Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Requesting information about vintage Joba wool overcoat

Duckfoot

New in Town
TLDR: I would appreciate any information about my vintage Joba wool overcoat.

Hi, I’ve been lurking anonymously for a while, but finally decided to make an account to participate. I have an old wool overcoat about which I know nothing other than the brand, and would appreciate any information you experts can provide. I would love details about age, materials, what’s still original, etc. Please let me know if I can provide any additional pictures or information about the coat. Thank you in advance for your expertise and attention.

I’ve structured this post to put the coat details and questions in the following section, with my review and experiences later. As this is my first post, please forgive any formatting or picture issues. Please also let me know if the pictures do not show up.

Closeup of label
Label.jpg

Overcoat Overview:
This is a (presumably) German wool overcoat manufactured by Joba. There are no additional tags anywhere in the pockets or liner that I can find. I received the coat from a relative, who purchased it off the back of a truck in California in the late 1980’s. Their guess is that the coat was manufactured pre-1960, but I have no evidence to back that up. I don’t speak German, and I’ve been unsuccessful in finding useful information about vintage Joba coats on Google.

The coat is a very thick wool, with a satin feeling liner in the body and sleeves. The two external pocket liners have a velvety feeling. It feels different from the moleskin liner I have on a different jacket. The two horizontal internal pockets have a liner that feels like thin cotton. The coat was likely belted originally, as you can see cut off tabs on the back that were probably the belt sections. The large lapels have buttonholes, but these seem to be decorative, as there are no associated buttons.

The buttons feel like plastic, or some other synthetic material. They don’t seem to be metal, horn, nut, or other natural materials. I don’t know if the buttons are original, but they all match. Some of the buttons are button-backed on the inside, but some are not.

Sizing:
The coat is likely a size 38, and fits me very well. The arms fit a bit shorter than the measurement would suggest, likely due to stiff shoulders and material thickness. There is plenty of room for layering, and mobility does not feel very restricted. The wool thickness measurement is a lower estimate, and includes some compression from the measuring tool. The relaxed thickness is higher, but I don’t have a great way to measure that.

Chest measurement (pit to pit while buttoned): 22.5”
Shoulder width (seam to seam): 19”
Sleeve length (straight): 25.5”
Full back length: 48”
Back length from base of collar: 45.5”
Wool thickness in lapel (not touching folded seam): at least 0.21”
Wool thickness of back material, pinched double: at least 0.105”

Questions:
When was this jacket manufactured?
What are the liner materials for the body, outside pockets, and inside pockets?
What is the button material?
Is everything original?
Has anything been obviously replaced?
Do you know anything else about Joba coats in general?
How should I interpret the wool thickness measurements?

Personal Experiences:
This coat is amazing. It’s warm, comfortable, stylish, and handles all of the weather I’ve thrown at it. I’ve worn this coat in snow, rain, and sub-freezing winter conditions. The 48” length lands below my knees and keeps my legs nice and warm. I can easily fit a sweater, sportcoat, and scarf under the overcoat.

My arms are longer than average, which makes the sleeves feel a bit short, but this is a minor issue with an otherwise great fit. Wearing gloves also negates this problem.

The coat appears to be in stellar condition. About 10 years ago the stitching in one of the arm/body seams came loose and required repair. I think there was a lavender/white striped interlining underneath the black lining, but I can’t be 100% sure of my memory on that point. That restitching is the only repair work that has been required.

Thank you again for your attention.

Full coat, buttoned, front
Buttoned front.jpg

Full coat, unbuttoned, front
Unbuttoned front.jpg

Full coat, back
Hanging back.jpg

Inside liner
Full inside.jpg

Closeup of body and sleeve liner
Body and sleeve liner.jpg

Closeup of inside pocket liner