Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New leather jacket staining from water?

Lyles

New in Town
Hey guys, recently I visited Lewis Leathers in London and picked up one of their Lumberjack jackets in light brown sheep. I’ve had quite a number of jackets from them now but nothing in brown.

I absolutely love the jacket, but the leather itself tends to darken significantly with just a drop of water. While Id love for the jacket to patina, it seems like it’s darkening way to quickly almost like how a natural veg tan would. I reached out to a fellow Lewis fan here on the fedora lounge and he used Pecard Antique Dressing on his which looks great! I’ve ordered some and plan on conditioning the jacket to prevent water from from marking so easily. Just thought I’d post here and see if anyone had any suggestions just as I know conditioning a brand new jacket is generally not common.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9365.jpeg
    IMG_9365.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9521.jpeg
    IMG_9521.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9520.jpeg
    IMG_9520.jpeg
    413 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9522.jpeg
    IMG_9522.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 64

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
I would suggest getting the whole jacket uniformly wet and then allow it to dry properly to balance out the current water marks before applying the pecards. If you apply the pecards now you risk preserving the current water marks.
Also when applying the pecards go easy on it, a light coating rubbed in well with your hands, allow to absorb for 48 - 72 hrs . It is easy to apply more but very hard to remove excess if you apply too much. Being a new jacket it won't need or take much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vetox88