Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
Can someone recommend a great hat store in NYC? I am looking for a new fedora (I only own two and they were hand me downs) and would really like to shop at a store that will be very helpful in my journey :)

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
AXL DEMOCRACY said:
Can someone recommend a great hat store in NYC? I am looking for a new fedora (I only own two and they were hand me downs) and would really like to shop at a store that will be very helpful in my journey :)

Try Bencraft Hats in Brooklyn or JJ Hat Center at 31st and 5th Ave in Manhattan, also Worth and Worth in Manhattan on 57th. I have no experience with W&W; JJHC is very helpful but expect to pay uptown prices. Bencraft is a regular poster here (as Besdor) and seems very helpful and the prices seem reasonable compared to online retailers. All three have websites. It's definitely worth a trip to a brick and mortar hat shop.

Tooch

One of the Regulars
Stratoliner and Mallory thin ribbon

I picked up these two recently -- both in excellent condition.

The Stetson Stratoliner arrived with a dry crease added by the vendor that popped right out. As far as I can tell, it might never have been worn.

IMG_0956.jpg

(The pin didn't come with the hat -- it's a modern addition, courtesy of a fellow lounge member.)

IMG_0989.jpg

The Mallory had been worn -- the vestiges of a center dent are apparent, and after playing with the hat some, I decided the original owner was on to something. But if it was worn, it wasn't worn much.

IMG_0957.jpg

There's no model name in the hat, but it looks much like the Mallory Dallas that I've seen worn by other lounge members.

IMG_0991.jpg

Open crown, both hats are 5 1/4 inches high. The Stratoliner has a 2 1/2-inch brim, while the Mallory has a 2 3/8-inch brim.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Tooch said:

The Stetson Stratoliner arrived with a dry crease added by the vendor that popped right out. As far as I can tell, it might never have been worn.

IMG_0956.jpg

(The pin didn't come with the hat -- it's a modern addition, courtesy of a fellow lounge member.)

IMG_0989.jpg

The Mallory had been worn -- the vestiges of a center dent are apparent, and after playing with the hat some, I decided the original owner was on to something. But if it was worn, it wasn't worn much.

IMG_0957.jpg

There's no model name in the hat, but it looks much like the Mallory Dallas that I've seen worn by other lounge members.

IMG_0991.jpg

Open crown, both hats are 5 1/4 inches high. The Stratoliner has a 2 1/2-inch brim, while the Mallory has a 2 3/8-inch brim.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

buler

I'll Lock Up
Tooch said:

Tooch, both great hats and look very good on you.

B

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Panama...

I just got this Panama from Worth & Worth. I already own a couple of straws from them--An optimo and a Diamante. Pics in the panama canal thread--and I call them my "quasi-Montecristi".
Quasi because even though they are not Montecristi (and aren't sold as such by them) they are extremely fine woven. Tight and even amazing hats. Take a look at my newest.

DSC04758.jpg

DSC04759.jpg

DSC04767.jpg

Weave with a super lens for closeups.
DSC04764.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe