Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
Mr E Train said:
That just made me wonder--has anyone ever done a "reverse Optimo" crease that pokes in instead of out? I'm trying to imagine it, and what I'm imagining isn't very appealing.

I imagine it would look like you're wearing a rear end on your head. This might actually come in handy for labelling certain personality types. You may be onto something here. lol

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
Thanks, Aureliano. After doing some re-reading in the Panama Canal thread, I'm thinking this one may actually be a Cuenca, based on the series of posts starting at Post 119. [huh]

Cheers,
JtL

Hmm... the way the edge of the brim is finished doesn't quite look like a Cuenca. It doesn't look folded but finished like a Montecristi. Either way it is a fine, gorgeous hat. Let us know what it is when you get it!:D

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Lexybeast said:
I imagine it would look like you're wearing a rear end on your head. This might actually come in handy for labelling certain personality types. You may be onto something here. lol
lol lol lol lol lol

If the hat ever stretched, Prep. H might shrink it back to size as well :whistling

One Too Many
Montecristi

This hat is an authentic Panama Montecristi woven in Ecuador, is the only place in the world where the hats are woven in this way, the brim is hand finished, does not use sewing machine to finish the brim, the Cuenca Hats also woven in this land are more hards and the brims are finished by sewed, because the straw hard does not let finish by hand, the straw become broken . The Montecristi Straw grow only in the low land Ecuador, The Cuenca Straw grow in mountains. There are difference in between both, furthermore, the big difference is wich Montecristi Straw is flexible or crushable and doesn´t break easy.:)

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
150719541 said:
This hat is an authentic Panama Montecristi woven in Ecuador, is the only place in the world where the hats are woven in this way, the brim is hand finished, does not use sewing machine to finish the brim, the Cuenca Hats also woven in this land are more hards and the brims are finished by sewed, because the straw hard does not let finish by hand, the straw become broken . The Montecristi Straw grow only in the low land Ecuador, The Cuenca Straw grow in mountains. There are difference in between both, furthermore, the big difference is wich Montecristi Straw is flexible or crushable and doesn´t break easy.:)
Some of what you write is true, some is not true.

One Too Many
Montecristi, Cuenca and jipi-japa straw hats

Hi Dear Brothers¡¡¡¡¡ It is a pleasure to me write in this page.
Yesterday I wrote about a straw hat, with sweat band "stetson",.
I said that is a montecristi straw, woven in Ecuador (Perhaps in Montecristi or Cuenca) or USA, but sure by a montecristi weaver, because the finished brim is in montecristi style.
Much trade marks buy straw hats in Ecuador, carry at his lands and put in the sweat band the next inscription:" 100% panama straw, woven in Ecuador", others don´t make it.
Through photograph is so difficult say what kind it is. In Latin America are woven hats in many straw fibers, the most famous are panama montecristi, panama cuenca and jipi-japa straw.
Montecristi straw is origin from Montecristi, Ecuador.
Cuenca straw is origin from Cuenca, Ecuador,(Mountains zone)
Jipi-japa is origin from Bekal, Campeche, Mexico (is other fine straw, seems to montecristi in color and texture, looks like.) the main difference is the woven and finished.
In Colombia there is the "vueltiao" hat, made in sugar cane straw, also crushable, fine hat.
To difference first hats, is necesary have them in hands.
The most fine montecristi straw cost more than 1000 american dollars.
(I´m sorry for my english, it is not my idiom)

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
150719541 said:
Cuenca straw is origin from Cuenca, Ecuador,(Mountains zone)
Jipi-japa is origin from Bekal, Campeche, Mexico (is other fine straw, seems to montecristi in color and texture, looks like.) the main difference is the woven and finished.
In Colombia there is the "vueltiao" hat, made in sugar cane straw, also crushable, fine hat.
To difference first hats, is necesary have them in hands.
The most fine montecristi straw cost more than 1000 american dollars.

From what I know from being an Ecuadorian--although living 12 years in "exile":p here in USA--The straw comes to Cuenca from Manabi. I doubt that the cold of the Andes will allow toquilla to grow. Jipi-japa is another town in manabi, south of Montecristi where, back in the day, hats were also woven. Panama hats are still called "sombreros jipijapa" in parts of Ecuador, specially by old folks.

chippy

New in Town
my new Panama hat from Adelaide Hatters

my first post in the Fedora Lounge i thought i should show my new Panama i picked up on impulse the other day while i was in the city...

i have been reading the FD hat section for weeks now, after i came across this forum whilst browsing for info on Panama hats, wow, FL is amazing and is absolutely to blame (i say in advance lol ) for my fever to buy a few new hats, i can see some nice beaver fedora's entering my life in the near future!

Back to my Panama, i was really wanting something extra special, hence my researching here and around, about the panama's. i didnt want something i thought looked too cheap or floppy, as i have noticed on some peoples heads when i have been out on weekends, i wanted something to have a bit of class and was willing to part with some decent money to get it (without heading into the multi thousand dollar bracket)...along the way i sent an email or two to a couple of suppliers with no luck of reply, panama bob and someone else, asking for approx wpsi for a given price but didnt get a reply yet, so when i saw this in the hat shop (adelaide hatters) on special, being the last one and the end of summer (not that end of summer means end of heat in Adelaide), it looked good compared to their other much cheaper hats and the sales lady said it looked good on me (sheeze what a sucker lol ) so i thought, hey, why not just buy it and see how it fairs, if it does well (keeps shape and reassembly durable) then perhaps i can consider spending more money on my next panama..

this was a couple of hundred AU$ although they said it was normally a $500 hat (hmm sales talk, me thinks suspiciously, although she did sound sincere), being a fancy looking shop in a high rent area in the middle of the city, hats can naturally be expected to be more expensive than on the net (e.g an Akubra on the net can be as cheap as AU$90 and in this shop the same hat can be between $120-160), but it was an experiance worth its while, for the learning curve if nothing else. certainly if i had of had this type of service when i was a 20y old then it would have saved me a few dollars, after i sometimes bought a Akubra that fit tight and later seemed too tight, my freinds, family or workers used to end up with free hats every now and again

they gave advice and helped fit several hats to me that showed with the shape of my head how (which up till now i thought was an ok sort of head:eek: ), if the hat is a fraction small, although still comfy enough to wear, they pointed out and showed how the brim distorts slightly. something i am sure most know here already, but in all my years all i have ever done is grab an Akubra of the rack, chuck it on my head and wear it for the next 5 years, not ever looking really in the mirror much. at any rate, with this hat they used some towelling type (because this has a non leather sweat) of stick on inner band, just at the front , they used padding behind the leather sweat on other hats, just at the front as well because it appears that Akubras (other brands too i expect) when placed atop of my head to fit, touching nicely on the side of my head, ends up leaving a gap in the front, a piece of padding fixes that! hmm, weird head eh!

in the hand i liked the look of this hat, i assume its machine blocked with the different looking crease in the top of the crown (can you see the sharp crease in the very centre), i dont know exactly where it was made or if its considered Cuenca or an off chance Monti.., it just says made in Ecuador, as near as i can tell it only has about 12-13 wpi, approx. a 150 wpsi if i am counting them correctly, which i did by counting them as they touch each other at the side tip of each diamond shape (weave), as you could imagine diamond shapes standing on their points, touching points next to each other

IMG_0086.jpg

anyway, nothing to take your breath away folks, but there ya go :)

Big_e

Practically Family
I posted this in 2 other threads but am posting here too since it is my first and favorite summer hat. My new Scala Boater. I bought it off of ebay. I plan to get another with a different color ribbon on it.
Ernest

Picture499.jpg

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Big_e said:
I posted this in 2 other threads but am posting here too since it is my first and favorite summer hat. My new Scala Boater. I bought it off of ebay. I plan to get another with a different color ribbon on it.
Ernest

Picture499.jpg

Does Scala make them with different colored bands? I've only seen them with the standard red and blue guard's band, I think. Or were you planning on getting another and just changing the band yourself?

Big_e

Practically Family
Mr E Train said:
Does Scala make them with different colored bands? I've only seen them with the standard red and blue guard's band, I think. Or were you planning on getting another and just changing the band yourself?

I've only seen Scala sell these kinds of bands. I was thinking maybe getting another brand of boater, lighter or darker straw and different band. I'll get a vintage boater if I can find one my size.
Ernest

One Too Many
Cotton thread hat

2977326690106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

2010089550106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

2293167340106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

It is a cotton thread hat, is almost hard, made in Zumpango, México, the original ribbon was out, the now is silk with a feather from old hat. but beatiful with deep colors and I believe: It looks fine. (The price is now maybe 150- 170 mexican pesos, 12-14 american dollars, plus silk and feather)

150719541 said:
2977326690106357411S600x600Q85.jpg
It is a cotton thread hat, is almost hard, made in Zumpango, México, the original ribbon was out, the now is silk with a feather from old hat. but beatiful with deep colors and I believe: It looks fine. (The price is now maybe 150- 170 mexican pesos, 12-14 american dollars, plus silk and feather)

Very nice! Looks like it would be great in high temps / humidity. Can you supply a source (to buy one)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe