Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Joe

mdmarz

New in Town
Just curious about opinions on Old Joe brand. Purchased the Old Joe Jean jacket in washed horse leather. Cool look but runs really big; usually a 40 and sized down to a 36. Anybody have any experience with this brand. Price point high for distressed looking dress pants.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Looks like the intended oversized fit. So they would use a bigger sized torso with wider shoulder and shorten the sleeves to achieve the same overall sleeve length of the tag size. If you size down to fit the torso then the sleeves might become too short. These relaxed fit are meant to have the shoulder droop over an inch or so if that's the fit you're after. I believe the new Old Joe jackets are contract made by a brand who shall not be named with their workshop just outside of Tokyo area.

newtojackets

Practically Family
Looks like the intended oversized fit. So they would use a bigger sized torso with wider shoulder and shorten the sleeves to achieve the same overall sleeve length of the tag size. If you size down to fit the torso then the sleeves might become too short. These relaxed fit are meant to have the shoulder droop over an inch or so if that's the fit you're after. I believe the new Old Joe jackets are contract made by a brand who shall not be named with their workshop just outside of Tokyo area.
As in you don’t want to name the brand or old Joe don’t name the brand?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
As in you don’t want to name the brand or old Joe don’t name the brand?
I don't know for sure but I have my theories. Tokyo locals can call and find out. The jackets Old Joe got on the website looks like they came from the shops that does the 1,2,3,4 sizing or S/M/L/XL instead of the 36/38/40/42 sizing. I have/had a couple jackets like this. If you downsize to fit the torso the sleeve will be super short, on the size 3 or the L size the sleeve was just over 23", despite the spec says longer, they measure along the curve, but the shoulder is over 19" and P2P is 22", and this torso size is usually size 42/44 or XL in Japanese sizing. Also most retailers don't even carry size 4 or the XL size. The M or the size 2 will have the Japanese size 42 (or even bigger) equivelant in the torso, but shortened sleeve and are designed to fit Japanese size 38. Relaxed / droop over the shoulder fits.
Also there seems to be more than one shop in this supply chain. And when I say shop it's more like one person with a machine. A lot of these addresses are just residential addresses, not actual factory. Someone local can do more research. The small white tag always says a lot. If it is still intact, like this one,
IMG_1511.JPG

IMG_1512.JPG

BTW I don't think the oversized trend works well for leather. The fad will goes away in a few years or less, but the jacket is too expensive for it to be just a trendy one. It's better to invest in a regular fit version that will last longer. But a lot of these hype brands customers can actually make some money before the music stops and they find a chair before the next person. Brands like Tenderloin, Subcultures...etc. falls in this category imo,
1721753101327.jpeg

1721753115718.jpeg

mdmarz

New in Town
I totally agree with you , the fit is weird , I took a punt on this one after talking with Mack at Brogue (shout out, cool guy, beautiful store)
Even the Japanese model pics have a diverse looking fit on the website. Was intrigued by the horsehide leather treatment; jacket smells great though! This was my first foray into the pre distressed leather jacket realm, was afraid it was going to have that equivalent look of 80’s acid washed jeans/ Eddie Murphy RAW comedy special. The rest of Old Joe clothes do look a little too predistressed though (tears and rips and patching) But nothing ventured nothing gained. Will posr some pics.
Still have some old faithfuls to wear ( Freewheelers Bodie, Flathead, Double Helix)
As an aside what is the Forums take on Mushmans collaboration with Rainbow Country; the Seal Brown windward looks quite nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads