Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peacoat

Bartender
Thinking about getting a vintage Navy pea coat. I am 5’6’’, 165-170 lbs, with a 40 inch chest. I am on the leaner side of things. A 40 measured around 42 in the chest on most jackets. Is that typical? Would a 40R be too long? I wear 40s in sport coats.
If your measured chest circumference is 40" then, a size 40 (p2p of 22.25") peacoat would give you room for a sweater. For a trimmer fit with no room for a sweater, a size 38 peacoat is what you want.

For accuracy, we always use the measured chest circumference. We never state it in jacket or peacoat size.

For more info on getting a good fit in a peacoat, see the below link, which will take you to the Guides Section:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...ze-in-a-us-navy-pea-coat.110255/#post-2986330

Lorinz

Familiar Face
I have an opportunity to buy a vintage navy peacoat, and was curious about two things in particular. One is, I wonder if anyone can tell if it's truly vintage and determine its authenticity from looking at it? The seller doesn't have much information on it, like it's background or what time period it was made in. The other thing is I see what looks like a few loose buttons, does it look that way to you or am I imagining it? Is that something that's easy to get fixed?

I included the photos of it, any input and advice concerning the authenticity of it, as well as the thing with the buttons being loose would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    488.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    414 KB · Views: 39
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    469.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 7.jpeg
    7.jpeg
    494.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 8.jpeg
    8.jpeg
    410.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 9.jpeg
    9.jpeg
    315.9 KB · Views: 30

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Loose buttons are really easy to fix, you can even do it by yourself.
I'm no peacoat expert but it seems that this is a 1974 issued peacoat. I had no idea peacoats were issued in the 70's.

vintagewool

Familiar Face
I have an opportunity to buy a vintage navy peacoat,...

DSA is military issue.

The DSA number indicates that it is a 1974 coat.

The coat is of historical interest for 3 reasons:
1. 1974 might be the first year for the pewter buttons.
2. 1974 is the earliest year so far known to me for a melton-wool coat.
3. The label indicates that the melton-wool coat is blue, not black.

The buttons should not droop. It looks like at least one button is drooping considerably. For decorative buttons, it doesn't take much sewing to make them snug. There are forum posts about completely re-sewing a peacoat button.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
This melton coat will be black and not blue.

The pewter button began to appear on peacoats issued to recruits in 1974, with Navy wide changeover required by July 1, 1976 .

spoonbelly1950

Familiar Face
I have an opportunity to buy a vintage navy peacoat, and was curious about two things in particular. One is, I wonder if anyone can tell if it's truly vintage and determine its authenticity from looking at it? The seller doesn't have much information on it, like it's background or what time period it was made in. The other thing is I see what looks like a few loose buttons, does it look that way to you or am I imagining it? Is that something that's easy to get fixed?

I included the photos of it, any input and advice concerning the authenticity of it, as well as the thing with the buttons being loose would be much appreciated. Thank you.
eirI have an opportunity to buy a vintage navy peacoat, and was curious about two things in particular. One is, I wonder if anyone can tell if it's truly vintage and determine its authenticity from looking at it? The seller doesn't have much information on it, like it's background or what time period it was made in. The other thing is I see what looks like a few loose buttons, does it look that way to you or am I imagining it? Is that something that's easy to get fixed?

If I remember right the inside pocket is a diaganal slit on the right inside of the Melton coats. There is a lot of information on it . Was just looking at my 2 Meltons. They are pretty good lookin' coats.

spoonbelly1950

Familiar Face
Sorry about that Peacoat. I just saw your offer for the CG WWII button ID. Will get those button photos out soon.
Peacoat - sorry for the delay. I took pictures of my WW II coats. One came to me with no tag. I don't know if it's a Navy or a CG coat. My 2nd WWII coat has a CG tag which was the tag I had sent you. I took pictures of the buttons on both WWII coats and from two other post war coats. I couldn't get very accurate pictures to compare any. However they all looked exactly the same = there was no difference between any of them. I am basing this on visual inspection. The pictures were taken with my cellphone. I think the most accurate pictures would be from a camera which we don't have.

Last edited:

alandmann

New in Town
Thanks @Peacoat.
Do you recall ever seeing one that said Coast Guard on the tag??
B
Ps: hope you are well.
Hi,
I have recently got my hands on a Sterlingwear of Boston Peacoat circa 1970. My question is regarding it's length. It goes longer then butt length... perhaps to mid thigh. The fit elsewhere is fine....I am just wondering is mid thigh length normal for a peacoat?
Thank you

Peacoat

Bartender
Hi,
I have recently got my hands on a Sterlingwear of Boston Peacoat circa 1970. My question is regarding it's length. It goes longer then butt length... perhaps to mid thigh. The fit elsewhere is fine....I am just wondering is mid thigh length normal for a peacoat?
Thank you
No, that is way too long. A peacoat should end an Inch or two below the butt.

Why do you think your peacoat is about 1970? And why do you think it is a "Sterlingwear of Boston?" Although they were making peacoats then, I'm not aware they were using that name in 1970.

I'm always interested in learning something new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1