Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

StoryPNW

One Too Many
I finally received my new Superior Hats panama, unfortunately it seems US customs was less than gentle with the package as it came into the country.
20240910_123918.jpg

The hat is an OR clone of sorts, it has a 2 3/4" brim and a 4 1/4 crown at the crease. It's a little shorter crown than I would have preferred but Andres probably had to sacrifice some crown to give me a little wider brim than they normally make on this hat. He added the brim binding as well. I love the semi-calado weave.
20240912_183158.jpg
20240912_183206.jpg
20240912_183223.jpg
20240912_183753.jpg

Last edited:

VoodooSan

One Too Many
I finally received my new Superior Hats panama, unfortunately it seems US customs was less than gentle with the package as it came into the country.
View attachment 639379
The hat is an OR clone of sorts, it has a 2 3/4" brim and a 4 1/4 crown at the crease. It's a little shorter crown than I would have preferred but Andres probably had to sacrafice some crown to give me a little wider brim than they normally make on this hat. He added the brim binding as well. I love the semi-calado weave.
View attachment 639380 View attachment 639381 View attachment 639382 View attachment 639383
Oh, man, that is just all KINDS of spiff!!!

The Shoe

Call Me a Cab
IMG_20240916_155106653_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg

Stetson Playboy - Medium Brown
Ultra Thin Lightweight Felt
Approx 6 inch open crown - 4 3/4 as shaped
2 1/2 inch brim with single row stitching
7/8 Grosgrain Ribbon
Unlined with diamond shaped vents

A member of one of the Facebook hat groups posted about this Stetson Playboy for sale on Etsy. Try as i might… I could not resist. It looked a bit of a floppy mess.. but I could definitely see the diamond in the rough. And speaking of diamonds…. I combed through thirty three pages (and nearly 20 years of posts) of the Playboys on Parade thread to find one with the diamond vents… finally found one posted by Brent @deadlyhandsome just last year. I did see a couple with the snowflake vents in the roof.. like Eric’s @Short Balding Guy gorgeous Air Light Playboy. This one seems to be of similar vintage to Brent’s.. I would guess Mid 1950s. One interesting note about the vent holes… the placement is somewhat asymmetrical. With the bow side placed almost center while the other side is slightly further back to the rear. I don’t know if that is for a purpose or just how it ended up.

While all the evidence of sweat markings and tags point to a 1950s hat. The felt on this is incredibly thin and lightweight. The kind of felt you might find on a 30s or 40s hat. The hat is unlined…. Though I don’t know for sure if it came that way… a liner would kind of defeat the purpose of the vents. I don’t see any evidence of any type of tip logo… But I don’t think Brent’s hat had one either. Of my three Stetson Playboy hats one black and one blue/grey… this one has the most “playboy” vibe…. Considering its dimensions and super light weight felt. I only gave it a real good brushing…. Some time in the sun…. And an accidental drenching from an instant downpour while it was out there… but it shaped up quite well. It could probably use a bit of steam… however I actually preferred its super soft somewhat zaftig appearance as is… so I think I’ll hold off on that. I do think I prefer it with its brim curled up just a bit.

IMG_6963.jpeg
IMG_6980.jpeg
IMG_20240916_154859048_HDR_Original.jpeg
IMG_20240916_165654565_Original.jpeg
IMG_20240916_165600916_HDR_Original.jpeg
IMG_20240916_171952655_HDR_Original.jpeg
IMG_6982.jpeg
IMG_6981.jpeg
IMG_6991.jpeg

Thundercolt

One of the Regulars
My new favorite summer hat! The JAXON Cuenca Panama Straw Gambler.

This is a “Panama Canal” style hat made in Ecuador. (Panama hats have never been made in Panama). Most Ecuadorian families that weave these hats live in the rural regions of Cuenca and are part of a “weaving family” and have been for many generations. Each genuine Panama hat is handwoven from Paja Toquilla, a natural straw. The finer the weave, the more supple and flexible the hat will be.

The Panama Canal construction workers used Ecuadorian Hats as protection from the harsh sun. The name “Panama Hat” was introduced in 1906, when photos of President Roosevelt were published in the press, while he was overseeing construction of the Panama Canal.

This is not to be confused with the marketing term “Shantung Panama,” which are typically Cowboy style hats that are actually made out of a high-performance paper, which is rolled into a yarn, to imitate straw and then lacquered to hold their shape and make them water resistant.

I personally think of this hat as a “live” hat, because I can mist it with water and renew the natural pliability of the Toquilla straw fibers. I also easily changed the shape of the hat from standard round to extra-long oval. I started by misting the hat inside and out, then placing foam shims under the hat band, on both the front and back, before gently pulling the hat down on my head and wearing it until completely dry. Then I removed the foam shims and now I have a hat that fits perfectly, plus it is extremely light weight and very comfortable to wear all day long.

After wearing stiff, Shantung straw hats for years, I don’t think I will ever find a better summer hat than a genuine Toquilla, Panama hat. I’m aware that there is a whole world of higher quality Paja Toquilla Panama hats out there, but this one comfortably fits my head, and my wallet.

20240916_171203.jpg
1000000696.jpg
20240916_165345.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1