it a thorough cleaning with Naptha. The result is a hat the feels as if it is brand new.

The old and the new ribbon:

Pilgrim-Bow.jpg

The old sweatband and the new one (I really have to work on a more even spacing with my stitches... :rolleyes:)

Pilgrim-Sweat.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Mario said:
:) :)

Yes, it does feel very good indeed. Now that the anxiety and the fear of ruining a nice hat is gone... Yes, it feels really good! :D

no kidding! I remember feeling nauseous while "operating" on my Mallory. lol :p

jtrenalone

New in Town
Very nice, I have been browsing on eBay for a nice (r) hat that I have (Dobbs grey early 70's), and have noted some that I like, but the ribbons are not my style. I may get one, and try a ribbon replacement like what you have done,
Joel

Mario

I'll Lock Up
On my favorite Mallory the sweatband had become so deteriorated that I really had to replace it.

This is the old one. I think it's pretty obvious why I needed to replace it.

mallory_old_sweat.jpg

With the new sweat sewn in and everything back in place again.

mallory_new_sweat.jpg

mallory_new_sweat_01.jpg

I'm still scared when I start to disassemble a hat but it's slowly getting better... ;)

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Yes, those are the sweats I bought from the Pleuser company. I really like them. They are a wee bit thicker than vintage sweats but I don't regard this a drawback - they feel good on the head and they keep the hat atop your noggin, just as they should. If I'm going to need new sweats in the future I'll stick with these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe