Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question Regarding Sombrero (Vintage / Antique)..?

DKetch

New in Town
Hello All, was wondering if anyone could provide some information about an old and beautiful Mexican Sombrero I came across from an estate sale in Virginia. I have been looking online for hours without success to find someone who might be able to provide me an answer about the sombrero, and so I was hoping you could help me with a couple minutes of your time and expertise. The brim is 14 inches across, and the crown is about six inches tall. The inside appears to be made of woven straw covered with either felt or wool. The embroidery is amazing and features an eagle with a snake stitched into the crown and two crossed Mexican flags below its talons, and the stitching around the brim is intricate as is the chin strap. The exterior of the hat is made of very soft material such as felt. I have been told by Facebook sites that it is very unique and possibly historic, but I honestly do not know. Would you be able to tell me any possible background info from the pics I have included (possible timeframe, location, rarity, etc...), please? ANY information would be appreciated. Thank You in Advance!
Antique - Mexican Straw Sombrarro - 1.jpg
Antique - Mexican Straw Sombrarro - 2.jpg
Antique - Mexican Straw Sombrarro - 3.jpg
Antique - Mexican Straw Sombrarro - 4.jpg
IMG_2177.JPG
IMG_2182.JPG

AHP91

One Too Many
Hello All, was wondering if anyone could provide some information about an old and beautiful Mexican Sombrero I came across from an estate sale in Virginia. I have been looking online for hours without success to find someone who might be able to provide me an answer about the sombrero, and so I was hoping you could help me with a couple minutes of your time and expertise. The brim is 14 inches across, and the crown is about six inches tall. The inside appears to be made of woven straw covered with either felt or wool. The embroidery is amazing and features an eagle with a snake stitched into the crown and two crossed Mexican flags below its talons, and the stitching around the brim is intricate as is the chin strap. The exterior of the hat is made of very soft material such as felt. I have been told by Facebook sites that it is very unique and possibly historic, but I honestly do not know. Would you be able to tell me any possible background info from the pics I have included (possible timeframe, location, rarity, etc...), please? ANY information would be appreciated. Thank You in Advance! View attachment 627005 View attachment 627006 View attachment 627007 View attachment 627008 View attachment 627009 View attachment 627010
Put it at auction. That will tell you what it’s worth, as this is usually what these posts lend to.

Hello All, was wondering if anyone could provide some information about an old and beautiful Mexican Sombrero I came across from an estate sale in Virginia.
I don't know bee $h17 from wild honey about dating a sombrero but it looks like a traditional Charro sombrero to me. The eagle embroidery on the crown seems to be a common theme.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads