Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Shop?

orange fury

New in Town
Hi all, new here to FL.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the online store www.panamahatshop.com. A couple days ago I ordered the hat in the link below, then saw all the positive feedback for Panama Bob and was wondering if I may have overpaid or if it was a fair deal. According to the site, its a 357 wpsi llano weave montecristi, but I guess that'll remain to be seen when the hat actually comes in.

Thanks in advance for any help.

http://www.panamahatshop.com/en/mfn1.htm

SgtRick

One of the Regulars
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good people here to offer different opinions and guidence. I have not ordered anything from PB's although he seems to have an excellent rep here. Enjoy the forum.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Hi all, new here to FL.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the online store www.panamahatshop.com. A couple days ago I ordered the hat in the link below, then saw all the positive feedback for Panama Bob and was wondering if I may have overpaid or if it was a fair deal. According to the site, its a 357 wpsi llano weave montecristi, but I guess that'll remain to be seen when the hat actually comes in.

Thanks in advance for any help.

http://www.panamahatshop.com/en/mfn1.htm

A Llano weave is SIMILAR to the weave of a Montecristi but I have never seen it used to describe a Montecristi. It is usually used to describe the BETTER grade of Cuenca woven hats and from the color shown ( a bright white) I would strongly believe it is such and NOT a Montecristi. Most Cuenca's are bleached to produce the white color and the Montecristi's are left in the more natural color and treated with sulphur. It looks to be a nice hat but I would feel sure it is NOT a Montecristi.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I don't see any good reason to worry about your purchase now. Just wait until you have the hat in hand to see how you like it. Maybe it will be just what you want, maybe it won't. If you are happy with it, great. If you are not happy with it, supplement your observations with a little research and try again.

And welcome to the Lounge!

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
The downturned brim does not get a lot of following here, but post the pics and let`s see the quality. Bet it won`t be your last order, and bet PanamaBob may be your second...enjoy

orange fury

New in Town
The hat just came in this morning. Here are the pictures:

IMG00570-20110614-1821.jpg

IMG00571-20110614-1822.jpg

IMG00574-20110614-1823.jpg

IMG00576-20110614-1827.jpg

It was described as a montecristi on the website, it appears to be a more natural color than a bleached white and it definitely smells of sulfur, but I wasn't sure how to count the WPSI (and I cant seem to find anything truly definitive on here or the internet in general). Also, I counted 6 vueltas.

All in all it doesn't seem to be a bad hat, it'll work perfect for my intention of using it while smoking cigars ;). I can see myself getting a higher quality one down the road though.

Duper

Practically Family
Nice looking hat. If you are like the rest of us you may be purchasing many more, some good, some not so good and some just perfect. Talk to Panama Bob when the time comes.

Now take it outside for a nice walk around the block and enjoy your cigar.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Counting the weaves next to your tape measure, I get a maximum of 16 within the inch. If you measure perpendicular to that, it looks like maybe a few less than that. Even at 16 by 16, though, it would be 256 per square inch.

Numbers aside, it's a nice hat for shortening cigars. :)

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Counting the weaves next to your tape measure, I get a maximum of 16 within the inch. If you measure perpendicular to that, it looks like maybe a few less than that. Even at 16 by 16, though, it would be 256 per square inch.

I don't think that your count is correct. In my opinion, his hat is closer to 100 wpsi.

orange fury

New in Town
If it is in the 100 range, would yall say I should contact them for a replacement? The description of the one I ordered said it averaged 357 wpsi, so I can live with +/-100 variance, but a -200 difference seems like a lot if that's the case. I don't mean to ask so many questions, and I do like the hat, but I just wanted to make sure that I got my money's worth.

Tommy

One of the Regulars
I am not so much into weave count and such, but I do have a couple of Bob's discounted hat specials, and am very pleased with them.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
If it is in the 100 range, would yall say I should contact them for a replacement? The description of the one I ordered said it averaged 357 wpsi, so I can live with +/-100 variance, but a -200 difference seems like a lot if that's the case. I don't mean to ask so many questions, and I do like the hat, but I just wanted to make sure that I got my money's worth.

I counted 16x12 which would give a weave per inch count of 192 which is NOT near 357 WPI as was stated. As to whether to keep it is up to you. It is a nice looking and seems to be well finished and blocked hat. I feel sure you would have paid less for a compareable Monti from Robert but that is MHO :)

orange fury

New in Town
Decided to go ahead and keep it, it would be way too much hassle to send it back to ecuador with postage and everything. Besides, it seems high quality enough that I don't feel like I got ripped off or anything

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Good. The important thing is that it meets your needs, that you like it, and that you are comfortable with the price. Enjoy your new hat.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Weave count is not the most important thing. You've started the process of learning about hats. I purchased my first panama hat in 1981 and at today's prices, at the same store, the hat is about $450. A similar hat today at Panama Bob's is less than $200. I wish I hadn't overpaid, but I've enjoyed that hat for thirty years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82