Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

carter

I'll Lock Up
323 Acres for sale in Ohio

M Tatterscratch said:
Ladies and Gents,

Well, we missed our chance - one of them, anyway. The town of Albert, Texas sold on Ebay two days ago for around $3 million. It's around 12.5 acres, includes an ice house, general store, and an 85 year old dancehall. No inhabitants, so we could move right in. Rats!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7110528.stm

http://cgi.ebay.com/Historic-Texas-...ryZ15841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It may be an absurd question, but how many of you brave souls would TRULY do such a thing - that is, spend your money on, then pack up and move off to some little ghost town, and try and turn it into something?

I can't think how we'd make money, other than to become a tourist attraction, with hissing busses and polite Japanese people taking our photographs, a vintage hotel with WiFi and Miss Maudie's Pie Shoppe and so on, or to rent ourselves out to moving pictures, but that might be the trade-off, and a dicey one at that, unless there's a secret millionaire among us. Factor in that we probably wouldn't get prime real estate - most likely something in the boondocks, and Texas heat or Montana cold, and you have a pioneer scenario on your hands.

For myself, I'd sell my place in Virginia and throw it over for a chance at a different life, even though my life is really good at present. Sometimes you just have to burn it down and see what grows in its place. Unfortunately, I'm no businessman, not good with money, and have only the most rudimentary notion of how finance and town planning work. I am a crackerjack adman, though, and with a good planner and media buyer I could promote the place. Sadly, the hard work is the in-between...

Anyhoo, this just shows it would be possible, if we were really hardcore enough.

T.

Pretty small acreage T. For the same money, this is still available on OFAS. It is located near Akron-Canton-New Philadelphia in Ohio. I spent two summers in New Philadelphia and it is beautiful country.

323 Acre Country Estate - Real Estate Pike Township, OH

Of course, this would necessitate building a community from the ground up. Could be fun. :D

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
This is why I like the idea of an old rust belt town that's down on its luck. You already have a full set of vintage structures, plus the remains of what might once have been a viable industry.
If only there could be a shred of real reality to this notion! We veer from one impossibility to another! Sigh. . .

fourstarbanner

One of the Regulars
M Tatterscratch-at this time in my life, I have nothing holding me back. I would pick up and move to that vintage town in a second!

Maybe we would have to rely on tourism, but We could make that work! Keep everything authentic-nothing modern. People would want to come visit to get back to the way things were. Our favorite time period is once again popular.

I say go for it!

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
carter said:
Pretty small acreage T. For the same money, this is still available on OFAS. It is located near Akron-Canton-New Philadelphia in Ohio. I spent two summers in New Philadelphia and it is beautiful country.

323 Acre Country Estate - Real Estate Pike Township, OH

Of course, this would necessitate building a community from the ground up. Could be fun. :D

Ah, but you are a smart shopper, Carter! As it turns out, the lovely and intrepid Ms. Fourstarbanner will be glad to join us, so we mustn't disappoint.

T.

carter

I'll Lock Up
All things come to those who....Wait!

HadleyH said:
...and no orchards then....:(

Don't be too disconsolate. While lemons and oranges may not fare too well, apples and cherries may be just fine. Grapes as well.

Of course, there could always be a rather large greenhouse.
:)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
Don't be too disconsolate. While lemons and oranges may not fare too well, apples and cherries may be just fine. Grapes as well.

Of course, there could always be a rather large greenhouse.
:)

CHERRIES! yummy!
OK! that's a deal! :D I adore cherries!!!!!!!
On with the proyect then! :eusa_clap

carter

I'll Lock Up
Proyject

HadleyH said:
CHERRIES! yummy!
OK! that's a deal! :D I adore cherries!!!!!!!
On with the proyect then! :eusa_clap

Of course there must be puppies and kittens frolicing in the orchards. :)

Hadley, you must take charge of our music.
:D

Another thought is that we are talking a vintage town here. Snow ice and lousy inclimate weather plays havoc with old vehicles, machinery and most things vintage. To preserve that which we love, it takes a dry arid climate--not a Rust Belt climate. There's a reason why those cities are vacant---the people moved because it stunk to live there. :p ;)
Gated community maybe. Open to tourists---on a limited basis. The focus is making the town independent by providing services/goods to the world that are unique and needed for restorations, examples and the like.
We also need orchards and rust belt cities are not good for citrus that is for sure. ;)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
There are orchards that aren't citrus. Apples are your friend!

Anyhow, I dunno why I'm objecting to the sunbelt town, because the boyfriend informs me that snow is a scary and alien concept and ice belongs in drinks. lol

Viola said:
There are orchards that aren't citrus. Apples are your friend!

Anyhow, I dunno why I'm objecting to the sunbelt town, because the boyfriend informs me that snow is a scary and alien concept and ice belongs in drinks. lol

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
The man is obviously quite intelligent. Good choice. ;)
Apples are your friend but all that moisture makes sure that powdery mildew is also their friend.:eek: :eusa_doh:

carter

I'll Lock Up
House To Go!

M Tatterscratch said:
Carter,
That house has to go, don't you think? I wouldn't live in it for fear that someone would see me walking out of it.
T.

T.,

I don't know. It has a certain Motel 6 charm about it. Hmmm....
OF COURSE... the House has to GO!
(Why didn't I think of that?) :eusa_doh:

It appears that there may need to be a VT North and a VT South. While this dilutes the community, it does allow those who desire different climates and landscapes to have a choice of location.

Now...about that financing. Hmmm....

Grants? Small Business Loans? .....

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
Of course there must be puppies and kittens frolicing in the orchards. :)

Hadley, you must take charge of our music.
:D

On with the proyect . Did I say that? :eek:
hmmmmm...
i don't know if i want to play this game any more.
bye-bye

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Wow there looks like there's been an agricultural boom in this thread. I wanted to be a farmer from the jump and now it looks like I have lots of company.

Sign me up for one of those orchards but I still want some chickens and rabbits and some bees for honey.

I would do it in real life. Well, I would buy into this community in real life, I can't garden, much less farm, until I'm done with the Navy. But it sure would be nice to come home to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld