Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Observations on DIY hat cleaning.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have used white gas, in a bucket, on over a dozen occasions with results ranging from tragic --------------->
6132_1.jpg
=
sm-3.jpg

from this----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- to this!

Adamlongroyal1.jpg

to tip-top!

I have used denatured alcohol (@ $20 a gallon) when I needed to reduce stiffener &/or clean, both to mixed results (- i.e.- often no or very) little notable reduction of rigidity once felt dries & only mediocre cleaning results.
I've obtained much better cleaning results with the white gas/coleman fuel at only $10-$12 a gallon- BUT...

...compared with my recent successes with Scout/Bickmore hat cleaner, I am thinking of giving up the bucket.

The results seem more predictable, & the cost, ordered from Amazon can be as little as $9 per can, including delivery. And I can usually get two hats clean as a whistle, vs. a single hat, cleaned in white gas for $12. Besides that, with the spray I don't have to cram it into a bucket & re-form the results.
It also seems to further "cut" the stiffener when used in concert with a denatured alcohol soak.
Simply anecdotal info, your mileage may differ. [huh]

Anyone have similar or contrary results? Any better idea to clean or to reduce stiffeners? (I know- stay away from little blue pills! -lol!)

If I need reconstructive work (e.g. - new sweat) I'd just assume send it to the pros (Buckaroo, Optimo, Clean-a-hat) but I'd like to be able to do a simple cleaning myself.

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I have not yet used the spray from Scout/Bickmore, however, I have not yet attempted to drown any of my hats yet, either. So far none of them have had that need of cleaning (well one did but I sold it). I can tell you the plastic jar of dry Bickmore hat cleaner does nothing for a hat. Waste of money. It will only "ball up" and rolls right off the hat felt, has no cleaning effect at all. A hat sponge and time (a lot of time using a hat sponge) has done more for my hats than any "product".

So you use the spray...and it worked for you. Can you share what you do with the spray? Any clothe needed to wipe the hat felt, brushes, etc., after application of the spray? I ask as I used some K2R cleaner on one hat, made spots and circles on the felt that I never did get all the way back out, looked worse than before using it, and made for many hours of using a hat sponge and rubbing the felt lightly with a damp clothe to remove the residue of the K2R.

Thanks!!!!

Rick Blaine

I have not yet used the spray from Scout/Bickmore, however, I have not yet attempted to drown any of my hats yet, either. So far none of them have had that need of cleaning (well one did but I sold it). I can tell you the plastic jar of dry Bickmore hat cleaner does nothing for a hat. Waste of money. It will only "ball up" and rolls right off the hat felt, has no cleaning effect at all. A hat sponge and time (a lot of time using a hat sponge) has done more for my hats than any "product".

So you use the spray...and it worked for you. Can you share what you do with the spray? Any clothe needed to wipe the hat felt, brushes, etc., after application of the spray? I ask as I used some K2R cleaner on one hat, made spots and circles on the felt that I never did get all the way back out, looked worse than before using it, and made for many hours of using a hat sponge and rubbing the felt lightly with a damp clothe to remove the residue of the K2R.

Thanks!!!!

I find that uniformity of aerosol spray application seems essential. Both in distance & coverage.
I have had better outcomes using something slightly stiffer than the horse hair brim brush sold for hats to remove the residue, though it will work, it seems to require more elbow grease.
Use of the spray seems to often result a bit of mottling on the felt, an initially uniform distribution of the spray, a 30+ minute cure & a vigorous brushing will, in my experience, mitigate this to a great degree. Last suggestion- do not be stingy. Use it up.

My .o2.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Rick, Ive had great success with Coleman gas on 2 vintage hats but the spray sounds a lot more convenient. Obviously would hate to end up with your Champ result though. Also the gas didn't do much for stains on ribbon, how does the Scout/Bickmore do on grosgrain ribbon?

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
You need a wider bucket. I have used one of those low plastic 5 gallon pails grocery stores get cole slaw in. I put the hat in the bucket (without the cole slaw) poured some white gas over it, and sealed the lid. It is not necessary to completely fill the bucket, 1/2" to 1" is enough. Slosh it around so the hat is soaked and let it sit for a while, slosh it around once in a while. Then take the hat out and let it dry.

I have only done this on 2 hats but never had a disaster. It is ok to save the gas and use it more than once if it is not too dirty.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I am sure the gas procedure works, as there have been many here that have had good luck doing it. Just for me, I am a bit "conservative" when it comes to doing things to any of my hats. I guess when I see the words, "camp stove gas", I always then think of the words, "Bar-B-Q".....

The Spray is something I will keep in mind. Thanks Rick!

TomS

One Too Many
I've had success with the gas method. My only *negative* observation is it's hard on leather sweats.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Use the cleaner for the stain;
SCOUT- The Scout cleaner (both dark and light cleaners) caution that they may not work on oil based stains. Additionally they suggest using the spray and "immediately" using a sponge or brush on the area sprayed. Do small areas and work thru a bigger area. If a hat is not color fast it will not mater the cleaning method, color will be removed. When I have used Scout on dirt stains, after testing the hat, it worked fine. I did not let it dry completely, but followed the directions and it worked great. I have screwed up and let it dry and it is a devil to remove from the felt.

White gas - it will work to mitigate most oil and loose particle stains. I had gotten some spagetti sauce splatter on a vtg Stetson Startoliner and the bath worked magic on the marks. It all came out. I have gotten to were I swoosh the hat periodically in the gas, vigorousely brushed the stained areas in the gas. I generally do do keep the hat in the Coleman White Gas for longer than an hour. I have tried on a bunch of hats and longer than an hour has not given better results. In fact I surmised that it tended to dry the sweats out as indicated by the amount of leather conditioner the sweat would absorb after cleaning.

Here is a pic of the container that I use. I utilize a glass electric pole insulator to weight the hat in the fluid. It is not necessary to submerge the entire hat all the time. The stained area needs the fluid the most. Periodically swooshing keeps the fluid circulated and working the particles loose. I filter (small micron filters) and re-use the fluid several times.

IMG_7811-M.jpg

Here is the kicker story - I had accidently had my VS Silvermist beaver colored hat take flight in a wind gust and fall in the charcoal ashes next to a brush fire at my cabn this past summer. The charcoal immediately stained the hat as it had fallen and skidded thru the stuff. The charocal was from pine with a lot of sap and I knew that the sticky oily stuff was still in the charcoal. I got the hat picked up quickly and into Coleman White Gas (always have it handy at the cabin). Swooshed, brushed with my surrendered toothbrush (only brush that I had at that moment at the lake cabin) and got the hat out of the liquid within 15 miniutes. All of the stain, oli, spots came out. I got it out quickly as I was worried about the leather head band. On top of the gas in the pail was a light oil film and dark spots suspended on the surface and just below. When I shoosh vtg hats I get particles on the bottom, this time on the surface. The hat air dryed quickly in the breeze on the shaded dock. I treated the leather with some shoe leather conditioner(Allen Edmonds) I had on hand. The hat turned out GREAT. Sparkling clean - like nothing had happened.

Lot of different reported outcomes for sure. I would suggest identifing the stain you wish to remove and then choose the cleaning tool or chemicals accordingly.

I am happy to report success with both cleaners for the apropriate stains. Best, Eric -

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Dang, you are a lucky person to have turned a potential nightmare into a successful "cleaned" and happy results. Had that happen to one of my nice hats, I maybe would have cleaned the hats with all the tears I would have been weeping on the hat! Of course, I may not have made it even that far, I think heart failure would have ended things right then and there, for me!

Rick Blaine

Rick, Ive had great success with Coleman gas on 2 vintage hats but the spray sounds a lot more convenient. Obviously would hate to end up with your Champ result though. Also the gas didn't do much for stains on ribbon, how does the Scout/Bickmore do on grosgrain ribbon?

The spray does quite well on the ribbons, too.
I just ordered three more cans, we'll see how it performs on other colors. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deuter