Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mighty44

One Too Many
An excellent first English hat, David. Well worth falling off the wagon for.

The King referred to would be George VI who reigned from late 1936 to 1952. The shape and style of the hat definitely place it in the 1930s/40s era.

After his death Scott & Co were hatters to George VI's daughter and new queen, Elizabeth II.

Lock & Co took over Scott & Co in 1969.

Just some useless hat history for anyone interested :)
Love it—thanks, Steve! Do you think this would have been made in Stockport? I have a cousin there who would love to hear it, if so.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Nice hat, and a great shop, Randall.

Don’t know a thing about this foreign hat, except it looks great and is well made.
Jonathan says it’s probably something Steve and Stefan @Steve1857 @steur could shed light on. View attachment 637842 View attachment 637843 View attachment 637844 View attachment 637845
Plus: a few pics of my freshly built hat shop. Was working in different rooms of the house. This dedicated space will be sweet!!
View attachment 637846 View attachment 637847

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Slow. Too many other things on the schedule with the start of school.

VS Glacier this morning.
20231217_184523.jpg

Thanks, Randy!
How’s the guitar build goin?

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Love it—thanks, Steve! Do you think this would have been made in Stockport? I have a cousin there who would love to hear it, if so.
I'm sorry to say, I don't believe it has any Stockport connection, David.

However, I'm sure you can find one of the Stockport hatters hats to add to your English collection :)

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Don’t know a thing about this foreign hat, except it looks great and is well made.
Jonathan says it’s probably something Steve and Stefan @Steve1857 @steur could shed light on. View attachment 637842 View attachment 637843 View attachment 637844 View attachment 637845
Plus: a few pics of my freshly built hat shop. Was working in different rooms of the house. This dedicated space will be sweet!!
View attachment 637846 View attachment 637847
Love your new hat shop Randall. I can definitely see you hattering away there.

Lucien de Brabant et frére was a top notch Parisien hat shop like Sools. They didn't make their own hats, so whoever made that one will remain a mystery. It could be Mossant or Motsch, perhaps.

Is there a label under the sweat?

I'm sure Stefan can shed more light.

Randall Renshaw

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Lucien de Brabant et frére was a top notch Parisien hat shop like Sools. They didn't make their own hats, so whoever made that one will remain a mystery. It could be Mossant or Motsch, perhaps.

Thanks, Steve!
Yes, I’m enjoying the new shop. I’m not in the business of working on other folks hats at this time, but still do plenty of hat work and wish I’d have built this room much earlier.
Was talking with my good friend Jonathan about this hat and he opined that judging by the union label and brim width that it may be from the early to mid 40s era. Added that it may have even been built by a US company.

Attachments

• B1C0C6D1-121D-4AB1-BC15-7ECFDA8DF0CB.jpeg
    B1C0C6D1-121D-4AB1-BC15-7ECFDA8DF0CB.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 21
  • 472D038D-9436-4A73-BA47-342F017FCB28.jpeg
    472D038D-9436-4A73-BA47-342F017FCB28.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Steve!
Yes, I’m enjoying the new shop. I’m not in the business of working on other folks hats at this time, but still do plenty of hat work and wish I’d have built this room much earlier.
Was talking with my good friend Jonathan about this hat and he opined that judging by the union label and brim width that it may be from the early 40s era. Added that it may have even been built by a US company.
I'm definitely of the opinion that it is a 1940s era hat.

The red duplicate label looks Stetson like to me.

Thanks, Steve!
Was talking with my good friend Jonathan about this hat and he opined that judging by the union label and brim width that it may be from the early to mid 40s era. Added that it may have even been built by a US company.
I'm definitely of the opinion that it is a 1940s era hat.

The red duplicate label looks Stetson like to me.
I agree with all of you!:D No extra light to be shed I'm afraid, at least not by me. Haven't handled one. The ones I've seen on auction sites look indeed to be American made judging by size label and liner style. Very cool hat and equally cool find.

Olumin

Familiar Face
I brought my recently received Agnoulita to a local milliner to have it modified. The bright white ribbon and binding simply where not what I expected when I selected them online and looked cheap.

I had the ribbon and binding replaced with a cream coloured one, with a different style bow. She even redid the button to match!

IMG43006.jpeg
IMG43002.jpeg
IMG43003.jpeg
IMG43004.jpeg
IMG43005.jpeg

I think she did fantastic work, and now it actually looks like a premium hand made hat rather then something cheaply pressed out by a factory. Not a knock against Agnoulita but the ribbon was simply cheap looking.

Here for comparison the original as i received it:
IMG14136.jpeg

I think its a night and day difference.

At the same time I also had a leather sweatband installed in one of my Panamas:
IMG43001.jpeg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Very nice hats.

I brought my recently received Agnoulita to a local milliner to have it modified. The bright white ribbon and binding simply where not what I expected when I selected them online and looked cheap.

I had the ribbon and binding replaced with a cream coloured one, with a different style bow. She even redid the button to match!

View attachment 638157 View attachment 638158 View attachment 638159 View attachment 638160 View attachment 638161

I think she did fantastic work, and now it actually looks like a premium hand made hat rather then something cheaply pressed out by a factory. Not a knock against Agnoulita but the ribbon was simply cheap looking.

Here for comparison the original as i received it:
View attachment 638162

I think its a night and day difference.

At the same time I also had a leather sweatband installed in one of my Panamas:
View attachment 638166

Gannon Gambler
20231103_182959.jpg 20231103_081753.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1