Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

newcomer...

murena

One of the Regulars
hello to all,

for two days i have registered at this very interesting forum, and i thought it is time to indroduce myself a little.
my name is Philipp, i am 24 years old and i´am from austria. i found this forum by fortunate coincidence and i was interested from the first moment.
i am very interested in historical clothes from WW2, especially flight jackets from the german luftwaffe (but i haven´t got something against a kind of nice leather jackets;) ).

so i hope you get an idea of myself :)

nice regards,

Philipp

PS.: i hope you understand my bad english :rolleyes:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Welcome, Phillip, it's good to have you here. We have a very international membership and are always grateful for input from ever corner of the globe.

Foofoogal

Banned
Welcome!
My brother said Austria was the most beautiful place and he has been all over the place. lol I always have wanted to see it.
I am sure that there are others here on the FL that are Austrian as well if you need help with your words from time to time.

murena

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
It IS! I was there in 1989. It was just wonderful.

And I am 1/2 Austrian. :)

...thank you very much for the warm welcome

yes i´am with you, austria (especially vienna) is very nice! hey you are 1/2 austrian? thats cool, please tell a little bit more :)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
murena said:
...thank you very much for the warm welcome

yes i´am with you, austria (especially vienna) is very nice! hey you are 1/2 austrian? thats cool, please tell a little bit more :)

Not much to tell - my paternal grandparents were both from the Austrian/Italian Alps. Innsbruck and close by, I think. The generations in my family are long, so I have a photo of them taken about the time of their marriage, in 1902. They came to the USA soon after, and died before I met them. They were both vegetarians!
I want very much to go back. I saw Innsbruck (though I knew nothing of the family connection at the time), and Salzburg. I would like very much to see Vienna!

murena

One of the Regulars
i think that´s very great when i read that someone like you (who is at home in ohio) has one of his roots in austria :)
one day i will travel to america, a lot of people told me it´s very exciting. everything should be sooooo big by contrast with our country.

scotrace (or to all members from the fedora lounge) one question; what do american people think about austria? or what do americans figure when they read something about austria?

regards,

Philipp :)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Americans are rather geographically challenged... I think many would be hard-pressed to point to Austria on a map!

Otherwise, I'm sure the musical The Sound of Music comes to mind for many.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Grüß Gott!
I'll just add my "welcome" to the pile: you will enjoy your time here, and there are many, many folks who know the answer to just about anything you might want to ask. Keine Angst: dein Englisch ist total verstehbar! Und glaube viel besser als mein Deutsch....

I was in your lovely city for the first time just a year ago, and it lived up to every expectation. Such food! Who knew that boiled beef could be one of the ethereal delicacies of the table! I fear it will be some time until my next Tafelspitz, but I've managed to do a reasonable Zwiebelrostbraten here in Massachusetts.

As far as what Amis think: well, Scotrace is right, unfortunately: most people probably don't think much about it at all, and if they do, they think Strauss and Operetta...not that that's bad, of course, but about as accurate as the Europeans who think that in America they have to sweep the dead bodies out of the street in the morning because they've seen too many Westerns and Gangster movies.

For what it's worth—as someone whose spoken German is fairly good—I found the Wiener dialect much less confounding, and the people of your city much friendlier, than advertised. Favorite thing to do? Bestätigungsmuseum! (for those who may be going there...in Vienna all burials for several centuries have been handled by the city itself. The "burial museum" is in the old [and still operating] morgue...they've got ALL the stuff: the burial announcement for Mozart [no, it's NOT like what you saw in Amadeus]; very likely the bier that carried him to the grave; and more great death-and-burial-related stuff than you could shake a bone at. Well worth the trip if you are interested in this stuff)

Enjoy your stay here at the FL, and come see America!

"Skeet"

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to The Lounge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

This place is great you will find very interesting and caring people here.

The first thing that comes to mind regarding Austria: MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vienna has been an important center of musical innovation. 18th and 19th century composers were drawn to the city due to the patronage of the Habsburgs, and made Vienna the European capital of classical music. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Ludwig van Beethoven and Johann Strauss II, among others, were associated with the city. During the Baroque period, Slavic and Hungarian folk forms influenced Austrian music. Vienna's status began its rise as a cultural center in the early 1500s, and was focused around instruments including the lute.

That about covers my first thoughts......;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe