Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real McCoy Steinbeck

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have admired photos of Real McCoy’s Steinbeck since the jacket was released last year, but I have repeatedly balked at buying one because I own the Real McCoy Oklahoma and the two jackets are the identical cut/design. The only different between the jackets is the hide – the Oklahoma is deerskin and the Steinbeck is horsehide. I have two Himel Canucks, but I rationalized that duplication because one is brown and one is black. The Oklahoma and Steinbeck are both black, which made the duplicative design more concerning based solely on photos.

Last weekend, I had the opportunity to see the Steinbeck in person (at Inspiration). It only took a few seconds for my duplicative design concerns to fly out the window. Notwithstanding the duplicative design, the Steinbeck and the Oklahoma have a very different character and appearance. The deerskin and the Shinki HH are profoundly different in character, grain, texture and feel – they are also meaningfully different shades of black (don’t go there) – the Shinki HH is darker than the deerskin. The significant differences in the hides creates a very different look to the jackets. The Oklahoma is more relaxed/casual, where as the Steinbeck has more of a moto look/feel to it.

What really sold me on the Steinbeck is the particular Shinki HH used for this jacket. I have two other black Shinki jackets and, while both have wonderful grain and character, the black Shinki on the Steinbeck is even better. It is amazing – the best black Shinki I personally have ever seen – right up there with the brown Shinki on my Good Wear Imperial. The Steinbeck Shinki is tea core, where as my other two black Shinkis are black all the way through – I wonder if that makes a difference in terms of the character of the hide?

I need some assistance. The sleeves have creases where they were folded during transport. I would like to remove the creases. What is the best way to remove creases in leather without damaging the leather? Thanks in advance.

Real%20McCoy%20Steinbeck%2020_zpspbdlpkco.jpg

Real%20McCoy%20Steinbeck%2021_zpsonogbyno.jpg

Real%20McCoy%20Steinbeck%2022_zpsu9hiwc8j.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I would imagine that the creases in the sleeves from folding during shipping will clear with "skillful neglect" but have no other input other than to say be careful doing anything at all. I will say that is a dynamite, helluva looking jacket. :thumb: Can you impart any information regarding sizing, specifically body and sleeve length?

ProteinNerd

Great looking jacket! I'd expect the creases will fall out over time naturally.

I did chuckle thought that you managed to convince yourself that you needed 2 of the same jacket in the same colour just with a different leather lol
Didn't you recently get a GW Imperial as well in black!!! Not sure of the differences in the back design but they are pretty similar from the front...
Don't mind me though...I'm just jealous ;)

pawineguy

One Too Many
Beautiful jacket and fit. I'm really impressed with the look of the Shinki, the grain is already stunning and I'm sure it will just get better and better.

Superfluous

Thanks for the kind words gents.

Can you impart any information regarding sizing, specifically body and sleeve length?

As I recall, the sleeves are approx 26, and the back length is approx 25. I can take precise measurements if anyone is interested.

I did chuckle thought that you managed to convince yourself that you needed 2 of the same jacket in the same colour just with a different leather lol Didn't you recently get a GW Imperial as well in black!!! Not sure of the differences in the back design but they are pretty similar from the front...

I am profoundly disturbed!!

My GW Imperial is brown, and has a very different Hercules design.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
A very tasty looking jacket. I have lusted over several of the Japanese makers. They just look good, clean, simple solid. I have a Buzz Rickson coming soon. You must show the back of that jacket. maybe I can find a shot online.

I work on my vintage jacket which often come long time folder. I stuff the sleeves with plastic shopping bags, other kinds of household stuffing materials. get them stuffed and stay there for some time. it really is good therapy for the older jackets. Your jacket just needs to be worn, if you hang it stuff the sleeves. some leather you just have to wear.

Terry

Mark

Practically Family
What a stunning jacket and the fit is very likely the best fitting jacket I have seen. I do not have a black jacket or ever really fancied one but yours is causing me to reconsider. Beautiful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82