Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Other safari hats

One of the Regulars
They can be hard to find ready made. I settled for a Stetson Dune and a puggaree band from Lawrence Ordnance. Other possibilites are an Akubra Slouch or Coober Pedy. You can get the Coober Pedy from David Morgan with a ribbon band, which would make it easier to put a puggaree on.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
hatflick1 said:
I was always partial to this hat. It says safari but can also be worn in town.
Great Akubra quality.
http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=17&ccode=1170&cat_id=2
I keep looking at that style as something that can be worn with shorts. Anything with a snap brim or turned up brim just seems to formal, whereas I think that style is just casual enough to pull off in shorts. Provided they're not patchwork madras shorts or something, I suppose...

Rooster

Practically Family
I prefer the Akubra slouch hat or "Digger" for my safaris into the chicken yard and elsewhere.
MikeFriends.jpg

Havana

One of the Regulars
The Akubra Slouch is a winner for sure. I'm a big fan of the Akubra Cattleman. It's good hat for hot and or humid weather.
actionshots685.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Rooster, great hat! That's what I'm trying to do with mine, but without much success. My older one is a thick wool/fur blend that has a mind of it's wn, and my newer one I stretched from a 53 to a 56. So far it hasn't really worked out... How 'bout a few side shots? I'd like to see the profile on that, too.

Nice KD tunic, too, BTW!

Havana, that's a classic, shot, too, with a sharp hat. Where is that?

Havana

One of the Regulars
It's Casablanca in June. 117 degrees. I'm guessing that you know what that feels like since your name's Mojave Jack. A wide brim hat is a lifesaver in such conditions. I really like the Cattleman as a field hat because it's unlined and ventilated.

Rooster

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
Rooster, great hat! That's what I'm trying to do with mine, but without much success. My older one is a thick wool/fur blend that has a mind of it's wn, and my newer one I stretched from a 53 to a 56. So far it hasn't really worked out... How 'bout a few side shots? I'd like to see the profile on that, too.

Nice KD tunic, too, BTW!

Havana, that's a classic, shot, too, with a sharp hat. Where is that?
Hey thanks. This is an older hat from Akubra made for Eddie Bauer of all things..... I got it on Ebay and it was misrepresented as a 59 but was actually a 58. The sweet band had a two rips in it too.. So I figure what's to lose and dunked it in a bucket of water and put the ol' stretcher in it and cranked that thing till the hat screamed! I set the fedora styled bash at that time too. I ended up with a hat that fits perfectly and added a couple more tears in the sweat band too. The tears make no difference to the wear ability. It's one of my favorite knocking around the farm hats. My wife has been taking alot of photos for here digital photo class lately, I'll see if I can stumble into a few shots for a side view.
The KD tunic is a What Price Glory bush jacket. I love that thing! Very well made and wears like iron. Just don't put any of that WPG stuff through the dryer.:(

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Rooster said:
So I figure what's to lose and dunked it in a bucket of water and put the ol' stretcher in it and cranked that thing till the hat screamed! I set the fedora styled bash at that time too. I ended up with a hat that fits perfectly and added a couple more tears in the sweat band too. The tears make no difference to the wear ability.

Rooster, I was surprised to also discover that a torn sweatband is something you can't even feel, when wearing a hat. (Maybe if it were on the forhead, but mine have all been on the sides.) I'm just careful not to let any would-be critics take a peak inside the hat. That way I'm happy and others are still impressed. :)

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Rooster, that's the best kind of hat; no worries about what happens to it, but looks sharp as hell. I've eyed a few of those Eddie Bauer-Akubras but never happened to pick one up. I may have to watch a little closer...

Casbalanca, Havana?! That's awesome! Do you have a thread on that in the Steamer Trunk? I'd love to hear and see some more about that trip.

Rooster

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
Rooster, that's the best kind of hat; no worries about what happens to it, but looks sharp as hell. I've eyed a few of those Eddie Bauer-Akubras but never happened to pick one up. I may have to watch a little closer...
Well the inevitable happened a couple nights ago when I ducked under a roost. Yep you guessed it , BOMBS AWAY! Big blob of chicken shitzen right on the ol' Digger brim!lol Nothing a good rinse under the faucet couldn't take care of. I don't think there's much you could do to one of these to actually ruin it.

Havana

One of the Regulars
I forgot to mention the Akubra Coober Pedy. This model just screams classic safari to me. Add a pugaree and you'll nail that great white hunter look.
The various retailers offer some great color choices too.
http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=88
http://www.hatsdirect.com/cgi/products.cgi?view=10&returncat=Akubra+Hats&returnpage=0
The Coolabah is also worth a look and even comes with a mas macho crocodile band.
http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=8&ccode=1080&cat_id=2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe