Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nothing to wear, need advice.

shortbow

Practically Family
I am at a loss, wondering if any of you more worldly Gents can help.

I have never had a winter coat that I really liked. I mean in love with as I am with OR's and Borsalino hats.

I live in a rural and blue collar town, and I all ready tend to stick out like a sore thumb and don't want to rile the natives too much more by going with something like a cashmere overcoat, which I would go for if I lived in the city. Neither can I get comfortable with the idea of A2's and all that kind of thing. I also want something that I can get around in the bush easily with and is hard wearing while at the same time looking stylish if I get down to the Big Smoke. Comfort range about plus 45-50 to minus 20 F. Circa 'teens to 1940 in looks and material. Also don't really want to look like I just demobed from the military.

Pipe dream?

shortbow

Practically Family
James, that is a very cool jacket, but I would need a whole lot more warmth. 20 below is serious cold, and we get about two to six weeks of that every winter with the other two months averaging about 0.

CP, thanks for the links, some very neat stuff there as well.

At this point I'm thinking Filson Mackinaw or a Pea Coat, but everything I buy is mail-order, so want to be a bit circumspect in my choice before I shell out the shekels. Sure would be nice to be able to try one on before buying. I really wonder in the Mackinaw or the Pea Coat would do the trick temp wise, mold to the body and feel intimately comfortable and not be too heavy to get about in on shoe shoes and such.

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
If you are concerned about not appearing "city" you can't go wrong with Filson. Their wool is tightly woven and, like classic English woolens, almost waterproof because of the weave. My suggestion, get a size large enough to layer a light down vest underneath. I've been out in below zero for hours in a heavy wool sweater under a light down vest under a Barbour waxed coat and been plenty comfortable. When it is that cold you want your torso warm, then your head, then your hands. Hands are easy - stick them in your pockets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld