Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No e-bay hats for big heads

Vardeman Sneed

Familiar Face
It seems that decent hats for large noggins are rare on e-bay.

I've found a few in the 7-1/2 to 7-7/8 range, but they don't seem to be of any quality. I guess I really need to re-read the haiku's for large headed men.

Bob

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
They are extemely rare but I have gotten one vintage Resistol fedora stingy and several good quality Western hats on eBay, and I wear a 7 7/8. Western hats are far more common and I've seen several posts where FL members convert these into fine fedoras. I recently won a huge Resistol that I put a teardrop crease in the crown but I can't bring myself to cut the brim width down. I kinda like the "hugeness" of the hat right now! Keep looking though, you'll find something.

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
If you have the time and patience, some good stuffs may appear. During my search for 7 3/8 at least 1-2 may come up once a week. And during that search too, 7 1/2 and even 7 5/8 may appear as well. I sometimes put them in my watch list too, just to see how far the price can go. Unfortunately, most of 'em skyrocketed, naturally. But not always. So that's hope.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
I'm a 7 1/2 long oval and I feel your pain. I see lots of great vintage hats for the smaller sizes come and go for reasonable prices on Ebay. But 7 1/2's demand the big bucks. I did score a really nice Open Road by putting a "Want to Buy" ad in the local free classifieds paper. Actually got a call from someone who had a OR 25, but of course it was 7 1/8.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
This is why, until Johnnyphi came along, I had abandoned my hopes of finding vintage lids. The only pay-off for hours and hours of my life hunting turned out to be little more than bad eye-strain. Most of the ones I do find quickly go beyond my price range.

Do your due diligence and ask not only for the size if it is not listed but for a measurement around the inside of the hat. Sometimes that helps to unearth a few. They are out there. People with big heads existed even then. Not as many as do today but enough to find a few after 50 years. ;) :D

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
You could try calling this guy's doctor. :D

3214029842_03c3aedb53_m.jpg

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
You could do a little hat blasphemy : find a vintage that's too small but has a brim wider than what you'd normally wear. Next have your custom hatter of choice remove the original sweat, ribbon, and liner and reblock it to fit your grateful oversized melon. (Warning: the next sentence may cause those with weak constitutions some pain): I have my sights on vintage Borsalino.
Sefton ( 7 3/4" Extra Long Oval)

Rider said:
I'm a 7 1/2. My theory is that men's heads are growing as evolution continues?

I think we discussed this once but my recollection is that it wasn't so much evolution but nutrition in general. Genes are a limiting fact yes but there is an upper and lower limit into which you could fall based on nutrition. The era to which we subscribe our hats to is centered around a Depression so finding a hat that is quite large might be less common simply due to poor nutrition in a time of want

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
I think we discussed this once but my recollection is that it wasn't so much evolution but nutrition in general. Genes are a limiting fact yes but there is an upper and lower limit into which you could fall based on nutrition. The era to which we subscribe our hats to is centered around a Depression so finding a hat that is quite large might be less common simply due to poor nutrition in a time of want
Actually, it's because jamespowers already bought
all the large hats.

MattJH

One Too Many
You know, I posted something very similar when I first started posting regularly about two years ago. Since then, from eBay I've acquired:

A 7 5/8 LO Stetson Stratoliner
A 7 5/8 Stetson Whippet
A 7 5/8 Champ Featherweight
A 7 5/8 LO MacLachlan
A 7 3/4 LO Knox Bowler
A 7 3/4 LO Dobbs Golden Coach
A 7 5/8 Knox 20
A 7 5/8 Dobbs 25
A 7 5/8 Herbert Johnson made for Brooks Brothers
A 7 5/8 Adam Executive
A 7 5/8 Adam Bowler

And the list goes on and on. I've resold plenty, but kept the ones I thought worked the best for me. The truth of the matter is that they are out there, even though the pickings look bleak upon initial cursory glances. You have to be persistent, consistent, meticulous, dedicated, and insanely obsessive-compulsive to find them.

Good luck! :)

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Your Talking about Carter, Right ??? Right ???

Dumbjaw said:
You have to be persistent, consistent, meticulous, dedicated, and insanely obsessive-compulsive to find them.

Good luck! :)
I think that covers most of us PUMPKINHEADS :eek: :eek:

HatfeathersVint

New in Town
I only have 3 in stock that are larger, and they're not the greatest...more fun time hats than sharp dressed man hats. I don't remember finding too many in my 7 years of "hunting" that would fit above an XL sized melon. It's the same way with shoes and clothing, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld