Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RAF Gauntlets

Edward

Bartender
Next month I shall be headed on my first Winter trip to Beijing, and have been well warned about how cold it will be. I am considering gloves, specifically, if they can do them quick enough (as a stock item) Aero's RAF gloves. Are they significantly warmer than the USAAF A10 gloves? Any recommendation as to whether I should go for the straight zip 33 pattern, or the later 41 diagonal zip style? My Irvin is an ELC 42 pattern, tho I'm not too fussy what i wear with it... normally I wear civilian gloves, and today i wore A10s.

UWEZ

New in Town
Hi Edward,
the temperature in Beijing will be in Winter about the same as in central Europe, thus maybe -10 to -15oC lowest. A pair of A10 should do the job easily. Of course it also depends how long you want to stay outside and on your outside activities. I have some experience, because here in Ulaanbaatar it goes down to -45oC at night and -30oC during daytime in winter. Now it is already -14oC at night.
Cold regards
Uwe

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
The RAF Gauntlets are coollooking - but without any lining.
You might consider using them as they were supposed to be used, with a pair of silk/wool gloves inside.
On the other hand (sorry) why go through the trouble with two pair of gloves.

If you - however - decide to get them, I find the 33 type easier to use than the diagonal zipper. (I have both)
But- be warned: The 33 type from Aero is not 100% original! While the 41 should be as close to the original as possible. Only mention this, in case you bump into a fanatic :)

Edward

Bartender
Thank-you, Gentlemen. I won't be outside for long periods of time - at least, not for most of the week, so hopefully I won't experience too much extreme cold. The A10s I know are fairly light.... I'm not sure who made mine, to be honest. I bought them on eBay, second hand but they don't appear to have been used at all. I suspect the knits may be synthentic, or a blend at least, but they'll do my job (could never justify the price of the ELC or Buzz versions, no matter how good those undoubtedly are).

Spitfire - especially useful information on the lack of lining - that I didn't know. I actually was under the impression they had some sort of heavy duty wool or fleece lining - I think that probably rules them out, then. I'm sure they're great gloves but the attraction was to have something that is a heavy duty glove to avoid layering. I'll have to look into something else, then. Thanks!

ETA:

Just been on eBay and ordered myself up some new sheepskin gloves in a fairly classic style - one pair in brown, the other black. These should do my job! Thank-you again, Gentlemen.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
These arrived this morning:

5f7d_1_sbl.JPG

Very pleased with the quality. Suede feel outer to this sheepskin, while the fleecy bit inside feels less like the fleece of my Irvin, and more akin to a mouton. I'm resisting the temptation to start wearing them now so that I will hopefully feel the full benefit when I get out to Beijing. These are the ones I'll take to go with my Irvin, and the long brown wool overcoat I intend to take with me. Of course, if I'm going to have heavy duty gloves for the Winter, I also require black.... and I do indeed have a black pair with a nappa outer finish on their way to me. Both pairs for just about GBP30, including the postage. I think these will definitely do my job better than the gauntlets - thank you again, all, for the information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld