Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Propper CWU 36p

MGfan

New in Town
Picked one up used at an estate sale. Looks to be unused. Can’t find any info on this particular jacket online. I can find info about propper just not this jacket. Also is there a way to get the wrinkles out of it or should I just have it dry cleaned and hope that takes care of it.

Attachments

• IMG_4039.jpeg
    IMG_4039.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4040.jpeg
    IMG_4040.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 49

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some of the former military pilots here might have more direct advice but my feeling is the wrinkles would just go from wearing and letting it shake out that way. The overall look is part of the charm.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's a long thread for you:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/nomex-flyer-jacket.75006/

The jacket has definitely been used (the tag is the giveaway) but not in a military setting or it would be oily and dirty. The 36P jackets really don't show use until you kick the sh*t out of them. The 45P jackets seem to look "used" faster for some reason. The wrinkles are from being balled up, rather than folded up or hanging from a hanger.

Just run the jacket through your washing machine: delicate/gentle cycle, cold water, minimal amount of liquid detergent. Then hang on a wide hanger to dry. Smooth out any creases while wet on the hanger. It will be dry in a few hours if the room is dry. I used to have about ten of these, 36P and 45P, and had no probs with washing them in a machine (I suppose there's always a first time for this to go bad, so this isn't a guarantee, haha). The great thing is these are fully synthetic and dirt and crud doesn't stay in them like it does with cotton or wool. I once had one of these 36P jackets that looked like it had been used to mop up oil under a leaking car but it cleaned up and looked new afterwards. Never had a prob with wrinkles after washing but then I keep mine carefully folded up in boxes.

Last edited:

mumpy

A-List Customer
Here's a long thread for you:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/nomex-flyer-jacket.75006/

The jacket has definitely been used (the tag is the giveaway) but not in a military setting or it would be oily and dirty. The 36P jackets really don't show use until you kick the sh*t out of them. The 45P jackets seem to look "used" faster for some reason. The wrinkles are from being balled up, rather than folded up or hanging from a hanger.

Just run the jacket through your washing machine: delicate/gentle cycle, cold water, minimal amount of liquid detergent. Then hang on a wide hanger to dry. Smooth out any creases while wet on the hanger. It will be dry in a few hours if the room is dry. I used to have about ten of these, 36P and 45P, and had no probs with washing them in a machine (I suppose there's always a first time for this to go bad, so this isn't a guarantee, haha). The great thing is these are fully synthetic and dirt and crud doesn't stay in them like it does with cotton or wool. I once had one of these 36P jackets that looked like it had been used to mop up oil under a leaking car but it cleaned up and looked new afterwards. Never had a prob with wrinkles after washing but then I keep mine carefully folded up in boxes.
Yeah I have machine washed my jackets as well with no issues at all. Just make sure you rinse them properly of the soap to preserve the fire retardant property of the material.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007