Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Randolph Field Ramblers

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I've had this little item hanging around for EVER. I found it at a junk shop or flea market or whatever, decades ago. I didn't know much (make that anything) about it, but I knew that Randolph Field was the old Army Air Corps training facility in Texas, so it had to be cool in some way. Little did I know. Well I just finally Googled it a few days ago, and what a story!
The Randolph Field Ramblers were a football team that played intercollegiate football against some of the most powerful college teams during the 1943 and 1944 seasons. They played Texas to a 7 - 7 tie in the 1944 Cotton Bowl, after a 9 - 1 regular season record. They had a record of 11 - 0 the next season. I have no idea of the exact age of this pennant, but it must be from just about that time. Anyhow, I love it.
Ramblerspennant.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
And not only that . . .

But in doing a little more Googling I discovered that Randolph Field (or AFB as it's now designated) must be one of the most beautiful Art Deco architectural complexes in the country. There is a collection of Deco Spanish syle buildings from the 30's that are just magnificent. The main admin building is nick named the Taj Mahal for good reason.
http://texashistory.unt.edu/search/?q=randolph+air+force+base&t=dc.subject

carter

I'll Lock Up
Located near San Antonio, TX

Historic District:
Randolph Field Historic District, located at the center of Randolph Air Force Base, is a National Historic Landmark. The district consists of 397 buildings and other features, most of which were built between 1929 and 1932, in an area of approximately 405 acres (1.6 km²).

The "Taj Mahal" Building 100 at Randolph AFB
Taj_Morning.jpg

Old and New Air Traffic Control Towers (1997)
395px-Randolph_AFB_control_towers_1997.jpg

I wonder if they have one (or more) of those pennants on the base. Hmmm...May be time for a Road Trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da_ly