Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New RMC Type A-2 Roughwear "23380"

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not my jacket; rather, I just saw it on RMC's blog:

http://www.realmccoys.co.jp/blog/shop/2014/05/type-a-2-roughwear-23380.html

I know very little about A-2s, so I cannot speak to its authenticity. That said, it looks mighty nice to me.

R0071347.jpg

R0071353.jpg

R0071292.jpg

R0071316.jpg

R0071424.jpg

R0071456.jpg

R0071217.jpg

R0071203.jpg

Brettafett

One Too Many
Have seen a good selection across WW2 contracts. $$$$!!!!
Does anyone know if they use the same supplier as GW? I have heard that some of their leather tends to be quite shiny... ?

Superfluous

Have seen a good selection across WW2 contracts. $$$$!!!!
Does anyone know if they use the same supplier as GW? I have heard that some of their leather tends to be quite shiny... ?

RMC and GW both use Shinki leather for certain of their jackets. Not sure if this A-2 is Shinki.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
John told me that Shinki presses all the character out of its hides for its Japanese buyers such as Real McCoy's. Japanese market, he told me, prefer their jackets without "imperfection" - meaning with absolutely no hide graining, which is lame-o-rama.

When he spec'd his hides he had to say, "Nooooooo, leave it au naturale"

Superfluous

John told me that Shinki presses all the character out of its hides for its Japanese buyers such as Real McCoy's. Japanese market, he told me, prefer their jackets without "imperfection" - meaning with absolutely no hide graining, which is lame-o-rama.

When he spec'd his hides he had to say, "Nooooooo, leave it au naturale"

I have two jackets with Shinki hides (RMC and Himel) and my experience does not parallel John's observation. The Shinki on my RMC Buco has wonderful grain and character -- definitely not overly pressed.

RealMcCoysBucoJ10055_zpscf6db233.jpg

RealMcCoysBucoJ10053_zpse6dfea8f.jpg

RealMcCoysBucoJ10054_zps816508eb.jpg

Blackadder

I agree with John in relation to their A-2s and not the BUCO. My observation is that their Buco are often more mis-match than their A-2s. RMC's A-2s are in fact quite "shinny". I cannot say that their A-2s are entirely without grains but they do look processed/corrected to me as opposed to the Buco line or even the Joe McCoy's. My understanding is that according to RMC, this is what the WW2 "chrome tanned" may be even split leather A-2s look like. This may have caused the opinions that the RMC A-2s are not as good as those made under the old management. I'd say that the new RMC's A-2s do look very "processed" compared to the Few and the Toys McCoy's.

RayR

One of the Regulars
Sorry to be late to the party. Here is a RM A-2 that looks very similar, but the label confuses me. Can anyone identify the Contract Number? Is this a copy of an original contract?
I think the "S" on the end refers to steer rather than HH.

$T2eC16NHJHwFG08uWM(UBSK4dheYMQ~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16FHJHQFFhs)V1YsBSK4dnG0hQ~~60_57.jpg

Attachments

• RMC front ed.jpg
    RMC front ed.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 412
  • RMC labes ed.jpg
    RMC labes ed.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 465

devilish

A-List Customer
It is my understanding that RMC do use 'pressed' leather on their A-2's and that they use basically the same pattern for every contract. Just slightly tweaking small things to give the appearance of a difference. Personally, I am not really a fan and think their jackets are a little 'soulless'.

archbury918

One of the Regulars
I recall those McCoy labels from the mid 90's. As Andrew stated it's a fake or contrived contract number.
McCoy had an American agent selling their jackets. It was in Illinois. They lasted a few years. They used that fictional NY location to help lend 'authenticity' to the reproduction jacket.
This was the era were the interest in WWII jackets was just taking off. The demand for contract specific jackets and absolute adherence to their reproduction wasn't as great as it has become. It still had a MSRP of over $200 USD back then.

Blackadder

This is one of Real McCoy's old regular item. Real McCoy's regular A-2 are not of specific contract hence the RM's own label. RM sometimes re-make a specific contract for a particular season. Those special remake like the Roughwear and Dubow will have the correct contract number on the repro and they will be close copy of the original label. Some were discontinued like the Doniger for Fall 2010.
Regular item
http://www.realmccoys-nagoya.co.jp/?pid=82675886
Specific contract special item for Fall 2013
http://www.realmccoys-nagoya.co.jp/?pid=62591613
Specific contract item for Fall 2014
http://www.realmccoys-nagoya.co.jp/?pid=76487924

Last edited:

Blackadder

+1 the pressed leather just doesn't do it for me. It feels far too processed.

Actually, the specific contract repros are short term production that uses slightly different leather which is less pressed than the regular items.

Blackadder

I recall those McCoy labels from the mid 90's. As Andrew stated it's a fake or contrived contract number.
McCoy had an American agent selling their jackets. It was in Illinois. They lasted a few years. They used that fictional NY location to help lend 'authenticity' to the reproduction jacket.
This was the era were the interest in WWII jackets was just taking off. The demand for contract specific jackets and absolute adherence to their reproduction wasn't as great as it has become. It still had a MSRP of over $200 USD back then.

If this is from the 90s then it is likely made by the Few i.e. RMNZ. According to this below
http://note.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/detail/n221636

This is likely from the year 88-92 and is indeed steerhide model.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld