Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
New Hat, Almost Here :D

According to the USPS tracking service, my Akubra Lightning Ridge shipped out on Monday from DavidMorgan and should arrive today. I won't get home till late tonight, so I may not be able to post pics until tomorrow.

Here's the best part of the whole thing (well, aside from the hat): According to DavidMorgan's own estimation of shipping times, this package should have arrived on Friday or Saturday, but it somehow made it across the country (with the normal $8.00 flat shipping) in less than 72 hours!

danofarlington

nofortune said:
So, I made my first 'real' hat purchase not a month ago.
2cho094.jpg

The only quaim I have is that I can't make up my mind on what looks best wearing with it.
Looks good. But, you are now condemned to hours of mirror time figuring out what goes with the hat. It definitely matters. At least, that's what I do. After the mirror time I have a pretty good idea which hats I want to wear outside with what. Wrong decisions look silly. Right decisions look pretty good. The variables often seem to be, how dressy are the clothes with a paticular hat, because many hats--men's dress hats in particular--are cool but rather dressy. There are plenty of other hats to dress down with, of course, but many of the ones you might want to buy seem to go better with up-dressing. You can wait until another time of life for the latter, however, no problem.

Neophyte

As I'd hoped, my Akubra Lightning Ridge (from their Heritage line) was waiting for me when I returned home from college for the week :D!!!

More pics and info in the Akubra Overload thread, but here's a noggin shot. The indoor lighting really doesn't do the hat justice, but it's nighttime here, so there's not much I can do lol:

AkubraLightningRidgeSand1.jpg

Neophyte

kyboots said:
Oh! man that is a great hat! John

I'm really, really happy with this hat. My face shape usually doesn't work with taper, but the wide, downturn brim and leather band make it work. Buying it was a stretch for me, but it turned out alright. An instant favorite lol.

danofarlington

Neophyte said:
As I'd hoped, my Akubra Lightning Ridge (from their Heritage line) was waiting for me when I returned home from college for the week :D!!!

More pics and info in the Akubra Overload thread, but here's a noggin shot. The indoor lighting really doesn't do the hat justice, but it's nighttime here, so there's not much I can do lol:

That one suits you well. I think the taper is good. Trial and error has paid off for you.

DRB

One Too Many
Neophyte said:

Neophyte: Lookin' good Hollywood!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Very old Stetson Select Quality Fedora

5060176309_5d9d653903_b.jpg

5060779088_0a0e4d8280_b.jpg

5060789634_eb2ea30deb_z.jpg

Not a Homburg as the upturned overwelt edge brim has a consistent curvature all the way around. The Felt is in excellent shape and the sweatband looked great originally but turns out to have dry rot so it breaks apart when handled too much. Both crown and brim are very soft not stiff. Hat listing had only one small blurry photo. Unfortunately a size 7. Appears the ribbon was replaced about 80 years ago with one slightly smaller than original.[huh]

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
Not a Homburg as the upturned overwelt edge brim has a consistent curvature all the way around. The Felt is in excellent shape and the sweatband looked great originally but turns out to have dry rot so it breaks apart when handled too much. Hat listing had only one small blurry photo. Unfortunately a size 7. Appears the ribbon was replaced about 80 years ago with one slightly smaller than original.[huh]

Please invite me to the museum opening. I love looking at your hats. :eusa_clap

V1King

New in Town
Dundee said:

Hello

I´m a newborn hat-lover from Sweden looking for models that may fit me, Just discovered this great forum. Many of you have some good looking hat´s that I would love to have =]. Can I ask what´s the name of that hat-model?

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Need a little help with this one

I got this in the mail yesterday from a purchase on "the bay" and unfortunately it had the wrong size in the description. It said it was a 7 3/8 but I think it is either a 7 1/8 or 7 1/4. I'll measure the band when I get a chance. From what I can find on the FL, Resistol stopped making fedoras and using the "Byer-Rolnick" in 1968, and stopped using the strange "O's" in the "Resistol" on the liner around 1960 or so. So my guess (which with my experience is truly guessing) is mid-sixties. I think the little jet pin on the bow is cool. Here are the pictures:
65618e54.jpg
1fe22d0c.jpg

And the liner:
f4296b47.jpg

The sweat band has the "Resistol Self-Conforming" and "Melorol" printing as well as a person's initials and "707"
Can anybody help me by providing any additional information on this one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe