Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OT - Minimum acceptable western hat brim?

Naphtali

Practically Family
This is off topic, a query about western hats. Is a uniform three-inch brim too short for a western hat with Montana Peak crown to be esthetically pleasing to see worn?

I'd have to see it before I'd offer an opinion.

There are general guidelines for this sort of thing, but very few (if any) hard-and-fast rules. If people didn't violate convention ... well, I can't even imagine that. It just wouldn't happen. Changing things, for better or for worse or for neither, is what people do.

I tend to think of brims wider than three inches as getting into cowboy territory. But, there are distinctly Western-flavored lids with narrower brims -- half an inch narrower or more, even. And decidedly "urbane" hats have been known to sport brims of more than three inches.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Most working hands wear a hat with a 4" brim.

That's what I wear. Any wider (and I have a wider one) and I feel over hatted. Any less, and I don't feel that I have enough. Having said that, in years past, there were some popular hats with shorter brims.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
When you said Montana Peak, did you mean this?

P1050612.jpg

Or this?

P1040866.jpg

I'm guessing you meant the second one. Mine, in the above photo, has a 4" brim. NOT ANYMORE! It is now 2 3/4" on the sides, and 2 7/8" in front.

P1060344.jpg

I expect to get a lot more use out of it, now.

P1060342.jpg

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Depends. Most folks today would consider an Open Road a western hat (the gentlemen's version)...and we know from reports here over the past couple of years that ORs sometimes had brims as narrow as 2.5". Of course, the crown was in proportion...not a Montana Peak. With that crown, I'd venture a guess that a brim under 3" would look disproportionate.:rolleyes:

Naphtali

Practically Family
J.T.Marcus said:

P1050612.jpg

Or this?

P1060344.jpg
I refer to the top crown, but with panels more sharply defined and crown's peak more pointed. Your graphic appears to be a differently colored campaign hat.

Your shortened brim does not appear to be configured in the [modified] tricorn of Western hats with which I'm familiar. Yours appears to be similar to Akubra wide brim shapes.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Naphtali said:
I refer to the top crown, but with panels more sharply defined and crown's peak more pointed. Your graphic appears to be a differently colored campaign hat.

Your shortened brim does not appear to be configured in the [modified] tricorn of Western hats with which I'm familiar. Yours appears to be similar to Akubra wide brim shapes.

My top picture is a current Stratton model. It is a shade of green, which only they seem to offer. The uniform campain hats (Army, Marines, Boy Scouts, Law Enforcement, Park Service...) all seem to have brims right at 3".

My second hat, now has what is currently called a "GUS" crown (but others have called it a "Montana Peak"), with a "snap brim", shown up in back and snapped down in front. (Think Akubra Federation, or other Fedora, with a Gus crease.)

Erik

One of the Regulars
"This is off topic, a query about western hats. Is a uniform three-inch brim too short for a western hat with Montana Peak crown to be esthetically pleasing to see worn?"

To my eye, yes. I live in an area where western hats are common place. I cannot think of the last sub-3.5 inch brim I've seen on a western styled hat. The sole exception being the occasional cattleman's bash Open Road, and then only on an elderly gentleman's head.

Naphtali

Practically Family
Erik said:
"This is off topic, a query about western hats. Is a uniform three-inch brim too short for a western hat with Montana Peak crown to be esthetically pleasing to see worn?"

To my eye, yes. I live in an area where western hats are common place. I cannot think of the last sub-3.5 inch brim I've seen on a western styled hat. The sole exception being the occasional cattleman's bash Open Road, and then only on an elderly gentleman's head.
I live 75 miles north-northeast of Missoula. I hear you. I have a ancient Stetson western hat that has a 2.75-inch brim. Originally, it had a very short crown height. I bashed it into the shape Walter Brennan wore in "Rio Bravo." The hat is no longer wearable -- falling apart with age and use.

My query is directed less toward what is conventional or the norm for society. Rather, what is the smallest brim western hat that doesn't look bizarre with Montana crown. My old Stetson that originally belonged to the father of a friend of mine did not have a Montana crown originally or when I altered the bash.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I think the answer to this unique to you and your face. Some wide faced persons may look less than cowboy with anythingunder 4inch and may look most ideal with a 4 1/2 inch or even more. A slim person wearing indentifiable western crown shape with a 3 inch brim may look to be completely in his element.

An example of brim not proportioned to the style is a very wide brimmed fedora worn with a zoot suit. Looks exaggerated but in this case, on purpose.

J.T.Marcus said:

P1050612.jpg

Or this?

P1040866.jpg

I'm guessing you meant the second one. Mine, in the above photo, has a 4" brim. NOT ANYMORE! It is now 2 3/4" on the sides, and 2 7/8" in front.

P1060344.jpg

I expect to get a lot more use out of it, now.

P1060342.jpg

I think this type of crown / pinch combination is more like what is refered to as "Gus" and is akin to one of the serial Western Hero's hats I believe TOM MIX! Anyway where the Montana Peak is more the Drill Instructor & WWI campaign hat the green one on top. The Mountie hat is similar but has a dimple forward instead of a pinch.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
pretty short brims on these, all under 3"
IMG_9571.jpg

This one ended up popping into its original shallow montana crease after a gentle steaming.
IMG_9649.jpg

IMG_9654.jpg
100/dinerman2/IMG_9656.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Naphtali

Practically Family
suitedcboy said:
I think the answer to this unique to you and your face. Some wide faced persons may look less than cowboy with anythingunder 4inch and may look most ideal with a 4 1/2 inch or even more. A slim person wearing indentifiable western crown shape with a 3 inch brim may look to be completely in his element.

An example of brim not proportioned to the style is a very wide brimmed fedora worn with a zoot suit. Looks exaggerated but in this case, on purpose.
AHA! 68.5 inches and 140 pounds, marked down from six feet and 162 beautifully assembled pounds.

Erik

One of the Regulars
"Rather, what is the smallest brim western hat that doesn't look bizarre with Montana crown."

I see more brims over 4 inches than under with the type of bash that you're referring to, that said 3.5 inches.

carter

I'll Lock Up
This Kuppenheimer ad from the 1920's or earlier shows a Montana Peak on a fashionable hat. Probably a brim 3" or less in width and a 5" crown.
2092846274_038cacf455.jpg
2092846208_bab0951dee.jpg

This Open Road has an Oreanna crease. Not a Montana Peak but you get the idea. 3' brim and a 5" crown. I think this would work fine witha 4" brim as long as the crown isn't too tall. It's about proportions.
2054134706_efe6d94f87.jpg
2054133494_44eb739cd2.jpg
2054133252_a6f957a37e.jpg

This 15X Buckskin Resistol has a 4" brim and a 7 1/2" crown. I think it would look great on someone who is 6' or taller. On me, I think it looks like I'm wearing my dad's hat.
1818507771_7753a0cba8.jpg
1819345262_ca11a046d2.jpg
1818511619_a903058114.jpg

Old Timer
360777670_f6c656ef48.jpg

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Erik said:

I live in the cowboy hat region also, and wear one frequently myself, as that's part of my livelihood. A 3" brim here would be very rare, but it's not entirely uncommon. I see a few Open Roads in use, and by those who are not elderly, and have even seen a few with interesting, non Cattleman's, bashes.

Having said that, 4" is by far the most common brim size. Less or more is rare.

Justdog

Practically Family
Cowboy

tonyb said:
I'd have to see it before I'd offer an opinion.

There are general guidelines for this sort of thing, but very few (if any) hard-and-fast rules. If people didn't violate convention ... well, I can't even imagine that. It just wouldn't happen. Changing things, for better or for worse or for neither, is what people do.

I tend to think of brims wider than three inches as getting into cowboy territory. But, there are distinctly Western-flavored lids with narrower brims -- half an inch narrower or more, even. And decidedly "urbane" hats have been known to sport brims of more than three inches.

Be interested to here your definition of a cowboy hat.
Actually been getting used to the Stet 100 and it having just that bit extra maybe 1/8 Brim than my ORS is real well fitting. It seems to silhouette my face better than the slightly smaller OR. Would not really want it too much bigger unless you went real western, whatever that is

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jbain75