Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New hat: color?

Kas

New in Town
Hey, first post here.

I bought a black 'Fiebig' fedora 2 years ago which has completely lost its shape - bad maintenance. It can be repaired at the shop I bought it at for 30 euros, but doing that to a 45 euros hat is a little too much. Besides that, I have begun to dislike the color black for daywear. So, I'm looking for something new!

-My favourite jacket is a blue (lighter than navy) knee-length trenchcoat
-suits are gray and charcoal
-leather is mostly brown - shoes, gloves, briefcase
-overcoat is black but I'm looking for a substitute for daywear, planning on keeping this one for nights. The new overcoat is likely to be a light brown overcheck or a navy peacoat
-I'm caucasian with very dark brown hair, buzzcut (1.5 centimeter)

I am in doubt between a gray and a navy fedora. A gray would look good with my suits, but could create a monochromatic look. On the other hand, a blue one could create an effect of 'too much blue' when wearing the trench.

Advice?

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

Welcome to the forum! :)

I would recommend a grey because it is more versatile, and if you are going to have just one hat, this is desirable. A grey will combine well with your wardrobe. You can avoid the monochromatic look by selecting a grey which do not match the other clothes' grey, but that combines, instead.
There are a good deal of shades of grey: probably a mid-to (not too) dark grey will suit nicely, even a light or pearl grey, if you prefer more contrast.
Blue is a good colour, but I think it is not so versatile, and will not give you so much play with your wardrobe. I would leave it for the moment, you can acquire a blue hat when you want to have more hats... as many of us do!
No prob' with leathers: brown is considered to be less dressy than black, BTW.

HTH!

leo

One of the Regulars
I suggest a medium or charcoal gray first.

Later you can get one in blue. :)

Bill

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree here about the gray hats. Gray is a much more versatile color to begin with and a gray hat nicely accompanies almost any suit/coat.

If you're going to invest in a new hat, start with gray and build around that. Blue would be an acceptable next step followed by either a black or brown.

I prefer to match my hat band to my shoes and overcoat; but that's preference, not requirement.

Keep in mind that you generally doff your hat when entering a building; you don't get your coat off until you're ready to settle down. I believe it is more important to match hat to coat, as opposed to hat to suit.

Of course, that's my humble opinion.

warbird

One Too Many
Definitely go grey first, medium grey. Then go brown. Those are IMO the 2 most versatile colors. Between them you can match just about anything.

carter

I'll Lock Up
warbird said:
Definitely go grey first, medium grey. Then go brown. Those are IMO the 2 most versatile colors. Between them you can match just about anything.

I'm with Warbird on this one. Medium grey, then a mid-brown (chocolate may be OK too), then a midnight or dark navy blue, and, finally, a rust, carmel, or tan just to round things out.

By then, you should be hooked. The rest is up to you. ;) :)

Duck

Practically Family
They are telling you right. Start with a med. grey, then a brown, then a thin ribbon silverbelly.

Viper Man

Banned
warbird said:

Great advice. Greys go well with cooler colors and looks great with black. Browns go well with warmer and earth tone shades. Of course, black and possibly charcoal goes with just about everything (except brown?). lol

donCarlos

Practically Family
I agree with everyone here - grey is the color. At least for your wardrobe.

And one question from me - I´ve noticed that most loungers don´t wear (or maybe even have) black fedoras. Why is that? I think that black fedoras have a deep tradition, especially in europe. And they are quite versatile, as well (but dull, that´s true)

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
Isn't there a grey called "steel grey" which has a slightly blue tint to it? If I'm right,that may be a good one to get.

Welcome to the lounge,Kas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe