Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Presents for your S.O.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
Went shopping today for my fiance's Christmas presents. Working on expanding his wardrobe and putting some style into his everyday. I bought a couple dress shirts on sale at Express in light more casual colors for work. A pair of brown shoes and two pairs of pants. Black and Grey. I also stopped into Things Remembered (a store that has a lot of different keepsake items that they engrave while you wait. jewelry boxes, frames, etc.). He just got a promotion so for a nice present for him I got cufflinks engraved with his initials on them, a flask, and zippo lighter engraved with an "i love you daddy" from our daughter. It's a really great time for us since this is the first Christmas together that we can actually get each other some gifts and be together.

I was just wondering what you ladies have gotten/are getting your significant others for Christmas.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
I have done really well for my other half.

I managed to find him a sample record of Amy Winehouse's 'Rehab' (he is a DJ) so he will be over the moon with that! Got him some Joop, men's moisturisor - which I am going to MAKE him use! hehe and Some WWII German items, including some cute original German pin up cards! Just desperately trying to find him a repro wallet now.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Oh, what to get?

This year we have decided to not get much for Christmas but wait till afterwards when we are going away together and see what we spot.
He has already bought me a beautiful purple velvet dress to wear for New Years Eve which I am taking to the Dry Cleaners today.
Last year I bought him a set of gold and mother of pearl waistcoat buttons we saw in Scotland to wear with white tie. He was looking at them Sunday and saying how much he likes them. :)
Otherwise, he is getting something practical that he needs but I'm not going to write it incase he is nosing around in here!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I got my boyfriend a Czech marionette since he is really keen on learning how to do puppetry and they originated from there (I think, or they are just traditionally used there). Plus a really expensive set of Letraset Tria pens for his work - something like £65 for 24 pens :eek:

Then I don't know. Either some DVDs or a book or a new t-shirt maybe. Should get on that really.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Fleur De Guerre said:
I got my boyfriend a Czech marionette since he is really keen on learning how to do puppetry and they originated from there (I think, or they are just traditionally used there). Plus a really expensive set of Letraset Tria pens for his work - something like £65 for 24 pens :eek:

Then I don't know. Either some DVDs or a book or a new t-shirt maybe. Should get on that really.

What a cool gift. Has he seen the movie Strings?
strings.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374248/

I love it!

LD

GOK

One Too Many
Because neither of us need any more 'stuff' and that anything we want, we tend to buy for ourselves during the year, and because we both feel that Christmas should not be about the accumulation of material wealth, my presents to K are toilets and safe water for 50 people in Kenya.

CherryBombRock

Familiar Face
That's such a great idea Gok! My housemate and her boyfriend just bought each other 50 trees and clean water through Oxfam - I think I might suggest it to my other half, I think it does really sum up a selfless Christmas! If he doesn't bite on this I know he wants the Planet Earth DVDS (a BBC documentary series)! Not very vintage but he isn't either!

GOK

One Too Many
CherryBombRock said:
That's such a great idea Gok! My housemate and her boyfriend just bought each other 50 trees and clean water through Oxfam - I think I might suggest it to my other half, I think it does really sum up a selfless Christmas! If he doesn't bite on this I know he wants the Planet Earth DVDS (a BBC documentary series)! Not very vintage but he isn't either!

Snap! Mine isn't at all vintage! lol

I feel so strongly about not having people buy me gifts - there is nothing that I need but plenty that others in the world do.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
He wants a subscription to the Harvard Journal of Chinese Studies and a new dictionary. I also found a DVD of the last acts of Yoshitsune Senbon Zakura, but that's more for me. ^_^ He also wants a paper cutter and a laser printer. OH! I just remembered! I should get him some pictures by John Dollar... I wonder if I can still get some.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
~landgirl~ said:
I have done really well for my other half.

I managed to find him a sample record of Amy Winehouse's 'Rehab' (he is a DJ) so he will be over the moon with that! Got him some Joop, men's moisturisor - which I am going to MAKE him use! hehe and Some WWII German items, including some cute original German pin up cards! Just desperately trying to find him a repro wallet now.

I too am looking for a repro wallet--or just a really nice one. Any of you ladies out there see a nice wallet?

MissHuff

A-List Customer
GOK said:
Because neither of us need any more 'stuff' and that anything we want, we tend to buy for ourselves during the year, and because we both feel that Christmas should not be about the accumulation of material wealth, my presents to K are toilets and safe water for 50 people in Kenya.

That's an amazing gift, GOK. Nothing better than helping people in need. My fiance sells pipe, like for big water parks and aquariums. They're a fairly small company but one of the top for the industry and they're working on getting involved with the water for life effort to help supply what they need to set up clean water systems in countries that don't have it.

GOK

One Too Many
MissHuff said:
That's an amazing gift, GOK. Nothing better than helping people in need. My fiance sells pipe, like for big water parks and aquariums. They're a fairly small company but one of the top for the industry and they're working on getting involved with the water for life effort to help supply what they need to set up clean water systems in countries that don't have it.

That's so cool. Good for him and his company. The world needs more people like this. :D

Madison Paige

Familiar Face
I'm buying my boyfriend a really nice shaving set. Razor, shaving brush, shaving cream bowl, all on a beautiful stand (I'm a sucker for sets of things). And then I'm getting him a few other suprises that I can't mention, because he may be snooping around here, and if thats the case...Honey, stay out of the Powder Room! :D

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I found a great smoking/lounging vintage robe on ebay. I haven't recieved it yet, I'm anxious!
He drinks Tuaca and I found a great bar mirror on ebay too. Last year I got him a vintage smoke stand.

Nikki

Elaina

One Too Many
We always seem broke at Christmas, so we worry about the boy and get small gifts for each other. I'm looking for a Star Trek tie, and I've made him a tie out of grey silk with holographic skulls in it.

Our anniversary is Feb. 5th so we usually wait and go all out then. But then like every 6-8 weeks we have a birthday until July (April 2, May 31, July 23) so we spread it out too.

And we do a lot of spending the rest of the year on ourselves and the boy so smaller holidays aren't too big a deal.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
If I might wander in and offer a man's point of view...

If your man is of the mindset that most on this forum are, here are a few easy and inexpensive items:

Bay Rum or Royall Spyce - great scents, packaging and good value.

Collar bars - see other posts on this topic, they're somewhat easy to find, inexpensive and styles vary enough to warrant several.

Tie bars - also plentiful with many styles. Look for ones that match what he's already got.

Cufflinks - another with threads dedicated to them here. Again, see what he's already got and work with the theme.

If he doesn't wear cufflinks and you'd like him to try, get him a dress shirt with french cuffs and the links to go with it. No tie appropriate for a tie bar? Try finding a tie you'd like on him to go with the bar. Sure, a tie is somewhat passe, but it's in the presentation...if there's more than just a tie, such as items that match and play into it, it'll be fun to try it out all at once.

Try the Taxi Wallet for wallets. Tough, compact yet roomy, and versatile.

ebay is a great resource for much of these...time is, of course, running out, but not all auctions have 7 days left to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe