Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo Cowboy Conversion

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As this was not a DIY project I felt it was less than worthy to include in the “conversion corral” thread.
Prior to my post-graduate education in all things hats here at the FL, I purchased a Stetson 25 sold to me as an Open Road.
I was quite P.O.’d when I finally realized that it was not an O.R. but a C.B. hat. I mulled over my options & then had a brainstorm….I contacted Mr. Graham at OPTIMO HATS in Chi-town and asked him if he could turn this:
Stetson_25_B4.jpg

Into “The Mitchum” model fedora they offer in their bespoke hats. When he replied in the affirmative I packed that sucker up along with two others in need of refurbishment & off they flew to Chicago. And here are the results:
optimo25threequarters.jpg

optimo25sidetop.jpg

optimo25fr2.jpg

optimo25front.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

I teardropped the crown to an extreme & couldn’t be happier with the results. A C-note for the conversion turned a beater I'd rarely wear to a "steppin' out" hat that I wear rarely :D (cuz' I don't "step out" much any more).

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Rick -- that is just amazing! Good for you! I have long admired the Mitchum as one of Optimo's best looking lids, and the transformation from your "C.B." to a Mitchum is really incredible. Very sharp looking lid, my friend. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Rick -- do you mind sharing the specs on that lid? Width of brim? Height of crown? Width of ribbon?

Cheers,
JtL

fatwoul

Practically Family
Very, very nice, Rick. As deany the genie (sorry dg lol) already said, it would be a more-than-worthy contribution to the corral, but regardless where it appears, I am very glad to have seen it.

I think you need a certain extra confidence to wear a paler felt; a confidence I don't yet have. :eek:

Duck

Practically Family
Fantastic looking lid, Rick!!! Love that bash!!!!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

indycop

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:
Very, very nice, Rick. As deany the genie (sorry dg lol) already said, it would be a more-than-worthy contribution to the corral, but regardless where it appears, I am very glad to have seen it.

I think you need a certain extra confidence to wear a paler felt; a confidence I don't yet have. :eek:
You just like the dark side!!lol

ideaguy

One Too Many
just did a conversion a couple of weeks ago-didn't look anything
like what you got back...think Graham did something wrong, or uh,
maybe I did something wrong, but WOW wotta hat!!:eusa_clap

Akubra Guy

New in Town
Thats a BEAUTIFUL conversion. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I want one like that and I have several vintage CBH's that could be used. How much $$ so I can budget!

Jerry

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the positive feedback gents & please forgive my lateness of my response(s), that darn real life keeps rearing its' ugly head.
jimmy the lid said:
Rick -- do you mind sharing the specs on that lid? Width of brim? Height of crown? Width of ribbon?

Cheers,
JtL
I will measure out the specs when I get home so I can be exact. (& attempt a self-portrait, still not my forte', I am afraid)
Frankly in retrospect I am a bit surprised that Optimo consented to the conversion. It was probably less than tactful of me to request a design similar to one of their signature lids... :eusa_doh:
but they are nothing if not gracious & customer oriented. Really a super shop.

Akubra Guy said:
Thats a BEAUTIFUL conversion. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I want one like that and I have several vintage CBH's that could be used. How much $$ so I can budget!

Jerry

The top o' the line refurb, tearing down the hat to its constituent parts & reblocking/rebuilding was runnin' right at a hundred bucks...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust