Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Portland Antique Show Find

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I picked up this Dobbs 20 with a Cavanagh edge at the antique show on Saturday. It came with the Dobbs Box, it was in immaculate condition. The felt is pretty heavy weight, I have another Dobbs 20 with a Cav edge and this one is a lot heavier. $45.00 with the box.

I beat Anon to it. Sorry Anon.
IMG20071102_20050101_0001_22-1.jpg

IMG20071102_20050101_0001_23.jpg

fedoralover

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
The Dobbs 20 is a great quality hat, much better than a Stetson Whippet or Stratoliner. But the 2 that I have are a step lower than my Stetson Sovereign 20. How do others compare theirs to their Whippets and Stratoliners? I'm sure that like everything else, they varied over time.

fedoralover

anon`

One Too Many
Stop bragging!

(No sour grapes here, but I probably would've passed on this one anyway--a wee bit snug on me and, honestly, I've fallen very in love with the taller and stingier style that was popular in the '30s. But fedoralover here has the most ridiculous luck in finding hats at this show. It's uncanny, I tell ya!)

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
anon` said:
Stop bragging!

(No sour grapes here, but I probably would've passed on this one anyway--a wee bit snug on me and, honestly, I've fallen very in love with the taller and stingier style that was popular in the '30s. But fedoralover here has the most ridiculous luck in finding hats at this show. It's uncanny, I tell ya!)

Well, I gotta brag just a little, that's half the fun. This one was a touch small on me too, but with my trusty hat stretcher and teapot with some steam billowing out the end I loosened it right up to fit.
I guess I have picked up a few beauties at this show for a fairly good price considering what they are going for on ebay these days. The trick is to get there early and beat the Portland loungers to the gems. LOL

fedoralover

Mario

I'll Lock Up
barrowjh said:
got one also, with a wine ribbon, on the left in this group:
062908009.jpg

One of my finest hats -

That particular hat is another show stopper. Just my kind of color combo. For some reason I have fallen for the lighter colored felts. That maroon colored ribbon goes so well with the (taupe?) body that it makes me swoon... :p :D

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
fedoralover said:
The Dobbs 20 is a great quality hat, much better than a Stetson Whippet or Stratoliner. But the 2 that I have are a step lower than my Stetson Sovereign 20. How do others compare theirs to their Whippets and Stratoliners? I'm sure that like everything else, they varied over time.

fedoralover

Dobbs 20's are among my very favorite vintage lids, both in terms of quality of the felt, as well as the style. Absolute classics...:)

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe