Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent experience with David Morgan....

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
.... was one of the BEST I have had with a retailer in years ! I first dealt with DM back in the early 70's and have had no dealings with them till about this time two years ago when I finally replaced my 30+ yo Bushman. Then this year I have purchased a Fawn Squatter ( EXCELENT hat , typical Akubra quality) and recently inquired about if they would be able to order a Fawn Stylemaster for me as they currently only carry a Grey color model. As many of you know, they are the wholesale distributors for Akubra hats in the U.S. and their reply was ..."However, we just shipped some other colors to John Helmer Haberdasher in Portland, Oregon last week. Mid Brown, & Moss Green were the colors we sent." So I gave Helmer a phone call and they had my size in stock and a Mid Brown is on it's way to Texas now. IMHO, this was the kind of service that I would classify as "above and beyond" and not found in today's 21st century retailing!! Instead of just saying they DON"T carry that color and leaving it at that, they assisted me in finding the hat I wanted! Made a customer for life for my Akubra needs :)

Given some of the problems we have seen from members with retailers lately this is very nice to hear for a change. I have gotten some things from Morgan in the past and also had a good experience.:)

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Over the few months I have talked to DM about their hats, they have been extremely helpful and pleasant. I finally ordered a Lightning Ridge, and it arrived without any trouble nearly three days before the date of delivery estimated by DM themselves. Not to mention the great flat rate for shipping, $8 :).

DavidMorgan is my favorite website on the net for Akubras, simply because they have the most comprehensive interface for each hat, depicting felt color, multiple profile shots (including the great 3D rotating pics), and little tidbits about the history behind the hat or its namesake.

The only qualm I have with DM is the $20.00 charge for shaping services, something other places (like EverythingAustralian) would do for free. That said, it doesn't bother me that much, as I like shaping my own hats.

That said, they remain at the top of my list for purchasing Akubras, followed very closely by EA.

Glad you had a great experience as well!

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Please give us your thoughts on John Helmer too after your hat arrives. I've been tempted to buy a hat from their website but the shipping seems kind of steep; their hat prices look reasonable but $20 to ship is twice what I've paid other US online concerns - heck, my Campdraft came all the way from Australia in less than a week for less than $20.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Salty, I agree with you on thier shipping cost, but....

.... DM uses the USPS straight Parcel Post rates and Helmer ships by UPS insured ground which must be signed for and cost more. Besides they had the hat I WANTED :) so I pay the higher price :)

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
monbla256 said:
.... DM uses the USPS straight Parcel Post rates and Helmer ships by UPS insured ground which must be signed for and cost more. Besides they had the hat I WANTED :) so I pay the higher price :)

They must carry more hats than they list on their website - the only Akubra they show online is the Snowy River. I'll have to give them a call.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
If you get their catalog, they have a number of Akubra models.

I've only ordered from them a couple of times, but both times were very positive experiences.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
hatophile said:
Given some of the problems we have seen from members with retailers lately this is very nice to hear for a change.
Ain't that the truth.

theinterchange

One Too Many
It's nice to read something pleasant, thanks for posting this! :eusa_clap I agree that even though they're the distributor for Akubra stateside, they didn't have to direct you to another retailer. Most would just say tough luck and go about their business. I believe my next Akubra will be from DM.

I must admit to thinking I was about to read a horror story regarding a hat that looked as if Freddy and Jason had a hold of it or something. :eek:

Pleasant surprise.

Randy

Dewhurst

Practically Family
monbla256 said:
.... was one of the BEST I have had with a retailer in years !

I agree, David Morgan is a top notch outfit.

monbla256 said:
IMHO, this was the kind of service that I would classify as "above and beyond" and not found in today's 21st century retailing!! Instead of just saying they DON"T carry that color and leaving it at that, they assisted me in finding the hat I wanted!

That is great. IMHO, I have found that a lot of 21st Century retailers really understand the value of "above and beyond" service and are diligently working at it. So many stores, online and offline, have gone beyond my expectations in the last few years that I'm starting to think it is a modern trend!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Insinity