Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama hat weaving issue

LikeableRogue

New in Town
Hi all

Just took delivery of a new Panama. It’s a Monticristi. Classed by the company I got it from as a grade 18 (18 WPI). Overall, I’m was really happy with it (though a little surprised at the initial stiffness - I wasn’t expecting that! ).

However, the reason for the post is I’ve just noticed a ring of gaps on the brim. I’m not sure if I’m being too picky, but I don’t think - even with allowances for hand weaving - that’s right for a £240 hat!

I would appreciate the thoughts of your good selves about whether this would be somewhat expected or not?
IMG_6782.jpeg
IMG_6780.jpeg

Olumin

Familiar Face
Every hand woven panama hat I have seen had those pinholes. Mine certainly do. I believe they are left by pins which fix the hat body in place while is it made. In any case it is not a defect, so dont loose any sleep over it.

LikeableRogue

New in Town
Thanks @Olumin for the reply and picture!! That does put my mind at rest… I was pretty sure I was being overly picky, but as this is my first fine weave Panama I wasn’t quite sure what to expect! It seems to just be a bit more pronounced on the finer weaves…

Beautiful hat too!

shopkin

Familiar Face
From reading, I suspect the pin holes are made in the finishing/bashing phase and they have nothing to do with the weaving process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HvdB