Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Maxim, a women’s hat maker in Japan, provides little stretchy cords with their hats that attach between the stitches of the sweat band. You then arrange it under your hair to hold the hat on.
View attachment 622269 View attachment 622270
That is much like what I have made. Thin round leather, a bead and then attached through the leather sweat like a stampede string. Small enough that it won't be felt when inside the crown.

The Shoe

One Too Many
That is much like what I have made. Thin round leather, a bead and then attached through the leather sweat like a stampede string. Small enough that it won't be felt when inside the crown.
Does it go under the hair, or under the chin?
This one is not visible when she’s wearing the hat.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Not sure what under the hair would look like and how it would prevent a gust of wind from sweeping the hat away. . Mine would go under the chin like a stampede string.
Behind the neck. Etsuko’s (long) hair goes through the loop. I edited my previous post after you’d already seen it to say “Etsuko says she can’t feel it when wearing the hat. A good option for those with mid-long length hair.”

Behind the neck. Etsuko’s (long) hair goes through the loop. I edited my previous post after you’d already seen it to say “Etsuko says she can’t feel it when wearing the hat. A good option for those with mid-long length hair.”
I could see gust of wind from the front lifting the hat off the head and away from the hair unless it was pinned by a barrette of some sort.

The Shoe

One Too Many
I could see gust of wind from the front lifting the hat off the head and away from the hair unless it was pinned by a barrette of some sort.
Just got home from work and asked Etsuko about it. She thinks that with her long hair, it wouldn’t blow right away - her hair would stop it to an extent, It’s never actually happened to her, though.

A vintage Ecuadorian toquilla straw Panama by Pedigree Hats.

IMG_0570.jpeg

IMG_0569.jpeg

IMG_0568.jpeg

IMG_0567.jpeg

Don’t know how the weave count would stand up to the modern fino - super fino weave count. I once made a square inch mask for counting weave but I can’t find it this morning. But this is a very fine weave.

IMG_0566.jpeg

IMG_0565.jpeg

IMG_0557.jpeg

It has a very nice perforated sweat.

IMG_0563.jpeg

IMG_0562.jpeg

Shark’s Men’s Store opened in Bismarck, ND in 1937 & closed the final time in 1973.

IMG_0556.jpeg

Just got home from work and asked Etsuko about it. She thinks that with her long hair, it wouldn’t blow right away - her hair would stop it to an extent, It’s never actually happened to her, though.
My client has a 'fear'....perhaps exaggerated but I have to come up with something that will fully allay her fears so she can relax, wear the hat and enjoy it rather than fearing its sudden loss. Sometimes I am called upon to be more than a hat maker......a hat counsellor perhaps?

shopkin

Familiar Face

View attachment 622354
View attachment 622355
View attachment 622356
View attachment 622357

Don’t know how the weave count would stand up to the modern fino - super fino weave count. I once made a square inch mask for counting weave but I can’t find it this morning. But this is a very fine weave.

View attachment 622358
View attachment 622359
View attachment 622362

View attachment 622360
View attachment 622361
Shark’s Men’s Store opened in Bismarck, ND in 1937 & closed the final time in 1973.

View attachment 622363
Wow! That's a very intricate and beautiful weave too with the alternating horizontal and diagonal.

Mighty44

One Too Many

View attachment 622354
View attachment 622355
View attachment 622356
View attachment 622357

View attachment 622358
View attachment 622359
View attachment 622362

View attachment 622360
View attachment 622361

View attachment 622363
That is a beauty!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth